KLS as a pro | The Boneyard

KLS as a pro

Reaction Score
I don't watch as much WNBA as some of you but I do look in on games with UConn alums. I've seen KLS play in 3 or 4 games recently including the entire game against Seattle last night.

She is getting a lot of minutes but seems unsure of herself, deferring to teammates like a freshman would. She gets some rebounds, but doesn't exactly crash the boards. She was never one to create her own shot but she passes up too many she should take, often passing to someone who take a a much worse shot than the one she had.

There are times when she is wide open and no one looks for her. Remember her UConn days when an announcer would say after she hit a 3, "Someone has to be guarding #33 coach!" It looks to me that WNBA teams are not guarding her, I'd guess because she is shy to shoot and doesn't often get the ball when open.

nwhoopfan

hopeless West Coast homer
Reaction Score
Some players are not as good as pros as they are in college. Clearly that is the case with one of my favorite players Plum. It might be a little too soon to say it yet, but it's certainly looking like the same with KLS. Last year everything was coach Wade's fault, this year everything is the fault of Arike shooting too much. :rolleyes:

Reaction Score
Sad to see but Lou has been a big disappointment as a pro.

HuskyFan1125

"Dont be the same, be better"
Reaction Score
Some players are not as good as pros as they are in college. Clearly that is the case with one of my favorite players Plum. It might be a little too soon to say it yet, but it's certainly looking like the same with KLS. Last year everything was coach Wade's fault, this year everything is the fault of Arike shooting too much. :rolleyes:
I thought Plum had a great season last year and likely would have this season sans the injury.

bballnut90

LV Adherent. Topic Crafter
Reaction Score
I don't watch as much WNBA as some of you but I do look in on games with UConn alums. I've seen KLS play in 3 or 4 games recently including the entire game against Seattle last night.

She is getting a lot of minutes but seems unsure of herself, deferring to teammates like a freshman would. She gets some rebounds, but doesn't exactly crash the boards. She was never one to create her own shot but she passes up too many she should take, often passing to someone who take a a much worse shot than the one she had.

There are times when she is wide open and no one looks for her. Remember her UConn days when an announcer would say after she hit a 3, "Someone has to be guarding #33 coach!" It looks to me that WNBA teams are not guarding her, I'd guess because she is shy to shoot and doesn't often get the ball when open.

She's best as a catch and shoot scorer and is a rhythm player. Ball movement isn't very good on Dallas which was a huge reason why KLS was as successful as she was as a soph and jr at UCONN, and why she wasn't as good her senior year.

Dallas's PG situation just isn't very good right now with Jefferson struggling and Harris being just a rookie. They've gone back to having Arike be the PG and much of Dallas's offense is 1 on 1 play right now, with Satou/Arike taking a high number of shots. Ball movement is bad and KLS doesn't appear to be playing confidently in the offensive system. I actually think sticking in Chicago would've been a best case situation for her if she didn't have better options in Williams/DeShields/Copper ahead of her. Playing with someone like Vandersloot would've been great for KLS.

I think there's still a place in the league for her, as she moves well off the ball and could be like a Kia Nurse type of player offensively. Just needs to play in a more passing heavy offense.

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
She's best as a catch and shoot scorer and is a rhythm player. Ball movement isn't very good on Dallas which was a huge reason why KLS was as successful as she was as a soph and jr at UCONN, and why she wasn't as good her senior year.

Dallas's PG situation just isn't very good right now with Jefferson struggling and Harris being just a rookie. They've gone back to having Arike be the PG and much of Dallas's offense is 1 on 1 play right now, with Satou/Arike taking a high number of shots. Ball movement is bad and KLS doesn't appear to be playing confidently in the offensive system. I actually think sticking in Chicago would've been a best case situation for her if she didn't have better options in Williams/DeShields/Copper ahead of her. Playing with someone like Vandersloot would've been great for KLS.

I think there's still a place in the league for her, as she moves well off the ball and could be like a Kia Nurse type of player offensively. Just needs to play in a more passing heavy offense.

If only Kia Nurse could be a Kia Nurse player. this year. Head bangHead bangHead bang

Reaction Score
There is such a huge jump between high school and college. The same holds true for the transition between college and pro. Katie Lou was a great shooter which was just what Uconn needed at the time. While she did work on other parts of her game in college I think that she will have to hone some other parts, perhaps defense, maybe passing, even moving to certain areas of the floor on offense or defense. The great thing is that she has the physical ability to sharpen those skills and I truly think that by the time she is through there will be an "All Pro" next to her name when the season is over.

nwhoopfan

hopeless West Coast homer
Reaction Score
I thought Plum had a great season last year and likely would have this season sans the injury.

She was great in the playoffs, but struggled thru much of the regular season. I was hoping for a breakout year for her, but I certainly wasn't betting on it, going into her 4th season.

Now I can only hope she recovers as well from the achilles injury as Stewie has.

donalddoowop

Who put the Bop in the Bop Shoo Bop?
Reaction Score
There is something there and with the right team or system it will come out. I saw it last night. If she gets with the right system that utilizes her passing ability and plays team ball I think she will thrive. If she could play an extended amount of time, I believe she will do well.

Reaction Score
I don’t get the criticism. Maybe watch a few more games before making an assumption. Lou was injured last year. She can do well in Dallas, especially when Arike can break down the defense. But when when Arike does that, she isn’t looking to pass. Also with Lou’s size, she’s playing the 4 and does not match up well with athletic 4-5 bigs, like the Storm, Sparks, and Aces have. She’s rebounding more, and is playing decent defense.

Blueballer

Transhumanist Consultant
Reaction Score
I don't think she is in the right situation for her skills to be used properly. Ogunbowale doesn't like passing to anyone. I've seen her ignore a wide open KLS multiple times to take circus shots. And I think because she rarely gets a chance to shoot she can't get in any rhythm and flow. That being said I never expected KLS to be a huge star in the pros anyway.

Reaction Score
The players that succeed in pro basketball (men and women) are the ones that can create their own shot. KLS can not really create her own shot in college and I'm not sure it is something that can be taught. You can either do it or you can't.

Reaction Score
The players that succeed in pro basketball (men and women) are the ones that can create their own shot. KLS can not really create her own shot in college and I'm not sure it is something that can be taught. You can either do it or you can't.

I wouldn’t actually say that the men and women who succeed are the ones who create there own shot, just look at players like jj reddick and Kyle Krover, those guys especially have made there living as basically catch and shoot players, Katie can do more, I’ve watched every Dallas game, aside from her shot not fallling the way she wants right now, she does do other things well, the ball moves More when she is in the game I’ve noticed, and like someone mentioned before she can’t really do what she does best when the teams she’s been on so far imo aren’t using her skill sets the right way, I’ve seen some Dallas fans comment on Dallas post on twitter and Instagram, that they aren’t using katie the right way. and it doesn’t help when you have guards who are mainly shoot first type of guards. I’ve actually thought the last few games she has started to look even more comfortable since she is getting more minutes, the shots will fall. I think because she works so hard on defense, it’s affecting her shot a bit on offense. That’s the other thing, watching the games I’ve noticed she’s getting better on the defensive end.

Reaction Score
aside from crystal and napheesa being in minnesota, i actually think KLS would fit in good there. they like shooters, but don't have many consistent options.
KLS hasnt been consistent thus far, but maybe the familiarity would help with that.

Reaction Score
So, Lou is 6th on the team in minutes this season, so she's getting time on the floor, even at key moments, like the end of close games. As for Arike, she's 8th on the team in three point percentage, despite taking almost twice as many as anyone else. That's not going to work. Yes, Arike will get her 20, but they'll lose and lose.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
I actually have seen much improvement in Lou’s more aggressive defense with steals, blocks, disruptions. She has never excelled at creating her own shot. Why she doesn’t spend hours working on a step back three has always escaped me. Having said that, she passes up too many only semi contested shots. Her inclination is to pass, not shoot, the exact opposite of Arike who takes very bad shots. However, the chief problem Lou faces now is that the Wings don’t pass. The offense is let Arike score and so they don’t develop team chemistry. That is the fault of the coach. Lou plays unselfish UConn ball, the rest of her team doesn’t. I see her wide open only to see foolish drives to basket from players with no court vision. Again I blame the coach. With an Anna type player on the floor, Lou would flourish.

MdStang

Greetings From Geezerville
Reaction Score
I wouldn’t actually say that the men and women who succeed are the ones who create there own shot, just look at players like jj reddick and Kyle Krover, those guys especially have made there living as basically catch and shoot players, Katie can do more, I’ve watched every Dallas game, aside from her shot not fallling the way she wants right now, she does do other things well, the ball moves More when she is in the game I’ve noticed, and like someone mentioned before she can’t really do what she does best when the teams she’s been on so far imo aren’t using her skill sets the right way, I’ve seen some Dallas fans comment on Dallas post on twitter and Instagram, that they aren’t using katie the right way. and it doesn’t help when you have guards who are mainly shoot first type of guards. I’ve actually thought the last few games she has started to look even more comfortable since she is getting more minutes, the shots will fall. I think because she works so hard on defense, it’s affecting her shot a bit on offense. That’s the other thing, watching the games I’ve noticed she’s getting better on the defensive end.
I agree with this assessment. I have seen most of the Wings games and she is doing a lot of things to help her team: setting screens, passing for assists and moving the ball. For the most part I have not seen plays run for her, screens set for her to get open shots or teammates looking for her when there are mismatches in the low post.

I guess Agler is a good coach but he doesn't seem to know how to use 2 1st team All American players - KLS and Megan Gustofsen.

Reaction Score
Dallas is last in the West at 3-7. The head coach Brian Angler is experienced and has coached two WNBA championship teams. Does he really think Arike being the end all of his offense will work? Might he not suggest to the team that looking for open shooters on the perimeter might be helpful?

So what is with the East/West divide in pro ball. With the men the West has been hugely better than the East for what seems like forever. With the women, at least for this mini-season, in the East one team is over .500 (Sky at 6-4), in the West one team is under .500 (Dallas).

donalddoowop

Reaction Score
So, Lou is 6th on the team in minutes this season, so she's getting time on the floor, even at key moments, like the end of close games. As for Arike, she's 8th on the team in three pointers attempted, despite taking almost twice as many as anyone else. That's not going to work. Yes, Arike will get her 20, but they'll lose and lose.
Something does not sound right. How can Arike be eighth in three pointers attempted while taking twice as many as anyone else? Do you mean eighth in three pointers made or am I misunderstanding?

donalddoowop

Reaction Score
What you say is true but, working hard on defense should not negatively affect a players offense. There are many players that work hard on defense and are very good offensively. A player cannot play for UConn unless she plays hard on defense. KLS worked hard on defense while at UConn or she would not have played. Now, working hard does not mean she was very good at it.;) Seriously, she did as well as some others.

Reaction Score
Something does not sound right. How can Arike be eighth in three pointers attempted while taking twice as many as anyone else? Do you mean eighth in three pointers made or am I misunderstanding?
Sorry. 8th in 3point %

Reaction Score
A catch and shoot player is very dependent on the ball dominat players they are playing with. If your primary ball handler is a player who can always create their own shot along with being a volume shooter, you are screwed. The games I watched I saw many times when she was wide open and the ball handler didn't even look her way and just took it off the dribble to create a shot for themselves. If you are a ball handler and have good catch and shoot players on your team, it is your responibility to make sure they get opportunities.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Woody69

Top Bottom