Kimani Young named Associate Head Coach | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Kimani Young named Associate Head Coach

Reaction Score
I think you nailed why. This is about not only keeping Kimani around but making an assistant coaching position at UConn desirable in the future because Hurley will do right by this staff and put them in places to advance their careers.
Exactly. Guys want to work for a boss who helps them advance. His coach at URI became HC when he left. If Kimani gets a good HC spot in 2-3 years it reflects positively on DH and makes it easier to get coaches to come here

mrl2016

better late than never
Reaction Score
Anything there or all jokes in regards to the tweet exchange between Bouknight and Hurley?
C190859A-5D86-4E60-A536-46403DBF09CE.png

mrl2016

better late than never
Reaction Score
Seems like a joke to me and Hurley is just saying the plan has always been to get Kimani a head coaching job

not sure how something that obvious went that far over my head

Reaction Score
Tom is in the twilight of his career. He's 55 years old and had his shot at a head coaching gig. He's lived in Tolland for something like 20 years. His role is to mentor young coaches, fill all the gaps coaching-wise, and recruiting at a high level like we know he can. And I know he really embraces that. I can't say it with 100% certainty, but I've really gotten the feeling he intends to retire here.

Tom is Hurley‘s Blaney.

Reaction Score

Epitome of a healthy family! Tom is UConn first, always. More importantly he is proven, secure and has no ego. I would hope when he leaves his coaching accomplishments (and service) are in some way memorialized. He was integral in our successes and of course our history. I know this is about Kimani but having Tom buy in is critical, and so good to see.

Tom Moore (UconnHuskies.com)

'Moore was an integral part of the most successful span in UConn basketball history, which included the Huskies’ first two NCAA National Championships in 1999 and 2004. During his 13 seasons in Storrs, Moore helped build the Huskies into a national power. Moore helped lead UConn to a 340-99 overall record in the 13 seasons, along with eight Big East regular-season titles, five Big East tournament crowns, and 12 consecutive national postseason tournament bids (1995-2006).

While at UConn, Moore recruited and/or coached 19 players who went on to play in the NBA, including NBA All-Stars Ray Allen, Richard Hamilton and Caron Butler, 12 first-round draft choices, and five college All-Americans.'

Reaction Score
Blaney is from Jersey City, same with the Hurley's.
My bad..I know he spent a lot of time in Worcester so I figured he might have picked it up there.. Always thought JC preferred the twang to remind him of Boston..

Reaction Score
Curious if our insiders are aware. Kimani has been killing it, was this in the works pre-Kenya leaving or happened once he left?

Just curious if the imminent bump (if already planned) to Kimani was also a contributing factor to Kenya leaving.

Reaction Score
Curious if our insiders are aware. Kimani has been killing it, was this in the works pre-Kenya leaving or happened once he left?

Just curious if the imminent bump (if already planned) to Kimani was also a contributing factor to Kenya leaving.
I don’t believe so. I think it’s really strange how none of the current UConn coaches thanked Kenya publicly on twitter. Not even in the press release. Seems strange.

UconnU

Demolish the XL center.
Reaction Score
Did we ever find out what Kenya’s mysterious illness was? Remember he missed a lot of time last year.

Reaction Score
I don’t believe so. I think it’s really strange how none of the current UConn coaches thanked Kenya publicly on twitter. Not even in the press release. Seems strange.

Yes I agree. Also no articles on Kenya talking to any of the writers talking about how much he loved his time here and will miss the team, staff. Maybe coming and I'm impatient but kind of strange no doubt.

Reaction Score
Yes I agree. Also no articles on Kenya talking to any of the writers talking about how much he loved his time here and will miss the team, staff. Maybe coming and I'm impatient but kind of strange no doubt.
Right? No mention of it in the Indiana presser either. I’m wondering if there’s something strange that happened. Hurley gave Freeman a raving goodbye and he was only with him for 2 months.

Reaction Score
Maybe Kimani can introduce Danny to his tailor.. Looking like a hipper/cooler version of the Jay Wright fashion vibe.. Congrats to DH on doing the right thing for Kimani and recognizing his value to the Program..

Last edited:
C

Chief00

Reading the tea leaves. As I said, Danny likes to have his coaching staff locked down going into the summer. While the season will likely be delayed, this isn’t in Danny’s comfort zone.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Woody69

Top Bottom