Biff

Mega Monster Moderator
Reaction Score
We need some of those inflatable cushion thingies like the Mars Rover had. :p

kml_padded.jpg

Blueballer

Transhumanist Consultant
Reaction Score
After looking at it pretty much frame by frame in the best angle I could see (baseline) I pretty much agree with UcMiami's summary. A foul could have been called but I do not see the egregious foul some are calling. The most there was, was arm on arm from #4, but she also had all ball with her hand and her force and the force of 31 also getting on top of the ball dragged KML down. Little to no body contact.

Since when is body contact required to call a foul? Her arm is clearly inside KML's arm and makes lots of hard contact. The hand may be part of the ball the the inside of the arm is not. Very clear foul from my perspective.

Reaction Score
It is remarkable how Louisville avoids fouls when the "physical contact" becomes muggery (I'm not absolutely certain that is a word, but it sounds so English). Coach Daily posits that Louisville fouls on every defensive sequence and essentially dares the officials to call all of the committed fouls. That is certainly what occurred during the Louisville - Baylor game in last year's tournament and came close to making WCBB a laughingstock. I understand that Uconn does not play patty cake and gives as good as it gets. My point is that, if you are going to call Dolson for moving screens (which she has been doing since her freshman year), then, respectfully (and I use that word advisedly in the context of today's officials), fouls should reasonably be assessed for each Louisville mugging.

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
Lin Dunn ‏@coachlindunn 3h
@RebeccaLobo @DishNSwish thout Uconn/Louisville GM today most physical I hav seen. Refs let them play...Interesting.
Interesting - I don't think it was the most physical game Uconn has played this year by quite a margin, and generally I thought it was pretty well officiated. As always this year, I think they are letting a lot of body contact go and focused too much on absolutely incidental arm/hand contact in the lane. It really bothers me that post players are held to different standards in the lane vs a foot outside the lane. It is 'consistent' but when those guys are banging bodies pretty hard, let your arm get away from your body and graze a player and they call it a foul - displace them with your body and it is cool.

Biff

Mega Monster Moderator
Reaction Score
Since when is body contact required to call a foul? Her arm is clearly inside KML's arm and makes lots of hard contact. The hand may be part of the ball the the inside of the arm is not. Very clear foul from my perspective.

"A foul could have been called"

"...there was, was arm on arm from #4"

That's what I wrote. Where exactly did I say body contact is required?

Some people seemed to indicate that she was slammed down by body contact. I disagree. I also, after several reviews, can understand why there was no foul called real time.

Zorro

Nuestro Zorro Amigo
Reaction Score
From the AP recap;

UConn did receive a scare late in the first half when Kaleena Mosqueda-Lewis went down with 18 seconds left, injuring her left elbow on a jump ball play.

Whatever else, I don't believe it was a jump ball play.
'

DaddyChoc

Choc Full of UConn
Reaction Score
Interesting - I don't think it was the most physical game Uconn has played this year by quite a margin, and generally I thought it was pretty well officiated. As always this year, I think they are letting a lot of body contact go and focused too much on absolutely incidental arm/hand contact in the lane. It really bothers me that post players are held to different standards in the lane vs a foot outside the lane. It is 'consistent' but when those guys are banging bodies pretty hard, let your arm get away from your body and graze a player and they call it a foul - displace them with your body and it is cool.
no different than any other team... people are just stuck on that Baylor game

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
no different than any other team... people are just stuck on that Baylor game
I agree - they have always been physical, and I think they average significantly more fouls per game than Uconn, and they were certainly one of the teams known for disrupting cutters with bumps and clutching, but no different from most good defensive teams. That Baylor game was just one of the more poorly officiated games at both ends of the court and not dissimilar to a number of other very physical, very poorly officiated games that did not lead to 'the biggest upset in NCAA history'!

Icebear

Andlig Ledare
Reaction Score
My wife, who played college ball, said that she was taught how to foul, and said someone should make sure the team knows how to fall. Maybe we could bring Tiffany Hayes in for lessons.
Skiers learn quickly to never extend limbs when falling.

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
After I saw the replay, I said hyper extended, she'll be back in the game. They always look/feel bad, but players get over them pretty quickly.

And the more I look at the replay the less it looks like a foul to me. Though I can't really tell about the body contact. But both players look like they got the ball cleanly.

Reaction Score
A couple of times I just watched the post when we had the ball, regardless of where it was actually, and the banging that was going on, with UL trying to displace Stef, looked like a goal line stand...

DobbsRover2

Slap me 10
Reaction Score
Again, Taylor may have got all ball, but it's more a question of what happened from behind with Slaughter.

Slaughter was involved in the play 4 minutes before on which Stewie buried the second of consecutive 3s to put UConn up 11. She and Stewie bumped chests inside the arc and Slaughter fell down. Stewie immediately headed out to 3 land for the pass and the open shot. Things were definitely chippy out there.

Icebear

Andlig Ledare
Reaction Score
I thought Taylor was the player behind KML?

CCinCT

Poster
Reaction Score
After I saw the replay, I said hyper extended, she'll be back in the game. They always look/feel bad, but players get over them pretty quickly.

And the more I look at the replay the less it looks like a foul to me. Though I can't really tell about the body contact. But both players look like they got the ball cleanly.
I thought Taylor was the player behind KML?

Taylor (#31 to McCallie) was the player behind KML with the clean block. Slaughter (#4) was the one who hammered KML to the ground - got SOME ball and ALL arm.

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
Taylor (#31 to McCallie) was the player behind KML with the clean block. Slaughter (#4) was the one who hammered KML to the ground - got SOME ball and ALL arm.
After watching a few times, gonna have to disagree with you.

easttexastrash

Stay Classy!
Reaction Score
Watched the video and it didn't look like a foul. It is hard to brace your fall when force comes from two angles.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dogsdogsdog

Top Bottom