Kimani Young named Associate Head Coach | The Boneyard

Kimani Young named Associate Head Coach

CL82

2023 NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions
Reaction Score
This is a huge plus of signing Freeman.
I always was a little concerned about the Hunter pay differential and the message it would convey if the new hire stepped into the same salary. The more you think out the programs existing strengths and needs, the easier it is realize why Kevin Freeman was the best fit.

Wordbomar

"Walker on McGee with four.."
Reaction Score
Not sure why a no brainer. Was Tom thought of as the third assistant prior to Kenya leaving?

Getting KFree allowed Hurley to promote and pay raise to Kimani. This would essentially lock him up unless he got a power conference job in my opinion. Nobody was concerned about Tom Moore leaving.

Psolo12

Future Doctor of Law
Reaction Score
Great move. Kimani’s value on the coaching staff can’t be talked about enough.

Reaction Score
Not sure why a no brainer. Was Tom thought of as the third assistant prior to Kenya leaving?

Tom is in the twilight of his career. He's 55 years old and had his shot at a head coaching gig. He's lived in Tolland for something like 20 years. His role is to mentor young coaches, fill all the gaps coaching-wise, and recruiting at a high level like we know he can. And I know he really embraces that. I can't say it with 100% certainty, but I've really gotten the feeling he intends to retire here.

Reaction Score
Tom is in the twilight of his career. He's 55 years old and had his shot at a head coaching gig. He's lived in Tolland for something like 20 years. His role is to mentor young coaches, fill all the gaps coaching-wise, and recruiting at a high level like we know he can. And I know he really embraces that. I can't say it with 100% certainty, but I've really gotten the feeling he intends to retire here.

I'm not sure why that would preclude him from being the associate, but this is ultimately the right move if it keeps Kimani on staff longer. He's been too good and I don't want someone else offering him a promotion first.

Reaction Score
I'm not sure why that would preclude him from being the associate, but this is ultimately the right move if it keeps Kimani on staff longer. He's been too good and I don't want someone else offering him a promotion first.
I think you nailed why. This is about not only keeping Kimani around but making an assistant coaching position at UConn desirable in the future because Hurley will do right by this staff and put them in places to advance their careers.

Reaction Score
Agree on good staffs and with good people titles and credit From the outside aren’t what is valued. I’m sure Tom knows how important he is to Danny and the rest of the staff

Reaction Score
And Tom doesn't have an ego. Many coaches would be unhappy that another assistant on the staff was making more than he was when he was already a head coach of a D1 program for many years. I think you're right that he's comfortable where he is and not jealous of Kenya making more money or Kimani getting a new higher title.

UconnU

Demolish the XL center.
Reaction Score
Great move. Kimani’s value on the coaching staff can’t be talked about enough.
I agree. I just wish greater NYC had more talent right now, or at least deeper talent. There seems to be a shift in talent away from the northeast towards the mid-Atlantic/south taking place. We need to recruit nationally sooner than later.

Reaction Score
I agree. I just wish greater NYC had more talent right now, or at least deeper talent. There seems to be a shift in talent away from the northeast towards the mid-Atlantic/south taking place. We need to recruit nationally sooner than later.
It's all cyclical. NYC will come back around. Can't get enough of those NJ guards either.....

Reaction Score
There seems to be a shift in talent away from the northeast towards the mid-Atlantic/south taking place. We need to recruit nationally sooner than later.
It's all those UWS folks leaving Manhattan for Carolina and Florida

C

Chief00

His wife made them live in Tolland when he had the Q and URI jobs. Also, you can get salary bumps without tithe bumps.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leepaul

Top Bottom