Kind of new Josh Perkins info | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Kind of new Josh Perkins info

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Why is Hooper Scooper screwing things up on this board with facts? Where's "truthiness" when you need it? :rolleyes:

Reaction Score
If anybody wanted written confirmation, here it is:

AdamZagoria
Josh Perkins will not visit UConn, his father tells @SNYtv. They are still in the mix but he will announce Aug.24.
8/14/13 6:12 PM
AdamZagoria
Sounds like Gonzaga, UCLA or Minny for Perkins although UConn and UK still on list. No UK offer though.
8/14/13 6:13 PM

Reaction Score

AdamZagoria
Josh Perkins will not visit UConn, his father tells @SNYtv. They are still in the mix but he will announce Aug.24.
AdamZagoria
Sounds like Gonzaga, UCLA or Minny for Perkins although UConn and UK still on list. No UK offer though.

Doesn't look like Uconn is in the cards, but I wish him the best. Hopefully no one trashes an 18 year old that is going to make a seemingly bad decision.

Reaction Score
Doesn't look like Uconn is in the cards, but I wish him the best. Hopefully no one trashes an 18 year old that is going to make a seemingly bad decision.
Would never trash an 18 year old kid but I will say with his list of schools UConn should've been the pick and it really shouldn't be close. Learning under Ollie would certainly make him a better basketball player than what the others have to offer.

Reaction Score

AdamZagoria
AdamZagoria

Hum...no visit. UK, dream school for Perkins?...or am I getting him confused with another recruit who was waiting by the Squid Phone? UCLA in his backyard. Granted, as someone already pointed out, DD committed w/out ever visiting, but if Ollie and UConn were atop his list, I'm sure he would have made it out here. I'd be shocked if he ends up here.

I know there's a lot of hope that we'll land 2 or more blue chip recruits, but I would not be shocked if we end up an also-ran with just about all of them. I hope I'm wrong. UConn is still a strong brand, but is weakened by not having Big East along with it. KO is aiming very high. I hope we land at least one since I don't see many recruits in the higher or other side of the top 100 as plan-B options.

Reaction Score
Disappointing - this kid was my top pick of all the recruits we're still currently involved with. He would have been a stud here. I would be wary of putting my faith in the hands of guys like Mark Few and Richard Pitino if I want to get to te next level, but I wish him luck.

Reaction Score
Would love to know why the visit isn't happening. Either Perkins was never really that interested in UConn or UConn cooled on him for some reason. There has to be a good explanation.

Reaction Score
I don't follow this stuff closely anymore, what's the story with the kid McLaughlin from Etiwanda? Not in play anymore?

Reaction Score
Was the upcoming Snyder visit a factor in Perkins losing interest in Uconn?
Yes. I believe the staff cooled on Perkins realizing it was goings to take a lot to get him to come east.

Reaction Score
I don't follow this stuff closely anymore, what's the story with the kid McLaughlin from Etiwanda? Not in play anymore?

There was a Rivals article from a few weeks ago that said he would more than likely visit but we heard the same stuff from the Perkins camp so who knows. He was already going to be hard to get from the West and now Kansas appears to be all over him now as well.

Reaction Score
He's still beig recruited just not the top PG yet. It looks like the top PG target is Quentin Snider the recent Louisville de-committ. He is visiting September 20th-22nd. McLaughlin could become a bigger target but it looks unlikely that he will come east.

C

Chief00

Recruiting is fluid by nature. We will lose most battles in even our best recruiting years. What's great about basketball one or two players can make a big difference. Who better to learn the point guard position from than KO?

Reaction Score
watson ranked 146...pass
"I don't really get caught up in the name and the ranking," Ollie said. "If the kid doesn't fit my eye and have the right attitude, I'm not going to take him. Of course, you look at rankings and see who is there, but once I put my eyes on him, you formulate your own rankings. I can get a top 10 guy, but if he doesn't have the right attitude, it's all for naught."
http://articles.courant.com/2013-08...0130812_1_kevin-ollie-head-coach-roy-williams

Reaction Score
watson ranked 146...pass

just going by ranking is a pretty poor way of looking at recruits, the staff watched him alot during the summer and from the reports by the SoCal recruiting guys he pretty much played McLaughlin to a standstill in their game during an AAU final. Not saying he's as good as him based off of one game, but I trust the the staff's eyes since they're actually watching these guys. PomonaHusky had a pretty good post about him, actually ranking him ahead of some players who who are ranked ahead of him by the national guys:
http://the-boneyard.com/threads/new-offer-out-for-2014-pg-devin-watson.41828/#post-651688

He's also from a good AAU program, wouldn't hurt to make inroads there since KO is trying to build up his SoCal ties going forward. I would still rather have Snider, but he doesn't appear to be a bad fallback option.

caw

Reaction Score
watson ranked 146...pass

I know nothing about Watson, but rankings a) aren't the end all be all and b) need lower ranked kids also (if you think they can develop). With potentially 5-7 new players and 13 scholarships in 2014-2015 one or two can go to lower ranked players who will stay 4 years and develop. I do agree I would prefer to sign lower rated players after stars, but sometimes things don't work that way.

Edit: Didnt mean to pile on.

The main concerns I have after watching some highlights are that he doesn't seem very big and doesn't seem like a big leaper. He does seem to have a decent shot and handle though and fairly quick.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NYCVET

Top Bottom