Kim Mulkey hypocrisy in rant on NCAA. | The Boneyard

Kim Mulkey hypocrisy in rant on NCAA.

HuskylnSC

North is a direction; South is a lifestyle
Reaction Score
Kim's quote, ""The NCAA has to have the almighty dollar from the men's tournament. The almighty dollar is more important than the health and welfare of me, the players or anybody else."

She rants on how the NCAA doesn't care about her health. Says Covid is real. She know she has had it. All correct and unarguable form my perspective.

But Kim you got the disease at home, from a family member over Christmas. If you had cared about your health and your team's health why did you send them all home for the holidays. The NCAA didn't send anyone off campus, you did. You paid for it by getting sick and canceling a game that should have been played.

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
I won't question the genuiness of Kim's concern, though @HuskeyinSC points out the irony of her attack. I suspect the concerns rise up in the minds of most coaches. However, Kim is know to lash out after a loss like this. Fact is, if she believes it is better not to play, she should go talk to her AD and do what Duke did.

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
Note to self...........don't go outside in sub-zero degree temperature without a hat, coat or any protective clothing and complain about it being cold. You could have layered up before going outside. :eek:

Blueballer

Transhumanist Consultant
Reaction Score
I won't question the genuiness of Kim's concern, though @HuskeyinSC points out the irony of her attack. I suspect the concerns rise up in the minds of most coaches. However, Kim is know to lash out after a loss like this. Fact is, if she believes it is better not to play, she should go talk to her AD and do what Duke did.

I don't doubt her sincerity either but it would have been better had she said these things before a game or inbetween games. She really comes off as a sore loser when she goes on these rants after a loss.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
Kim's quote, ""The NCAA has to have the almighty dollar from the men's tournament. The almighty dollar is more important than the health and welfare of me, the players or anybody else."

She rants on how the NCAA doesn't care about her health. Says Covid is real. She know she has had it. All correct and unarguable form my perspective.

But Kim you got the disease at home, from a family member over Christmas. If you had cared about your health and your team's health why did you send them all home for the holidays. The NCAA didn't send anyone off campus, you did. You paid for it by getting sick and canceling a game that should have been played.
Kim goes home everyday after practice, when she was home for Christmas she caught COVID. Christmas could have just as easily been Tuesday -unless you think Kim is Living full time in a bubble with her team at Baylor. I don't find Kim quote to be hypocritical at all. She made a decision to send her kids home for Christmas as did many other coaches. Given the mental stress and uncertainty caused by COVID I'm sure these kids appreciated a few days at home during Christmas. You are making it seem like Kim sent these kids home knowing she would catch COVID.

HuskylnSC

North is a direction; South is a lifestyle
Reaction Score
You are making it seem like Kim sent these kids home knowing she would catch COVID.
Not at all. I assume you have kids and I assume you want to take care of your kids. I assume you want your kids as safe as they can be. If I had a daughter playing for Geno right now, my advice to her would have been to stay at school where she is the safest. We can facetime, skype, zoom. We will miss you but stay where you are safe. Again the NCAA didn't send her kids home and the NCAA didn't have a gathering with Kim's relative that gave her covid. The hypocrisy lies in her risky actions and then blaming the NCAA

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
Not at all. I assume you have kids and I assume you want to take care of your kids. I assume you want your kids as safe as they can be. If I had a daughter playing for Geno right now, my advice to her would have been to stay at school where she is the safest. We can facetime, skype, zoom. We will miss you but stay where you are safe. Again the NCAA didn't send her kids home and the NCAA didn't have a gathering with Kim's relative that gave her covid. The hypocrisy lies in her risky actions and then blaming the NCAA
My kids are grown and have exhausted their eligibility. If you had a daughter playing for Geno she would be doing exactly what Geno decided regardless of your advice or wishes. Likewise if your daughter was playing for Kim. Geno and Kim made opposite decisions regarding Christmas. Both decisions were made with the best interest of the kids in mind as they always are. You can disagree with either decision. I’m actually wondering if you read the article. You state she is blaming the NCAA for her risky actions and she definitely DOES NOT.

Reaction Score
Kim, article.
Meanwhile, women's basketball teams at Duke, Virginia, SMU and San Jose State have chosen to end their seasons early due to the threat of the virus. The lack of a cohesive plan for all schools has been a sore spot for many coaches.

"One conference does this, one conference does that. The CDC says this. Everybody is confused. I'm confused," Mulkey said. "I'm uncomfortable coaching."

So instead of pulling the plug...... this rant could have taken place weeks ago. This is all about losing to a team they should not have. A team that starts three freshmen. Congrats to the Cyclones. ;)

MooseJaw

Bullmoose#1
Reaction Score
Kim goes home everyday after practice, when she was home for Christmas she caught COVID. Christmas could have just as easily been Tuesday -unless you think Kim is Living full time in a bubble with her team at Baylor. I don't find Kim quote to be hypocritical at all. She made a decision to send her kids home for Christmas as did many other coaches. Given the mental stress and uncertainty caused by COVID I'm sure these kids appreciated a few days at home during Christmas. You are making it seem like Kim sent these kids home knowing she would catch COVID.
Really, she had a group of extended family there, not the same as going home every day to your immediate family. Coco you are far more understanding than I am.

Reaction Score
as others have said, she had the opportunity to end the season or not even play the season if she thought it was a major risk to her team and staff............why did this rant only take place well into the season after a bad loss? Not a good look..........:oops:

Reaction Score
From what I heard she gave that statement right before the game. So it was not because she lost. However, I would agree that her rational was way off base. It was her decision that put her in harms way by being around extended family for the holidays. Really unnecessary self indulgent behavior. Her rant against the NCAA might just be a form of denial for her own accountability. Being a good coach does not always translate as being objective and logical. She has always been emotionally dirven.

Reaction Score
From what I heard she gave that statement right before the game. So it was not because she lost. However, I would agree that her rational was way off base. It was her decision that put her in harms way by being around extended family for the holidays. Really unnecessary self indulgent behavior. Her rant against the NCAA might just be a form of denial for her own accountability. Being a good coach does not always translate as being objective and logical. She has always been emotionally dirven.

I'm not trying to argue, but where did you read extended family? I thought it was "immediate" family. Whether anyone thinks there's a difference is up them but I think there is...

Reaction Score
My reaction is somewhat different
Hard to argue with coach mulkey’s
Observation regarding the contention that
$ are the reason the season is being played
Don’t see how she can have it both ways
Those $ pay what I am sure is a seven figure salary etc. the cost explosion in
College sports is to a large degree driven by coaches salaries.

Reaction Score
@willtalk No attack but definitely post game. All coaches are emotionally driven.

It's laugh out loud funny how she can rant about the NCAA not canceling the season when she could have done so herself. Her cred has been diminished in the past with the Griner situation.
It's wah wah wah about the NCAA, does she realize if not for them & title 9 she would not be making over two million a year?
Ahh... could that be the real reason she is uncomfortable, no play no pay? Not sure but this is a laughing matter as far as she is concerned on this outburst.

Last edited:

cockhrnleghrn

Crowing rooster
Reaction Score
If you watch her during games, she doesn't wear her mask properly, half the time. I don't think there should be fans in the stands this season, anywhere, but I'm glad there's been a season.

Reaction Score
From personal experience, I find that emotional rants are often caused by issues over and above the mentioned subject. I have to believe that Kim has had a strong voice in her team's Covid related decisions. I wonder what was motivating her?

skilz

Final Four Bound!
Reaction Score
I don't doubt her sincerity either but it would have been better had she said these things before a game or inbetween games. She really comes off as a sore loser when she goes on these rants after a loss.
She said this before the game and not after the loss.

Reaction Score
@willtalk No attack but definitely post game. All coaches are emotionally driven.

It's laugh out loud funny how she can rant about the NCAA not canceling the season when she could have done so herself. Her cred has been diminished in the past with the Griner situation.
It's wah wah wah about the NCAA, does she realize if not for them & title 9 she would not be making over two million a year?
Ahh... could that be the real reason she is uncomfortable, no play no pay? Not sure but this is a laughing matter as far as she is concerned on this outburst.
FWIW Geno agreed with Kim today in his pregame presser...

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
She said this before the game and not after the loss.
That should change a lot of minds about Kim was not being a sore loser and popping off after a bad loss-aka this entire thread But so many people have made up their minds this will hardly get noticed. Thanks' for pointing it out.
FWIW Geno agreed with Kim today in his pregame presser...

This might change a few minds.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leepaul

Top Bottom