KML Doubtful... | The Boneyard

KML Doubtful...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
John Altavilla@jaltavilla
Says #kml is doubtful for penn state on thursday

-----------------------------

Bad news. This concerns me because Penn St can put up the points. Without KML tonight, the offense wasn't nearly as crisp. Hope she recovers soon!

Olde Coach

Rip, Olde Coach
Reaction Score

Bad news. This concerns me because Penn St can put up the points. Without KML tonight, the offense wasn't nearly as crisp. Hope she recovers soon!

The Bankster will cover for most of KML's minutes. And she will give The Penn State kids numerous fits. Do not be worried.

alexrgct

RIP, Alex
Reaction Score
I'm not too worried. Penn State does not have the interior defenders UMD does. I expect Uconn will get more points in the paint and more points in transition than tonight. Plus Bria can't possibly be as much of a non-factor as she was tonight. That's not a knock on her, but rather an expression of confidence.

And yes, I was amazed at how much effort Banks gave tonight.

Reaction Score
KML was walking with a very pronounced limp and was clearly in discomfort. I'm sure she will be fine, but she was one hurtin' woman.

doggydaddy

Grampysorus Rex
Reaction Score

Penn State has scored 63 and 65 against the only decent team they have played.

And Uconn didn't look nearly as crisp even with Lewis on the court.

I have a feeling that Uconn might play a little better offensively on Thursday.

Replicant

Nexus 6 Leader
Reaction Score
A quad contusion is a charlie horse. They hurt like hell at first, but I'm a little surprised to hear they're already projecting she'll still be on ice by Thursday. I suspect she'll be upgraded and available for PSU.

Reaction Score
I think PSU is overrated, it should be an easy win.... and a much less physical game

Icebear

Andlig Ledare
Reaction Score
Contusion of the quad. An injury of varying degrees but the exact injury that led the western bear cub to miss last year for ASU and red shirt when it occurred in the first game of the year. She took a knee to the quad, too.

pinotbear

Silly Ol' Bear
Reaction Score
A quad contusion is a charlie horse. They hurt like hell at first, but I'm a little surprised to hear they're already projecting she'll still be on ice by Thursday. I suspect she'll be upgraded and available for PSU.

In my experience, a Charlie Horse is a cramp in the calf muscle area. KML suffered a blow to the quad muscle. Not the same thing.

Icebear

Andlig Ledare
Reaction Score
Contusion is the description of how it happened. The result can be anything from a simple bruise to a rupture. The bear cub's resulted in a rupture of the quad muscle. My own quad injury was a rupture of the quad tendon between the muscle and the patella.

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
In my experience, a Charlie Horse is a cramp in the calf muscle area. KML suffered a blow to the quad muscle. Not the same thing.
My experience is completely the opposite. Cramps were cramps. When we got hit, kneed in the thigh (quad), we called it a charly horse. Colloquialism. :)

Icebear

Andlig Ledare
Reaction Score
My experience is completely the opposite. Cramps were cramps. When we got hit, kneed in the thigh (quad), we called it a charly horse. Colloquialism. :)
It is indeed a term that shifts locally. In CT and PA, and I believe the NE in general, pinot's definition is the more common. Most definitions lend themselves to the cramping definition rather than a bruise.

UConnCat

Wise Woman
Reaction Score
I think Geno was being a little playful with KML's status for Thursday:

“Probable. No, doubtful for Thursday,’’ Auriemma said. “I sound like Bill Belichick now, huh.’’

I suspect it's up in the air and will depend on whether she's able to practice on Wed.

Replicant

Nexus 6 Leader
Reaction Score
Bingo...knee to thigh! And I'm still thinking she'll be a "probable" by kick-off Thursday.

doggydaddy

Grampysorus Rex
Reaction Score
She played through it for 9-10 minutes in the first half. It clearly tightened up at halftime. She rode the stationary bike during the 2nd half but it never got loosened up enough.

Almost three days of treatment might be enough to have her good enough to play.

Icebear

Andlig Ledare
Reaction Score
Be very cautious about how quickly KML will be expected to return to action. Here is information on quadriceps contusions and ruptures ranging from my injury to the bear cub's to simple bruising. Remember these are large load bearing muscles just like a ham string pull except that they control extension. Her ability to jump will likely be curtailed, as well as, landing comfortably. Going downstairs is still a challenge.

http://emedicine.medscape.com/article/91473-treatment

Replicant

Nexus 6 Leader
Reaction Score
Be very cautious about how quickly KML will be expected to return to action. Here is information on quadriceps contusions and ruptures ranging from my injury to the bear cub's to simple bruising. Remember these are large load bearing muscles just like a ham string pull except that they control extension. Her ability to jump will likely be curtailed, as well as, landing comfortably. Going downstairs is still a challenge.

http://emedicine.medscape.com/article/91473-treatment
Ice - I understand your relative had this injury, but his must have been a hellacious collision/event to have derailed his entire season. I had a handful back-in-the-day (most from football, a few from bball) and they're no damn fun. Sounds like Meyers has had his share as well.

The velocity of the collision is the key and the angle important, but secondary. Kaleena's did not happen at high speed...it was more of a scrum of bodies as she drove the middle of the key. Obviously someone's knee caught Kaleena's thigh just right/wrong (angle). Geno having a little fun with the "probable" and "doubtful" comments suggest to me that this is not of the serious variety.

I was far more concerned about Ms. Bria's ankle. :)

Icebear

Andlig Ledare
Reaction Score
Ice - I understand your relative had this injury, but his must have been a hellacious collision/event to have derailed his entire season. I had a handful back-in-the-day (most from football, a few from bball) and they're no damn fun. Sounds like Meyers has had his share as well.

The velocity of the collision is the key and the angle important, but secondary. Kaleena's did not happen at high speed...it was more of a scrum of bodies as she drove the middle of the key. Obviously someone's knee caught Kaleena's thigh just right/wrong (angle). Geno having a little fun with the "probable" and "doubtful" comments suggest to me that this is not of the serious variety.

I was far more concerned about Ms. Bria's ankle. :)

It's she, and she plays for Arizona State. I believe it happened while competing for a rebound not in any type of breakaway situation at speed.

As a catcher I had my share of such impacts blocking the plate, took some pretty good beatings and handed out my share, too. My point is simply we do not know.

They did take the standard precautions tightly wrapping the thigh. Velocity is only part of the formula. What really matters is momentum (MxV) and the particular location of impact. One of the dangers of this type of injury is an internal rupture causing compartment syndrome and an internal pooling of blood within the muscle and not circulating I doubt they had good analysis of any of that last night. Geno's comments today are more hopeful. Riding the bike is a positive sign, too, but is, also, therapeutic promoting muscle contraction and moving the blood out so that is doesn't remain in the leg causing issues.

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
Half of them were from fighting with my brothers. ;)

vtcwbuff

Civil War Buff
Reaction Score

A "charlie horse" is a muscle spasm. A muscle spasm may or may not be the result of an injury. A quad contusion is the direct result of an injury. A quad contusion injury may range from mild to severe. Quad contusions

Replicant

Nexus 6 Leader
Reaction Score
A "charlie horse" is a muscle spasm. A muscle spasm may or may not be the result of an injury. A quad contusion is the direct result of an injury. A quad contusion injury may range from mild to severe. Quad contusions
"Charlie horse" is the colloquialism many athletes informally call the shot Kaleena took to her thigh. Clearly, from the technical literature, the blow (contusion) comes first and spasms (charlie horse) can follow.

Looking through the literature on the origins of "charlie horse" or "charley horse", it appears to either come from baseball or horse racing and in both cases infers being hobbled by a lame leg! :)

http://www.phrases.org.uk/meanings/charley-horse.html

Do you suppose Kaleena is telling friends and family that she has the clinical "quad contusion" or the layman's "charlie horse" and/or "nasty bruise"? ;)

Icebear

Andlig Ledare
Reaction Score
"Charlie horse" is the colloquialism many athletes informally call the shot Kaleena took to her thigh. Clearly, from the technical literature, the blow (contusion) comes first and spasms (charlie horse) can follow.

Looking through the literature on the origins of "charlie horse" or "charley horse", it appears to either come from baseball or horse racing and in both cases infers being hobbled by a lame leg! :)

http://www.phrases.org.uk/meanings/charley-horse.html

Do you suppose Kaleena is telling friends and family that she has the clinical "quad contusion" or the layman's "charlie horse" and/or "nasty bruise"? ;)

Likely neither. Not living in the UK charlie horse is a name for cramps and not a bruise.

Replicant

Nexus 6 Leader
Reaction Score
Likely neither. Not living in the UK charlie horse is a name for cramps and not a bruise.
You obviously need to have the final word on this, so I'll oblige. KLM has a quad contusion of unknown severity and not a charlie horse....So Sayeth Lord High Marshall Andig Ledare!

BTW...open the link and don't assume it's UK related because of the URL.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom