King Rice on UConn | Page 2 | The Boneyard

King Rice on UConn

Reaction Score
Yeah ... some of these guys wrote the same damn thing regardless of the topic. Am I old to I say "broken record"?

There was a good point: the departure of the Three. Subtraction or Addition. WE do have better morale. Clearly. Kids like what's going on ... yet challenged. Talent? Not in ratings (and that's what most here want); but, you need to WANT development at UCONN. Chillious has been known to grab a few top 25. In the arc of a few years, you'll get a big answer as this is an important year.

I don't miss those 3.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
The reason this team is so bad is because three guys decided transfer.
MAL is the only one that hurt us, IMHO. I like Diarra, Carlton and Cobb.

Reaction Score

Agree but for now MAL does not hurt us.

Also agree, we need Cobb healthy he does some nice things. Now Diarra is suddenly a lot more than what he showed the first few games so we have some bulk and muscle to depend on a bit.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Agree but for now MAL does not hurt us.

Also agree, we need Cobb healthy he does some nice things. Now Diarra is suddenly a lot more than what he showed the first few games so we have some bulk and muscle to depend on a bit.
I think it does. Anderson MAL by a long shot. Anderson is a good player and I'm glad we have him but MAL would really help with those scoring droughts.

Reaction Score
Other coaches used to compliment Dom Perno's coaching all the time. Calhoun's, not so much.
That’s true but misleading the Perno compliments came after we lost a winnable game
not won a losable one.

Reaction Score
MAL hurts yes but I like Akinjo better next season. MAL wouldn't have seen the court this season ahead of Adams, Vital, Anderson or Gilbert.

Reaction Score
The real sleeper this season could have been Durham. I believe if he was healthy and put the time in the weight room and gym he could be special. His best basketball is ahead of him.

UConn_Top_Dog

"Your school wins games... WE WIN CHAMPIONSHIPS!"
Reaction Score
So running an a clear out for Jalen off a pick a the foul line is great coaching? LOL! We are just lucky that we have Jalen and the other team doesn't or we would have lost these last two games.

And we had Kemba in 2011 and no one else did when Calhoun was coaching. And they ran the same plays for him. What's your point?

pj

Reaction Score

Agreed - Whaley and Polley have potential too. I'm not disappointed in the recruiting since MAL flipped, but keeping MAL would have been a huge pickup for this team. I'm glad we switched Chill for Miller, maybe losing MAL was the cost of that change.

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score
Agreed - Whaley and Polley have potential too. I'm not disappointed in the recruiting since MAL flipped, but keeping MAL would have been a huge pickup for this team. I'm glad we switched Chill for Miller, maybe losing MAL was the cost of that change.

It was the cost, most definitely. Chill is going to have to hit some quick long balls to make up for it. Might have been a little to late thing in the end. Who knows?

Reactions: pj

pj

Reaction Score
It was the cost, most definitely. Chill is going to have to hit some quick long balls to make up for it. Might have been a little to late thing in the end. Who knows?

If KO is going to succeed or fail as a head coach, he should do it on his terms. I'm glad he has his guys now.

pj

Reaction Score
Only because Gilbert is out

Yes, but he's the third guard for Providence and would have been 3rd guard here, or 4th in a 3 guard lineup, so similar minutes (maybe 20 mpg) both places. So it's embarrassing to have lost him.

Reaction Score
Sometimes I think 90% of the people who post here have never seen a basketball game outside of UConn.

And you and JMick are 2 of them then. Watch the game and don’t look at your personal vendetta’s against Ollie. Kid plays decent defense kind of like Jalen and can’t shoot a lick. He’s getting 7 a game and right now isn’t as good as Anderson. Please you guys look ridiculous.

Reaction Score
Yup. Sounded like a guy who could coach UConn... Now let's hope JC ponies up some cash for the Ollie buyout
Surprised you’d want someone who can’t even beat UConn (eye roll)

Reaction Score
No he wouldn’t.

Are you sure he's averaging 7, 2 and 2 for the powerhouse known as the 6-2 Providence Friars. I mean they did beat us in an absolutely meaningless exhibition game so that must mean that Cooley's a better coach than Ollie and Providence is a better team/program. Also, you have to give a lot of respect to all their National Championships.

:rolleyes:

Reaction Score
Truth is, it doesn't matter what King Rice thinks. It matters less what we think. Its easy to be blinded by results. Especially blow out losses or consecutive overtime wins vs low mid majors. So I am going to stop doing that. The reason this team is so bad is because three guys decided transfer. The staff responded as best they could with what was available but the depletion and weakness of this roster has been exposed. Sure, a better X and Os coach might beat Monmouth by 11 instead of 3, but in the end, there is little coaching can do with this team. This roster is simply not built to compete at a high level. Right or wrong, my guess is with his recruiting class coming in, his buyout number, and what is realistically available, KO will be afforded the opportunity to see this through. King Rice was atleast right about one thing. These kids play hard all the way through. To me, that suggests they haven't given up on their coach.

This is a reasonable-sounding take, but conveniently overlooks the fact that 3 guys transferred and we had to bring in late options that nobody else wanted because of KO's mismanagement of the program.

It's not like 2012-13 where a depleted roster was forced upon KO. He created this mess entirely of his own volition.

gtcam

Diehard since '65
Reaction Score
3 guys transferred and we had to bring in late options that nobody else wanted because of KO's mismanagement of the program.

Yeah that's it - mismanagement
One kid got more burn than he would have ever dreamed of and then he and his father thought they were better than that and wanted to go back west
Enoch was a complete joke on defense, always screwing around on the bench and another whose father thinks he is better than he proved to be
The last kid was damaged goods in HS, KO took a chance, became more damaged and only KO stuck by him with a scholarship - how does KO get repaid? The kid starts being a screwball on the bench and takes off
Yeah it's total mismanagement

Reaction Score
Are you sure he's averaging 7, 2 and 2 for the powerhouse known as the 6-2 Providence Friars. I mean they did beat us in an absolutely meaningless exhibition game so that must mean that Cooley's a better coach than Ollie and Providence is a better team/program. Also, you have to give a lot of respect to all their National Championships.

:rolleyes:

If he threw the 3 bricks at the FT line he laid vs URI yesterday for UConn they'd be pushing him out the door with KO. I mean he will never be Jalen and if healthy, wish was expected when he backed out, he couldn't hold Alteriques jock. They're hatred for KO is blinding them it's laughable at this point.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coolbeans44

Top Bottom