Kimani at the game for Abdou Toure | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Kimani at the game for Abdou Toure

Reaction Score
Tremont Waters played 3/4 years at South Kent. Came back to New Haven because he had already committed and wanted to show out for the hometown school. Almost positive that's how it went down
It is. Even though Notre Dame is not New Haven

Reaction Score
Tremont Waters played 3/4 years at South Kent. Came back to New Haven because he had already committed and wanted to show out for the hometown school. Almost positive that's how it went down
Yeah, I forgot he came back, but I definitely know he had not yet committed. I know someone in athletics at ND who always posted about his college recruitment.

EDIT: I just checked, indeed he had not committed until after the moved to Notre Dame. He committed to Georgetown in the late Fall, and then decommitted in the spring when Thompson was fired. He committed to LSU in the summer (June).

Reaction Score
I grew up with Jay Shea (NDWH coach) and the dude is a basketball and sports savant. Has been since we were 6 and my dad started coaching us.

Have only seen him coach twice, but many of my basketball friends in CT speak very very highly of him so can’t comment too much- The only thing I will say for his coaching is that ND was way way down the last few years before he took over and now we’re (ya I said we:) are elite. Same goes for most sports since JS took over as AD.

Reaction Score
What would remotely make you think that he’s playing for a bad coach?
In fact, the coach of Notre Dame has been quite successful, and would generally be viewed as a very good coach by those who know Connecticut high school basketball
It’s baffling to me that you would post something like this
Someone else said he was a bad coach, and I am just asking if that is a valid concern. It sounds like that one post was an outlier and everyone else likes this guy, so happy that he is in a good spot

Reaction Score
Yeah, I forgot he came back, but I definitely know he had not yet committed. I know someone in athletics at ND who always posted about his college recruitment.

EDIT: I just checked, indeed he had not committed until after the moved to Notre Dame. He committed to Georgetown in the late Fall, and then decommitted in the spring when Thompson was fired. He committed to LSU in the summer (June).

I'm a firm believer that you can't judge any coach based on game day. Let me watch a practice. Some of the best coaches in the state are coaching in small towns with minimal game-day success because of factors out of the coaches control.

Reaction Score
Bob Hurley Sr had limited resources his entire career and made major impacts on his players for college and beyond. HS coaches frequently have a major influence on their kids . They do it out of love for the game and passion for their players and their families.

If you were given the opportunity to have played for one of those special coaches-- You're a lucky dude.

Reaction Score
429: ok i am old. Can you message me?

I can't start DM's. I must be on the mod bad boy list. If you click on my name there should be a "start new conversation" button.

Reaction Score
Don't let talent discrepancy confuse you. Hand coach is just a much better coach. Not even close.
That's a BS take. I am an alum of NDWH and can tell you Jason Shea is a much better Coach than Gary Palladino ever was. Just look at how the program has turned into one of the top programs in the state after Pal retired.

On top of that, Jason played for Glenn Miller at Connecticut College. Jason knows what he's doing. He's very smart. He left a career in finance to go teach at NDWH.

If there is one thing Jason knows how to do well its coach. And Jason's lead assistant, Jason Kirck, left to take over Sacred Heart Academy and that program has turned into one of the top WBB programs in the state.

I'm sure the Hand coach is great himself. And we need more great coaches in the state.

And a personal relationship with Jason has nothing to do with my opinion of him. I'm not friendly with Jason. I know him in passing, but if he saw me in the grocery store or something, he probably wouldn't recognize me, or if he did, it would take a second to come to him.

Last edited:
Reaction Score

Stay close to home?

If I had a son, high level MBB player, really tough advice to give about choosing between Yale and UConn.

If he was a lock to be a first-round NBA pick I'd probably try to encourage him to pick UConn as he should enter the draft as soon as he can (age and ready wise), will receive better coaching and MBB experience in Storrs.

If he was border-line NBA material it's hard to turn away from the usual long-term advantages of a Yale degree. Get the sheepskin, try out for the NBA, maybe earn quick $$ overseas, come back and take advantages of Ivy-business world connections they are real and potentially valuable.

First World choices.

Reaction Score
Stay close to home?

If I had a son, high level MBB player, really tough advice to give about choosing between Yale and UConn.

If he was a lock to be a first-round NBA pick I'd probably try to encourage him to pick UConn as he should enter the draft as soon as he can (age and ready wise), will receive better coaching and MBB experience in Storrs.

If he was border-line NBA material it's hard to turn away from the usual long-term advantages of a Yale degree. Get the sheepskin, try out for the NBA, maybe earn quick $$ overseas, come back and take advantages of Ivy-business world connections they are real and potentially valuable.

First World choices.

I think if you're good enough to play for a Top-10 team like UConn, you should probably play for a top-10 team like UConn and maximize professional earning potential. If you play a couple years and don't live up to 4*/5* potential, you can always transfer down to an Ivy or other elite academic school.

Huskyforlife

Akokbouk
Reaction Score
Have him talk to Alex about our academics.

I’m sure the decision for a smart kid who cares deeply about academics makes this more difficult on a personal level than it seems from an outsiders perspective. James Jones is also a very respected coach who could probably help him make the league.

But a kid that smart knows his earning potential in basketball has a ceiling, and you have to make decisions to maximize that potential. I’d imagine that’s why he’ll end up here, or somewhere like Duke, by the end of his recruitment.

Reaction Score
Stay close to home?

First World choices.
It's just the start of his recruitment but I think it's pretty clear already he wants UConn and UConn wants him.

Reaction Score
That's a BS take. I am an alum of NDWH and can tell you Jason Shea is a much better Coach than Gary Palladino ever was. Just look at how the program has turned into one of the top programs in the state after Pal retired.

On top of that, Jason played for Glenn Miller at Connecticut College. Jason knows what he's doing. He's very smart. He left a career in finance to go teach at NDWH.

If there is one thing Jason knows how to do well its coach. And Jason's lead assistant, Jason Kirck, left to take over Sacred Heart Academy and that program has turned into one of the top WBB programs in the state.

I'm sure the Hand coach is great himself. And we need more great coaches in the state.

And a personal relationship with Jason has nothing to do with my opinion of him. I'm not friendly with Jason. I know him in passing, but if he saw me in the grocery store or something, he probably wouldn't recognize me, or if he did, it would take a second to come to him.
Im NDWH class of 97, what year are you?

Reaction Score
Jason Shea is a much better Coach than Gary Palladino ever was. Just look at how the program has turned into one of the top programs in the state after Pal retired
I mean you don't need to be a great coach to do what Shea has done at ND. To be clear I don't think he's a bad dude and actually know some guys that played with him at Conn College who speak well of him.

I do know that they're basically the new Sacred Heart (of Waterbury). They recruit anyone and everyone from all over and then go beat up on mostly public schools (blame the CIAC for allowing that). Shea is widely unpopular inside most of the ciac basketball committees and among rival coaches. The prep school they basically founded out of thin air to bolster his program was a travesty. And then they left dozens of kids in a lurch when the program folded because everyone knew it was a sham. Just a bad look all around.

NDs recent success isn't apple apples with what Coach Palladino did or really most ciac coaches. Shea is playing a completely different game.

Reaction Score
I mean you don't need to be a great coach to do what Shea has done at ND. To be clear I don't think he's a bad dude and actually know some guys that played with him at Conn College who speak well of him.

I do know that they're basically the new Sacred Heart (of Waterbury). They recruit anyone and everyone from all over and then go beat up on mostly public schools (blame the CIAC for allowing that). Shea is widely unpopular inside most of the ciac basketball committees and among rival coaches. The prep school they basically founded out of thin air to bolster his program was a travesty. And then they left dozens of kids in a lurch when the program folded because everyone knew it was a sham. Just a bad look all around.

NDs recent success isn't apple apples with what Coach Palladino did or really most ciac coaches. Shea is playing a completely different game.
Wish there were more high school coaches and schools like that in CT, you would have much better basketball and kids would stay home instead of leaving. This is how it's done in basketball states like Illinois and New Jersey.

Reaction Score
Wish there were more high school coaches and schools like that in CT, you would have much better basketball and kids would stay home instead of leaving. This is how it's done in basketball states like Illinois and New Jersey.
exactly

Reaction Score

You aren’t wrong.

Reaction Score

What are you talking about? New England has more good to great prep schools than any other area in the country. We may not have the elite Montverde/Sierra Canyons/etc but we stand up pound for pound. You can see multiple great prep basketball games within a 2 hour drive of your house here which is 100x easier than most other areas in the country.

But that's entirely my point. Go play prep basketball. Don't pound your chest in a public school league when you're not a public school.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WillngtnOak

Top Bottom