KLS Broke Her Wrist Last Night | The Boneyard

KLS Broke Her Wrist Last Night

JoePgh

Cranky pants and wise acre
Reaction Score
This article says nothing about a "broken wrist". It refers only to a "hand injury". There was another article cited in another thread that said that no surgery will be needed and that she will wear a cast for a few weeks.

TheFarmFan

Stanford Fan, Huskies Admirer
Reaction Score
This article says nothing about a "broken wrist". It refers only to a "hand injury". There was another article cited in another thread that said that no surgery will be needed and that she will wear a cast for a few weeks.
This one does: Katie Lou Samuelson update: Sky’s first-round pick out three weeks with broken wrist.

Sucks, man. Hope she heals fast. So many injuries so far and it's barely two weeks into the season. It really can't help her that she'd already played nearly 40 games for UConn and then had only a few weeks off before training camp. When you think about it, even the rookies come in having played a "year round" schedule, and it seems like that's only going to increase the risk of injuries.

Reaction Score
That poor kid. She needs a break, but not like that. All that talent and she seems to hamper her progress with injury after injury. Maybe it is time to look into a different profession in the future like coaching or broadcasting. Well, one thing we know for sure: she does not hold back.

Dillon77

WBB Enthusiast; ND Alum, Fan
Reaction Score
This one does: Katie Lou Samuelson update: Sky’s first-round pick out three weeks with broken wrist.

Sucks, man. Hope she heals fast. So many injuries so far and it's barely two weeks into the season. It really can't help her that she'd already played nearly 40 games for UConn and then had only a few weeks off before training camp. When you think about it, even the rookies come in having played a "year round" schedule, and it seems like that's only going to increase the risk of injuries.

I was thinking somewhat similar thoughts following Jess Shepard's injury in Minnesota. While one can't (probably) draw a correlation between the long college season slipping right into the pro season (first WNBA, then overseas), you've got to wonder. I notice many rookies (perhaps Pheesa and Burke notwithstanding) having chutes and ladders seasons. Could be adjustment to the level of play, could be exhaustion or some kind of combination. However, it's a lot of hoops.

In any case, all my best to KLS and hope she recovers well. Ditto (again) for Jess....

Orangutan

South Bend Simian
Reaction Score
Tiniest correction - the injury happened during Sunday's game.

She played well during a stretch where Chicago's bench was dominating Seattle - she was +11 in 7:04 of playing time.

I did notice that something with her hand or wrist was bothering her. She was shaking it out during a brief stoppage and talking to Quigley about it. It didn't think too much of it because she kept playing. But that does explain why she didn't play any in the 2nd half.

It's just a shame because it looked like she might be on the path to more consistent playing time and then this happens.

Last edited:

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
I would not be surprised if the wrist injury was an aggravation of a lingering injury from UConn’s season. I seem to recall Lou shaking her hand and wrist after a collision during a game this past season. I can’t remember which game specifically. Unfortunately, Lou has always played with a reckless abandon which has resulted in far more than her fair share of injuries.

Last edited:

CL82

2023 NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions
Reaction Score
It really can't help her that she'd already played nearly 40 games for UConn and then had only a few weeks off before training camp. When you think about it, even the rookies come in having played a "year round" schedule, and it seems like that's only going to increase the risk of injuries.
Mmm, that's a fair point but not really applicable in this case. She hurt it taking taking a charge. It happens. It wasn't really an overuse type of injury.

Reaction Score
This is not good. With the small number of WNBA positions available this sort of injury can derail a career. Not unlike what happened to Moriah. Once you are unavailable for a period of time due to injury it can be a struggle to work your way back.

I hope she isn't saddled with the "injury prone" tag.

Last edited:

ochoopsfan

OC Hoops Fan
Reaction Score
The argument that the freshman play a lot of games, with a limited break, doesnt make sense. Nearly all of the remaining players play long schedules overseas. They are all over worked.

Reaction Score

When I saw photo of Lou in the cast on her right hand, it looked to me like it had to be a HAND issue, and not her wrist :eek:...the cast was just too short to immobilize the wrist for proper healing. The Sky are saying 3 weeks...makes me think non-displaced, hairline fracture of a small bone in the hand...but I am not a Dr...but I have stayed at a Holiday Inn Express (but it's been a while).... ;);). Best Wishes for speedy recovery and back to the floor Lou!!! :D

Orangutan

South Bend Simian
Reaction Score
Mmm, that's a fair point but not really applicable in this case. She hurt it taking taking a charge. It happens. It wasn't really an overuse type of injury.

I just watched it back. 7:32 of the 2nd quarter, if you have league pass. KML is driving and Lou steps up to take a charge. Contact occurs, KML goes down to the floor, ref calls travelling on KML. Lou has both hands in the air the whole time.

Lou then falls down because she trips over KML, who is on the floor behind her and Lou breaks the fall with her hands. That's seemingly where she hurts her wrist. She gets up shaking that hand and then has Quigley tug on it (hoping to pop something back in place, maybe?).

I wonder if she hadn't done something to it before, because the fall itself didn't look bad. If the injury occurred solely from the fall, it's a total freak injury.

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
I was thinking somewhat similar thoughts following Jess Shepard's injury in Minnesota. While one can't (probably) draw a correlation between the long college season slipping right into the pro season (first WNBA, then overseas), you've got to wonder. I notice many rookies (perhaps Pheesa and Burke notwithstanding) having chutes and ladders seasons. Could be adjustment to the level of play, could be exhaustion or some kind of combination. However, it's a lot of hoops.

In any case, all my best to KLS and hope she recovers well. Ditto (again) for Jess....
The argument that the freshman play a lot of games, with a limited break, doesnt make sense. Nearly all of the remaining players play long schedules overseas. They are all over worked.
I was gonna say, she might as well get used to back to back seasons, cause that's what she's gonna be doing.

Reaction Score
Through all the bad breaks and misfortune, we have all learned one thing about Katie Lou. She is one tough, tough competitor. Her determination will only become more fierce because of this setback!

Reaction Score
When a post asked who would have the better career Napheesa or Lou, I said Napheesa because of all Lou's injuries, which is why I was surprised she was drafted ahead of Napheesa.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
When a post asked who would have the better career Napheesa or Lou, I said Napheesa because of all Lou's injuries, which is why I was surprised she was drafted ahead of Napheesa.
Sadly you may be right. :(

Reaction Score
I think both will have good careers. What Lou does takes more adjustment, what Phee does can be defended. Injuries are flukes. She might just as easily never suffer another injury.

Last edited by a moderator:

Huskee11

The Sultan
Reaction Score
Lou learned to compete in the driveway as the youngest of three basketball playing sisters. I had a good angle to watch her get injured diving for the ball in the Houston Senior Day game, and I was wincing even before she hit the floor going aggressively for the ball, thinking "no, don`t". She also loves to take charges and is very good at it, but the WNBA players are bigger, faster, and stronger.

I know her competitive fire will probably keep her diving and taking charges, but I would encourage her to do less of that and try and stay vertical more.

I think she is playing without an ankle brace now, which if true is a good sign. This season she moved much better than before the operation and moved better and better as the season wore on (until the back injury). Hopefully after all she has been through with her foot and ankle, those issues are over with or at least under control.

Finally, she gets wacked in the face a lot. If she were a boxer, I would tell her to get her hands up. I don`t know what`s going on there. Poor peripheral vision? Rip Hamilton ended up wearing a mask all the time, food for thought.

In any event, she has had enough injuries to last a career. Hopefully she gets and stays healthy from this point forward. (I went through a two year stretch in high school, playing three sports, where I had injury after injury, impacting every season; after that through college and beyond, virtually injury free.)

I would note, though, that injuries, particularly knee and leg injuries, seem to be at epidemic levels in all levels of basketball. Case in point, Golden State Warriors. Very unfortunate and distressing.

Reaction Score
I think both will have good careers. What Lou dies takes more adjustment, what Phee does can be defended. Injuries are flukes. She might just as easily never suffer another injury.

Her career has been one injury after another. Lou's my favorite player, but the injuries speak for themselves.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom