KML Doubtful... | Page 2 | The Boneyard

KML Doubtful...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Replicant

Nexus 6 Leader
Reaction Score
Since I am not an MD, and since I have not seen her injury personally, or ever talked to her, I have no info of value.
I'm not an MD either...just a dumb old jock. :rolleyes:

Icebear

Andlig Ledare
Reaction Score
Among other names for it are "horse gummit," "dead leg," "old grandaddy," "corked leg," and "chopper." In the UK and Europe it is more associated with a bruise, such as, in Rugby or Australian Football. In the US it is associated with cramps, generally, resulting from depletion of electrolytes and other minerals like potasium. It is rather interesting to see the variances. In Sweden the quadriceps bruise is referred to as a "thigh cookie" and in Norway a "thigh hen." In Portugal it is called "the paralizer." In Israel, it is the "regal etz," the wooden leg. My favorite is now officially, "morso del ciuccio, the donkey's bite."

"The term may date back to American slang of the 1880s, possibly from the pitcher Charlie "Old Hoss" Radbourn who is said to have suffered from cramps."

Replicant

Nexus 6 Leader
Reaction Score
Among other names for it are "horse gummit," "dead leg," "old grandaddy," "corked leg," and "chopper." In the UK and Europe it is more associated with a bruise, such as, in Rugby or Australian Football. In the US it is associated with cramps, generally, resulting from depletion of electrolytes and other minerals like potasium. It is rather interesting to see the variances. In Sweden the quadriceps bruise is referred to as a "thigh cookie" and in Norway a "thigh hen." In Portugal it is called "the paralizer."

"The term may date back to American slang of the 1880s, possibly from the pitcher Charlie "Old Hoss" Radbourn who is said to have suffered from cramps."
Wrong, wrong, wrong...KLM has a quad contusion! ;)

Though if I ever get another CHARLIE HORSE, I'll call it a "Thigh Cookie"! :p

Icebear

Andlig Ledare
Reaction Score
Wrong, wrong, wrong...KLM had a quad contusion! ;)

Though if I ever get another CHARLIE HORSE, I'll call it a "Thigh Cookie"! :p

I liked that one, too. Italy has numerous names regionally, including Lopez, vecchia (old woman), dura (hard one) and oppossum but I do like "donkey's bite."

Replicant

Nexus 6 Leader
Reaction Score
I liked that one, too. Italy has numerous names regionally, including Lopez, vecchia (old woman), dura (hard one) and oppossum but I do like "donkey's bite."
I'd caution using "dura" in mixed company. ;)

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
Likely neither. Not living in the UK charlie horse is a name for cramps and not a bruise.
I don't live in the UK and the bruising (quad contusion) was always the charlie horse. Cramps were cramps, and never of the quad. The hammie or the calf.

But again, depends on where in the US you grew up/live.

Icebear

Andlig Ledare
Reaction Score
I don't live in the UK and the bruising (quad contusion) was always the charlie horse. Cramps were cramps, and never of the quad. The hammie or the calf.

But again, depends on where in the US you grew up/live.
You've always limped along to your own drummer. :)

arty155

Post Poster
Reaction Score
Since I am not an MD, and since I have not seen her injury personally, or ever talked to her, I have no info of value.
Charlie Horse Puppet.png

"That's never stopped me from showing up! Are you going to make a career out of letting others speak for you???
(PS: Reminds me - as one professional to another... my complements on your tie!!!)"

Reaction Score
growing up and playing ball in north jersey, i had plenty of charlie horses, and so did the rest of da guys. can't remember any of us ever having a cramp. you got kicked or kneed in the leg you had a charlie horse. and stretching it out would never have helped.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Darkbloom

Top Bottom