Kimani: “When it’s all said and done, [Hawkins is] going to be one of best wing players that has ever played,” | The Boneyard

Kimani: “When it’s all said and done, [Hawkins is] going to be one of best wing players that has ever played,”

UconnU

If he blocks 100, he blocks 100
Reaction Score
We know he can shoot it but I loved the 2 drives stop and drop offs to the low block guys, excellent stuff. Open court, fast pace better for him now unlike half court sets. Takes time, he’ll get there.
Not only does his style suit a faster pace well it also doesn’t give him as much time to think. I’d love to see him get the ball in transition more.

Reaction Score
We know he can shoot it but I loved the 2 drives stop and drop offs to the low block guys, excellent stuff. Open court, fast pace better for him now unlike half court sets. Takes time, he’ll get there.
This is the perfect call out - teams have figured out if the game is a grinder they can basically muscle him and it throws his rhythm off and he is soft with the ball. Cuz if he has space to maneuver and an ounce of confidence... watch out the nets will be on fire.

With time and some weight room and mental preparation for next year to anticipate that type of treatment (think RIP soph year) he's going to score manyyyyyy points.

WeAreUCONN

Why So Serious ¿
Reaction Score
This is the perfect call out - teams have figured out if the game is a grinder they can basically muscle him and it throws his rhythm off and he is soft with the ball. Cuz if he has space to maneuver and an ounce of confidence... watch out the nets will be on fire.

With time and some weight room and mental preparation for next year to anticipate that type of treatment (think RIP soph year) he's going to score manyyyyyy points.
I agree. Hawkins could be an 18-20 pt scorer next year. Hawkins and Jackson could be a dynamic duo then throw in Sonogo and hopefully Cole, yikes.

Reaction Score
I guess they took the cues that he responds better to hype than to criticism.

Reaction Score
If Polley or Hawkins or better both get hot in the tournament this team can make a deep run.
The starting five will hold there own but the bench
will determine how far we get.
If one gets 15- 18 or combined 21- 24 we will be a difficult matchup.
The bench on this team has scoring potential we haven’t seen since 2004
Keep hoping bench scoring is the difference between good and great for this team.
The psychological effect on a team that plays hard for 10 minutes and the game is close, subs made and in minutes their down double figures as three’s fall is devastating,
Call down the thunder of Rashad Anderson

Reaction Score
If Polley or Hawkins or better both get hot in the tournament this team can make a deep run.
The starting five will hold there own but the bench
will determine how far we get.
If one gets 15- 18 or combined 21- 24 we will be a difficult matchup.
The bench on this team has scoring potential we haven’t seen since 2004
Keep hoping bench scoring is the difference between good and great for this team.
The psychological effect on a team that plays hard for 10 minutes and the game is close, subs made and in minutes their down double figures as three’s fall is devastating,
Call down the thunder of Rashad Anderson
Polley/Hawkins combo scored 23 points in a combined 30 min of play. Its actually beneficial for Hawkins to have an older shooter on the team.

Reaction Score
Our HC next year is just doing early damage control and making sure we keep our studs when our guy bounces below the MD line. I joke… I hope.

willie99

Loving life & enjoying the ride, despite the bumps
Reaction Score

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
That's a pretty unwise and unfair tag to place on a young guy. So he'll be Kobe Bryant, that's the new expectation? Dr. J? Dominique Wilkins? Maybe just Reggie Miller, Dwane Wade or Drexler?

If he can crack the top 5 that played at UConn, that would still be something impressive. He has a long way to go for that.

BGesus4

Running everywhere
Reaction Score
That's a pretty unwise and unfair tag to place on a young guy. So he'll be Kobe Bryant, that's the new expectation? Dr. J? Dominique Wilkins? Maybe just Reggie Miller, Dwane Wade or Drexler?

If he can crack the top 5 that played at UConn, that would still be something impressive. He has a long way to go for that.
Yeah I wonder if it was a misquote or he meant, “one of the best wings at UConn”

Reaction Score
Old basketball proverb.... "If you miss a shot, shoot until you make one. If you make shot, shoot until you miss."

Another one that applies to shooters..... "You can't make a shot until you attempt it."

In short, Hawkins just has to get 'em up.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
Kimani knows JH responds from positivity and not the other way around. Pump the kid up!!
I think that's true, we can see how down he can get on himself. Still, that much pumping could fill the Met Life Blimp.

Rico444

In the mix for six
Reaction Score
I loved his aggressiveness in this last game. He was shot ready and as a result he hit a good percentage of his 3s. That move where the defender thought he was going to shoot again and fell down, then Hawkins drove and passed it off to a big for an easy layup was beautiful.

Curiouser
Reaction Score
If you read the article at the end the quote is “When it’s all said and done, he’s going to be one of best wing players that has ever played here,”
Hmmm…I wondered about that when I read it, and I’m pretty sure the word “here“ was not part of the quote when I posted the article because I would not have deleted it, and I copied and pasted it from the article (and added the brackets for context). But it does make more sense, and it’s how I took the intent of the quote irrespective.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Simon

Top Bottom