Kind of, but really not OT: Bob Diaco | Page 3 | The Boneyard

Kind of, but really not OT: Bob Diaco

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
You found the following statement by Diaco "out of touch":

the declaration that UConn will win every game this year including winning the national championship.

According to the Hartford Courant the actual statement (in context) was:

Expectations for the 2015 season: "We're going to focus on today and the work that needs to get done, but our expectations are that we're going to win the football games," Diaco said. "That the score at the end of the games, we're going to have at least one more point than the opponent."

Seems like a rather normal attempt at stating in it to win it for each game and "focus on today and the work that needs to get done". You are making up an issue here.

Stainmaster

Occasionally Constructive
Reaction Score
No disrespect to the OP, but I don't see any constructive point to this thread. There are posted on the BB board who a) frequent the FB board as well, b) watch every game (with a good deal in person) and c) have supported the FB program financially for a number of years. When those guys take issue with something that's done by Diaco/the team/the program/the A.D. in general as it pertains to football, then I am inclined to listen to them. They know UConn football inside and out, and if something smells funky according to them, I am more likely to trust them. This isn't to say that OP isn't a knowledgeable fan of our football team or that the FB regulars who complain about Diaco are all-knowing. But these types of posts typically don't have the best intentions/background behind them.

Reaction Score
either Diaco is a genius or he's a lunatic. I don't think we know which it is yet.
Since when have the 2 characteristics become absolutely, mutually exclusive? Win 4, or even 5, games this season, and most UCONN students, alumni, and other fans will happily accept a lunatic genius! Of course, there's always the negative nannies ...

Reaction Score
Just my opinion, but anyone who thinks UConn football will ever be any good under Bob Diaco is setting themselves up for disappointment.

sdhusky

1972,73 & 98 Boneyard Poster of the Year
Reaction Score
Just my opinion, but anyone who thinks UConn football will ever be any good under Bob Diaco is setting themselves up for disappointment.

When Miami had a team as young as last year, they were under .500 - 3 years later, the won a NC and put more players into the NFL than any other Miami team. If that talent couldn't win young, I'm not surprised this team didn't.

Next year, I expect to compete for the conference championship.

Reaction Score
In my opinion, it is still much too early for anyone to make a definitive statement like that.

Reaction Score
No matter what, Bob's team has to beat Villanova & Army. If not, the season gets very ugly. No way does this team beat MO, or at BYU.
An 0-4 start probably leads to an 0-12 season.
Two quick wins can lead to 2-4 more wins this season. Six total gives us bowl consideration. (probably consideration, like Temple last year, only)

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
Well, I thought I did an accurate job with the title. So if it's annoying you, don't click on it. Because some of us (during the doldrums of the basketball offseason) find that this is relevant to UConn basketball.

I'm not hating on Diaco, I'm just pointing out concerns.

It's a UConn board, with subforums. Almost everybody on any subforum will cheer for UConn in every sport. Some put men's hoops first, some football, some women's hoops and hell, some perhaps hockey or soccer. But for the most part everybody who frequents the football subforum is a UConn basketball fan. So the only reason to post a thread that that is 99% the same as existing threads in the Football subforum, which are already seen by most of the people who read the basketball subforum is to be an irritant. To get a rise out of people. Just my take.

polycom

I heard a beep, who just joined?
Reaction Score
Ugh. This is often repeated, never accurate. Look at the HS rankings of the players on the elite teams. Diaco is doing what he has to do but I hate seeing the statement that rankings are meaningless.

You make the same argument in the other direction and I could give you a list of 4* & 5* guys who ended up doing nothing.

Reaction Score
e84039abf42b35110d1c652d38e9f9b0.500x462x1.jpg

Reaction Score
Especially considering Diaco inherited PPGL's cluster-farce, and has only had 1 full-year to recruit his own recruits.

nailed it. This year is the trending year - we can start to get a much better picture of where things are going. Trigger time (assuming things are still looking bad) cannot come until the end of the 2017 season at the earliest....probably should be end of 2018 season to give him a fair amount of time.

sdhusky

1972,73 & 98 Boneyard Poster of the Year
Reaction Score
No matter what, Bob's team has to beat Villanova & Army. If not, the season gets very ugly. No way does this team beat MO, or at BYU.
An 0-4 start probably leads to an 0-12 season.
Two quick wins can lead to 2-4 more wins this season. Six total gives us bowl consideration. (probably consideration, like Temple last year, only)

No way last year's team beats UCF. But they did. And now they own the Civil ConFLiCT Cup!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coolbeans44

Top Bottom