Kim Mulkey hypocrisy in rant on NCAA. | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Kim Mulkey hypocrisy in rant on NCAA.

Reaction Score
I'd ask Kim why Baylor is even open for business? I agree that money has been a big factor for the NCAA but isn't that true for the academic side as well? Is putting thousands of 18-22 year olds from all over the country and the world together in dorms in their best interests or are colleges only interested in that tuition and board money? Are they safer there than at home? Are dorms being disinfected as often as gyms, locker rooms and athletic dining halls?
There seems to be consistent argument from some that college basketball teams are less safe than the general student populations and I don't believe that.

Reaction Score
That should change a lot of minds about Kim was not being a sore loser and popping off after a bad loss-aka this entire thread But so many people have made up their minds this will hardly get noticed. Thanks' for pointing it out.

This might change a few minds.

if in fact she said it before the game I will happily take back the part about appearing to be a sore loser............as far as complaining about playing the season, I would still assume that she had a major role in deciding whether her team should play or postpone their remaining games under the circumstances.........

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
I'd ask Kim why Baylor is even open for business? I agree that money has been a big factor for the NCAA but isn't that true for the academic side as well? Is putting thousands of 18-22 year olds from all over the country and the world together in dorms in their best interests or are colleges only interested in that tuition and board money? Are they safer there than at home? Are dorms being disinfected as often as gyms, locker rooms and athletic dining halls?
There seems to be consistent argument from some that college basketball teams are less safe than the general student populations and I don't believe that.
Before you go asking Kim such a ridiculous question you might want to check what Baylor is actually doing and give them some credit. Among the things Baylor is doing: "Before the start of the spring semester, Baylor is requiring a negative COVID-19 test from all students, faculty and staff." So not to burst your bubble but it would appear that students returning to Baylor are safer than staying at home because at least initially they are tested along with everyone around them. Not that Kim has anything to do with placing thousands of kids in dorms at Baylor but I understand that Kim is the only Baylor villain you know.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
if in fact she said it before the game I will happily take back the part about appearing to be a sore loser............as far as complaining about playing the season, I would still assume that she had a major role in deciding whether her team should play or postpone their remaining games under the circumstances.........
There are conflicting reports out there. Washington Post, ESPN and USA Today all report that the comments were made after the Iowa State loss.

Reaction Score
Before you go asking Kim such a ridiculous question you might want to check what Baylor is actually doing and give them some credit. Among the things Baylor is doing: "Before the start of the spring semester, Baylor is requiring a negative COVID-19 test from all students, faculty and staff." So not to burst your bubble but it would appear that students returning to Baylor are safer than staying at home because at least initially they are tested along with everyone around them. Not that Kim has anything to do with placing thousands of kids in dorms at Baylor but I understand that Kim is the only Baylor villain you know.

Kim engaged in risky behavior away from the program she was in charge of and caught covid as a result. For her to try and spin this into an NCAA failure is just BS.

Reaction Score
There are conflicting reports out there. Washington Post, ESPN and USA Today all report that the comments were made after the Iowa State loss.
if she hadn't voiced her feelings earlier in the season then it seems the loss really added to her frustrations but Baylor is hardly the exception.............every team still playing is going through the same stop and start emotional roller coaster and Baylor has managed to play ten games which is more than many.............

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
Kim engaged in risky behavior away from the program she was in charge of and caught covid as a result. For her to try and spin this into an NCAA failure is just BS.
Nah the real BS is your proposed agenda loaded question to Kim. "I'd ask Kim why Baylor is even open for business?" Kim is a basketball coach !

200.gif

AgStatesman

The Boards Most Rational Poster
Reaction Score

This what I saw as well. Who are the sources reporting before the game I wonder? My exhaustive investigative skills have not been able to dig up that pertinent information.

Coach K at Duke made the same whining protest. When did he do it? Right after his team lost. They are babies.

Reaction Score
Who is forcing Baylor WBB to play this season? if Kim feels it is such a risky thing to do, she should do what few other schools did and stop playing. The reality is (at least in my mind) is that the safest place for a student Athlete to be is in school playing as they are tested every day and have the medical resources of the university at their disposal.

#1florida

Midwest Husky
Reaction Score
My kids are grown and have exhausted their eligibility. If you had a daughter playing for Geno she would be doing exactly what Geno decided regardless of your advice or wishes. Likewise if your daughter was playing for Kim. Geno and Kim made opposite decisions regarding Christmas. Both decisions were made with the best interest of the kids in mind as they always are. You can disagree with either decision. I’m actually wondering if you read the article. You state she is blaming the NCAA for her risky actions and she definitely DOES NOT.
The lady doth protest too much!

Reaction Score
Family has nothing to do with it. She spent time with people who were outside her bubble.

I get it but I thought it was her immediate family - as in people she lives with. If not, I completely agree with you.

Reaction Score
Maybe we need to move along. Originally justified, but now continuing to beat this dead horse is unbecoming for the BY. Let's pick on coach K.

Reaction Score
I'm not trying to argue, but where did you read extended family? I thought it was "immediate" family. Whether anyone thinks there's a difference is up them but I think there is...
It was discussed in detail on the Baylor womens basketball web site. It was there that the extended family was mentioned. If it was just the same people she went home too then It would not have been an issue. The reason for the bubble is to eliminate sources of contact. When you are at an event, party or family get together you are not just making contact with the people attending but everyone they had contact with as well as those that contacted them. The risk increases eponentially.

Now it would appear that Kim might be more family oriented than many coaches and this would certainly impact in her decision as to what constitutes an acceptable risk. Its all a matter of trade off. This is also why she allowed her players to go home. Now in this case it turned out badly and that had to weigh on her mind. I concure with HopJim that her rant was probably related to extranious issues as well. Possible as a way of mitigating the consequences of her decision. Possibly other decisions we do not know about involving her frustration with how her team has digressed from the powerhouse it was along having the top recruiting class in the country to her present lack of pieces to work with.

Reaction Score
Is it only a single negative test? often numerous tests need to be done before COVID is detected.

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score

Auriemma largely agrees with Mulkey (Alternative link.)

Except that he doesn't really agree with her at all. He's just being diplomatic.
Yes, Geno is being diplomatic about Mulkey's position, but points out the hypocrisy of coaches wanting to be paid but blaming the NCAA somehow about that. He picks this whole Mulkey thing apart in this video segment:

Reaction Score
cant be too eager to call it quits she's still picking up transfers mid season

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
@willtalk No attack but definitely post game. All coaches are emotionally driven.

It's laugh out loud funny how she can rant about the NCAA not canceling the season when she could have done so herself. Her cred has been diminished in the past with the Griner situation.
It's wah wah wah about the NCAA, does she realize if not for them & title 9 she would not be making over two million a year?
Ahh... could that be the real reason she is uncomfortable, no play no pay? Not sure but this is a laughing matter as far as she is concerned on this outburst.
That's a bit shallow for me. Title IX has very little to do with Kim's salary. Most of her salary can be attributed to her being a damn good coach. As far as her not getting paid if she opted out, Baylor like Duke is a private institution=that would be up Baylor not the NCAA. Duke Opted out and Kara Lawson is still collecting a check mainly because she is still doing the other parts of her job like recruiting and her kids are still practicing and developing their skills. Kim did botch the Griner situation and she probably botch the post game after Iowa State.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Is it only a single negative test? often numerous tests need to be done before COVID is detected.
Exactly. Mulkey is reported to have had 2 negative tests before returning and it was the third test that proved her infected.
Anyone who thinks that basketball players at Baylor are at a greater risk than the general student population has it backwards.

Big Mick

The all knowing Mick
Reaction Score
Everyone dumping on Kim.

News Flash: ALL coaches hate to lose.

Geno hates to lose and he is smart enough NOT to show the raw emotion....mostly.

Kim hates to lose and she often verbalizes her true emotion about the situation.

Problem is, verbalizing emotion can get away from you and turn into a stream of consciousness that is often described as a rant.

Props to Kim for fiercely defending herself, her players and the university.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom