King Rice on UConn | The Boneyard

King Rice on UConn

Reaction Score
“I read a lot of stuff [about UConn],” Monmouth coach King Rice said, “but that’s two overtime wins — that means their kids are well-coached, that means their kids are listening to their coach and they continue to fight. Those kids kept making the right plays. One team tried to be heroes, that’s the team that I coach, and we lost. One team tried to do what their coach told them to do, and just kept running the same play that we couldn’t guard.”

UConn Manages To Hold Off Monmouth In OT, 84-81

"Well-coached" is not something you read on the Boneyard a lot these days. Figured I'd share.

Reaction Score
“I read a lot of stuff [about UConn],” Monmouth coach King Rice said, “but that’s two overtime wins — that means their kids are well-coached, that means their kids are listening to their coach and they continue to fight. Those kids kept making the right plays. One team tried to be heroes, that’s the team that I coach, and we lost. One team tried to do what their coach told them to do, and just kept running the same play that we couldn’t guard.”

UConn Manages To Hold Off Monmouth In OT, 84-81

"Well-coached" is not something you read on the Boneyard a lot these days. Figured I'd share.
So running an a clear out for Jalen off a pick a the foul line is great coaching? LOL! We are just lucky that we have Jalen and the other team doesn't or we would have lost these last two games.

Reaction Score
So running an a clear out for Jalen off a pick a the foul line is great coaching? LOL! We are just lucky that we have Jalen and the other team doesn't or we would have lost these last two games.
Kemba and Bazz used to it for us same way, except Jalen is carrying a heavier load.

Reaction Score
Kemba and Bazz used to it for us same way, except Jalen is carrying a heavier load.
Either way that doesn't make for great coaching. It just makes for Dynamic offensive players which all teams need. Unfortunately UCONN only has one right now.

Reaction Score
C8AA68DC-BB91-48F9-82D0-6AEE1AABFAE4.gif

BaZZnBOAT

ONIONS!
Reaction Score
Yup. Sounded like a guy who could coach UConn... Now let's hope JC ponies up some cash for the Ollie buyout
Why in the world would he do that when he's not even going to be involved in the program by this time next year?

BUConn10

Artist formerly known as BUHusky10
Reaction Score
As compared to all the times the opposing coach trashes the opponents and their coaching quality during the post-game interview, ON THE ROAD.

Reaction Score

We were lucky to have Kemba too!

Reaction Score
Well then, when they jack up 3s, it is against Ollies wishes? So why not yank a player when he does that. Ollie is improving, but I want to see the quick pull more often...unless he authorizes those shots and thus, no yank....then....

BaZZnBOAT

ONIONS!
Reaction Score
Well then, when they jack up 3s, it is against Ollies wishes? So why not yank a player when he does that. Ollie is improving, but I want to see the quick pull more often...unless he authorizes those shots and thus, no yank....then....

He did that today with Polley.

Reaction Score
Either way that doesn't make for great coaching. It just makes for Dynamic offensive players which all teams need. Unfortunately UCONN only has one right now.
Agree it’s time for “this is my last year” Larrier to take his cue. Even more so. Don’t miss bunnies and you’ll be fine. NBA don’t draft bunny missers fwiw

Reaction Score
Isn't this what every play in the NBA is? High pick, take what the defense gives you, create mismatches... matter fact Kemba's play against Pitt was a high pick, McGhee switched on the pick, Kemba had the mismatch and went to work. High pick and read what the defense gives you is what the NBA is. At UCONN it's called terrible offensive sets. At present we don't have the personnel to run Pro sets.

Reaction Score
Truth is, it doesn't matter what King Rice thinks. It matters less what we think. Its easy to be blinded by results. Especially blow out losses or consecutive overtime wins vs low mid majors. So I am going to stop doing that. The reason this team is so bad is because three guys decided transfer. The staff responded as best they could with what was available but the depletion and weakness of this roster has been exposed. Sure, a better X and Os coach might beat Monmouth by 11 instead of 3, but in the end, there is little coaching can do with this team. This roster is simply not built to compete at a high level. Right or wrong, my guess is with his recruiting class coming in, his buyout number, and what is realistically available, KO will be afforded the opportunity to see this through. King Rice was atleast right about one thing. These kids play hard all the way through. To me, that suggests they haven't given up on their coach.

Reaction Score

Does he do standup at some comedy club too ??

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coolbeans44

Top Bottom