KLS's Mom Calls out Sky Management | Page 3 | The Boneyard

KLS's Mom Calls out Sky Management

Reaction Score
Interesting that it was Mama Samuelson. It was previously dad who had the bad rep and lots of people said that Tara and Geno were two of the best coaches to deal with him.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
Perfectly worded. The Chicago pick did not make sense. She’s in the same position as Mosqueda-Lewis. They both can shoot, but they have weak areas in every other facet of their game.
With all due respect, while Lou may not be as athletic as many g/w’s In the W, she is much more than just a shooter. Lou has become a solid defender and rebounder, as well as a tremendous passer.

Not every rookie makes an immediate impact in the W. Let’s give Lou some time to figure things out and see how she does.

ochoopsfan

OC Hoops Fan
Reaction Score
Interesting that it was Mama Samuelson. It was previously dad who had the bad rep and lots of people said that Tara and Geno were two of the best coaches to deal with him.
Where are you getting this BS about Lous dad? He has no bad rap. I usually know when someone posts that "lots of people said" it most likely means "nobody said" and someone just wants to add their 2 cents with no basis behind their post. Head bang

Reaction Score
With all due respect, while Lou may not be as athletic as many g/w’s In the W, she is much more than just a shooter. Lou has become a solid defender and rebounder, as well as a tremendous passer.

Not every rookie makes an immediate impact in the W. Let’s give Lou some time to figure things out and see how she does.
I agree that she became better over her career, but I still don’t feel it was good enough for the W. We saw that in a lot of the big games against tougher opponents. She wasn’t assertive enough, it was easy to get her frustrated, and she could not create her own shot off the bounce, or have handles like most g/w’s in the W. Most of her offense was off the screen or from plays set up for her. At 6’3 she could’ve been a way better rebounder, defense while better, I wouldn’t say solid, and passer, there’s a lot of passers in the W. Maybe on a better team I could see it, but certainly not in Chicago.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Perfectly worded. The Chicago pick did not make sense. She’s in the same position as Mosqueda-Lewis. They both can shoot, but they have weak areas in every other facet of their game.
While they both have the same issues, I would not put KLS in the same category as Lewis. She is by far a much better overall player. Still, I can not understand how Lewis is still on a WNBA roster. But then Seattle also still has Courtney Paris as well. I do expect KLS to have an extended career somewhere. While certainly a better player than Lewis, I do not see her as a star. She was over-drafted. But again the League does not have scouts on salary and the decisions and leg work is all done by the coaches offseason. The WNBA does not have that great a reputation for making smart picks. Someone who was really over-drafted was Lewis being a prime example.

Reaction Score
KLS is averaging 7.3 MPG, 0.7 RPG, 0.4 APG, 0.3 SPG. 2.2 PPG on 28% FG from 2 and 3.

Reaction Score
i have however had the feeling that there is some animosity between Lou and Phee - i would just expect to see more interaction on social media between the 2, and there is barely any. like lots of uconn players (past/present) haven congratulated phee on her various achievements this season, but i cant really recall any coming from lou.. i guess i am boiling this down to like jealousy, unfortunately.

Oy ve.
Perhaps someone might congratulate her best friend via private text?

Reaction Score
Very sad track this thread has taken. From unhappy Mom tweet to College BFFs not Friends any more. FEW if any of us know anything "factual" than the tweet allegedly from Mom...and after that it's all speculation and totally unnecessary. UCONN fans know what KLS AND PHEESA did at and for UCONN... Let's celebrate their greatness on the College WBB team that this board is about!!

DaddyChoc

Choc Full of UConn
Reaction Score
Perhaps the most depressing thing I have heard in a while. :(

I imagine Naphessa's contrasting success is only exacerbating the situation.
Some always thought Napheesa was the better player all along...

Reaction Score
Lou probably needs 20+ minutes a night to adjust to the league. She hasn't had that luxury.

Chicago has been in a lot of tight games and every game counts for playoff positioning. She hasn't played well enough in her limited minutes to earn substantially more playing time.

That said, it can be hard to impress in such a limited role. I thought Astou Ndour was terrible when she was playing a few minutes a game as a backup. She's been great since entering the starting lineup when Jantel Lavender went down with an injury. So it's definitely possible that Lou could thrive if she did get substantial minutes consistently.

Any chance she had of earning consistent minutes was wiped out by her midseason injury. That really set her back to square one.

I think you have to say that either GM Wade or Coach Wade made a mistake here. Either he made a good pick and is making a mistake by not playing her. Or he just made a bad pick.

It would have been hard for any rookie to get a lot of PT for Chicago, though. What Chicago really needed was a 4 but there wasn't anybody that fit the bill. So instead he took Lou and has been trying to shoehorn her into that role.

The Sky shoot 3s from all 5 positions. So I definitely understand why he was intrigued by an elite shooter like Lou and why he didn't go to players like Brown or Anigwe. Honestly, it feels like he just drafted her without a real plan and said to himself "We'll figure out how she fits in the rotation eventually." And then he just never did.
First KLS on any team is NOT a bad choice or player. Injuries hurt KLS she was playing too hard to fit in, but that is kls.

Reaction Score
Oh wow! This is not going to go well for Katie Lou and the rest of the team. You got your mom posting stuff on social media!? What is this, high school basketball? Just a bad year for KLS.

Reaction Score
In an effort to "change the story"...
A "lifetime ago", I was assistant coach of Little League (10 & Under) Baseball Team. After 2nd game of the season, the Head Coach walked away from the team for personal/family reasons. I was left to manage the team the rest of the season. We had 13 Players... One was a girl. Everyone seemed to agree that our starting 9 players were the right ones. The concern came when I started inserting subs so that all got to play. More times than not, the 1st sub was the girl, Jill. And then over the next couple innings the others got in to play. After one game (a win, when everyone played 2 or more innings), the 3 boy subs parents approached me... they "complained" that I put Jill in before their sons...that I was wrong and their kids were better than her. I calmly responded that Jill worked harder in practice, she responded better to coaching, and that I was doing what I thought best for the Team...and that their sons would always get in the game. I probably even offered them the chance to take over the Team if they wanted. The parents had no response. BTW, Jill eventually turned to softball where she was a starter on the local HS Team for 4 years, and an All Metro DC Area All Star for 3 years as shortstop and went on to play in college.

As I said before... SAD how this thread went from "unhappy mom tweet", to BFFs NOT BFs anymore, to comparing who was better at UCONN. :rolleyes:

I really can not wait till we can get back to the threads about (1) Westbrook's waiver, (2) 5th Starter? (3) 13th consecutive Final Four chances, (4) how off base Charlie Creme's rankings are. (5) Who is Paige going to bring into UCONN with her? (6) etc, etc, etc.... :););)

Reaction Score
KLS is a very sensitive topic for a lot ppl, let’s please change the subject.

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
I agree that she became better over her career, but I still don’t feel it was good enough for the W. We saw that in a lot of the big games against tougher opponents. She wasn’t assertive enough, it was easy to get her frustrated, and she could not create her own shot off the bounce, or have handles like most g/w’s in the W. Most of her offense was off the screen or from plays set up for her. At 6’3 she could’ve been a way better rebounder, defense while better, I wouldn’t say solid, and passer, there’s a lot of passers in the W. Maybe on a better team I could see it, but certainly not in Chicago.

Let me give you what you keep looking for. Your opinion is worth this award
Flying Pig.jpeg
:

Reaction Score
Let me give you what you keep looking for. Your opinion is worth this award View attachment 46241 :
I’m not looking for anything. Y’all just get deep in your feelings anytime someone’s opinion isn’t popular or different than yours especially about fan fave KLS. Save that for state of your feelings.

Last edited:

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
I’m not looking for anything. Y’all just get deep in your feelings anytime someone’s opinion isn’t popular or different than yours especially about fan fave KLS. Save that for state of your feelings.

Let's say we both made our point, y'all. Except you, and you are far from alone, truddle out the careworn and silly "can't get/make her own shot", which is used against many players as a way of saying "she's no Maya Moore" or else you and they don't understand the phrase you are using. Not athletic -she's not Stewie. Can't rebound - just plain wrong. etc etc etc It is said that he who argues with an idiot makes himself one. So look what I have gone and done to myself.

CAREER HONORS
  • Three-time WBCA Coaches’ All-American (2017, ’18, '19)
  • Two-time AP First Team All-American (2017, ’18)
  • Two-time USBWA First Team All-American (2017, ’18)
  • Two-time American Athletic Conference Player of the Year (2017, ’18)
  • Three-time American Athletic Conference First Team (2017, ’18, '19)
  • Two-time American Athletic Conference All-Tournament Team (2017, ’18)
  • 2019 AP Third Team All-American
  • 2019 USBWA Second Team All-American
  • 2019 NCAA Albany Regional All-Tournament Team
  • 2017 American Athletic Conference Tournament Most Outstanding Player
  • 2016 American Athletic Conference All-Freshman Team
  • 2016 ESPNW National Freshman of the Year
IN THE UCONN RECORD BOOKS
  • No. 5 in career points (2,342)
  • No. 6 in career scoring average (16.7)
  • No. 8 in career field goals made (808)
  • No. 2 in career three-point field goals (382)
  • No. 7 in career three-point field goal percentage (41.5)
  • No. 4 in career free throw percentage (85.1)
  • No. 5 in single-season points in 2016-17 (747)
  • No. 2 in single-season three pointers in 2016-17 (119), No. 6 in 2017-18 (96) and No. 10 in 2018-19 (89)
  • No. 3 in single-season free throw percentage in 2018-19 (87.6) and No. 8 in 2016-17 (84.0)
Going 4th in the draftNo one in the WCBB or the WNBA has your perceptive vision obviously

But rest assured you have company in your looney perspective.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
KLS’s defense has greatly improved.. Prediction: WNBA MVP in year three.

Reaction Score
Let's say we both made our point, y'all. Except you, and you are far from alone, truddle out the careworn and silly "can't get/make her own shot", which is used against many players as a way of saying "she's no Maya Moore" or else you and they don't understand the phrase you are using. Not athletic -she's not Stewie. Can't rebound - just plain wrong. etc etc etc It is said that he who argues with an idiot makes himself one. So look what I have gone and done to myself.

CAREER HONORS
  • Three-time WBCA Coaches’ All-American (2017, ’18, '19)
  • Two-time AP First Team All-American (2017, ’18)
  • Two-time USBWA First Team All-American (2017, ’18)
  • Two-time American Athletic Conference Player of the Year (2017, ’18)
  • Three-time American Athletic Conference First Team (2017, ’18, '19)
  • Two-time American Athletic Conference All-Tournament Team (2017, ’18)
  • 2019 AP Third Team All-American
  • 2019 USBWA Second Team All-American
  • 2019 NCAA Albany Regional All-Tournament Team
  • 2017 American Athletic Conference Tournament Most Outstanding Player
  • 2016 American Athletic Conference All-Freshman Team
  • 2016 ESPNW National Freshman of the Year
IN THE UCONN RECORD BOOKS
  • No. 5 in career points (2,342)
  • No. 6 in career scoring average (16.7)
  • No. 8 in career field goals made (808)
  • No. 2 in career three-point field goals (382)
  • No. 7 in career three-point field goal percentage (41.5)
  • No. 4 in career free throw percentage (85.1)
  • No. 5 in single-season points in 2016-17 (747)
  • No. 2 in single-season three pointers in 2016-17 (119), No. 6 in 2017-18 (96) and No. 10 in 2018-19 (89)
  • No. 3 in single-season free throw percentage in 2018-19 (87.6) and No. 8 in 2016-17 (84.0)
Going 4th in the draftNo one in the WCBB or the WNBA has your perceptive vision obviously

But rest assured you have company in your looney perspective.
You listed all that for what exactly? I hope you copied and pasted that because I wouldn’t waste that much time on an idiot. I’m not taking away from what she did in college? She had a great career. All I’m saying is I don’t think she can do it in the W at least not in Chicago. There are players who have had more accomplishments and still it didn’t necessarily translate to the W. She can’t get her own shot off? Is that not accurate? When UConn needed big shots in the past three years? How often did she take over a game and make them? I didn’t say she wasn’t athletic, but good point, she’s not Stewie. Rebounds? If you’re 6’3 surely you should be able to get at least 5 or more rpg per year. Right? It’s more so, the eye test for me. Do I really believe she can thrive in a WNBA system? No. Unless it’s the right system, Chicago is not it. Also, there’s a lot of players in the W who aren’t and never will be Maya Moore that can’t create their own shot.

Reaction Score
there are a few really awful defenders on the Sky, but Samuelson is not one of them.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom