Kisunas released from LOI | Page 12 | The Boneyard

Kisunas released from LOI

Reaction Score
If we're moving on from Kisunas and Matthews to clear room for better players, then the optimism in this thread is justified. But we're going to need to actually sign those better players, be it late decommits like Harris or grad transfers. Don't tell me this is about leaving them open for 2019. Worst case scenario if you're Hurley, Ollie's guys stay and then you're essentially in the same spot a year from now except those players have to transfer. Sounds harsh but that's the business.
Word is he's aiming considerably higher for '18.

Reaction Score
Do you really want JA as the primary ball handler next season? Look at his assists or lack there of. I'd like to see him in a Ben Gordon roll: fill in at PG but play a scoring guard off the ball . He can still drive and create shots from that position without having to play close to 40 mins a game..

He was 2nd in conference assists per game this year. If Gilbert can do it great but Jalen has been playing the point for years.

American Athletic Conference - Conference-Only Statistics

Reaction Score

Like Harris high or something else we may not know about? Either way, from the sounds of it, Harris is a real player and just what we need.

Reaction Score
The Ivies don’t give money, though. So if he wants/needs money, he’s in for a surprise.

The Ivies have plenty of scholarship money for just about any student. Unless they, for some NCAA reason, can't give money to deserving, well qualified, athletes.

Reaction Score
OK, so we really think DH made a special trip to NH just to say, thanks but no thanks.

He may have done it to make sure he didn't want Kisunas, but also to maintain and further build what appears to be a good relationship UConn has with the Coach. Lots of players come out of Brewster and he can influence them if he thinks well of Hurley by virtue of how Hurley treats his players.

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score

Hope he doesn't go the Ollie route of swinging for the Diamond Stone's of the world and missing. Fortunately, this ain't DH's first rodeo and he will have a back up plan.

Reaction Score
Hope he doesn't go the Ollie route of swinging for the Diamond Stone's of the world and missing. Fortunately, this ain't DH's first rodeo and he will have a back up plan.

This is a big concern of mine. I hope DH does not believe the “UCONN on his shirt” statement he made at his presser means its going to help him to play for the big boys. And now the coaches he is recruiting against are much much better than the ones he had previously been competing with...DH just left two players on the table that would have been a few of the highest rated players he has ever had. I like the fact that he believes he can pull in bigger tallent at UCONN but those are different types of kids, with different thought processes. They want to feel the coach can get them to the NBA not just be on the hardest working, toughest playing team.. I don’t believe DH has had a player drafted in the NBA yet?

College basketball has changed alot in 10 years from when JC was recruiting players. Now instagram and Twitter clog theses kids minds.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Do you really want JA as the primary ball handler next season? Look at his assists or lack there of. I'd like to see him in a Ben Gordon roll: fill in at PG but play a scoring guard off the ball . He can still drive and create shots from that position without having to play close to 40 mins a game..

Lack of assists are also indicative of lack of system... Our offense was generally Jalen having to go one on one more often than not and then kicking out to someone else to go one-on-on. Tough to rack up assists like that.

Reaction Score
He was 2nd in conference assists per game this year. If Gilbert can do it great but Jalen has been playing the point for years.

American Athletic Conference - Conference-Only Statistics

I'm not even worried about the offense in general I'm thinking even if he has another scorer, shooter or finisher (or 2) he will lead the league in assists. I am sure Hurley has a plan to help Jalen, and AG for that matter. Need guys to make shots period and that will also help Jalen and Vital's shot selection ultimately.

ctchamps

We are UConn!! 4>1 But 5>>>>1 is even better!
Reaction Score
I'm not even worried about the offense in general I'm thinking even if he has another scorer, shooter or finisher (or 2) he will lead the league in assists. I am sure Hurley has a plan to help Jalen, and AG for that matter. Need guys to make shots period and that will also help Jalen and Vital's shot selection ultimately.
I wonder how many blown assists we’ve had over the years. How many times did a big have a decent pass and missed bunnies? Or guards getting wide open threes that were not made?

No system can fix things if players miss makeable shots. And it becomes a vicious cycle with players hesitating increasing odds defenders recover or distributors not distributing because they don’t have confidence with their team mates.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
This is a big concern of mine. I hope DH does not believe the “UCONN on his shirt” statement he made at his presser means its going to help him to play for the big boys. And now the coaches he is recruiting against are much much better than the ones he had previously been competing with...DH just left two players on the table that would have been a few of the highest rated players he has ever had. I like the fact that he believes he can pull in bigger tallent at UCONN but those are different types of kids, with different thought processes. They want to feel the coach can get them to the NBA not just be on the hardest working, toughest playing team.. I don’t believe DH has had a player drafted in the NBA yet?

College basketball has changed alot in 10 years from when JC was recruiting players. Now instagram and Twitter clog theses kids minds.

I think you are selling UConn short (as you often do). I think his comments about the brand are legit. I also think the name Hurley is a brand all its own. His dad, his brother as a player, his brother as a coach now, and him as a coach. The combination of those brands, and his ability to sell a vision of being the first class to restore glory in Storrs, probably resonates. Despite what URI fans think, top players aren't going there no matter who is the coach. UConn is different.

The truth is, Calhoun rarely went for the top 10 type guys, fighting with Duke, Kansas and Kentucky. But he scored quite well just below that, the lower 5 star and best 4 star guys. And really, if you can land those players who fit your system, that's all you'll ever need. The top ten are more likely to be one and done, and 3-4 years of the next level down is far more valuable. I think he can get his share of those guys.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom