Kim English to Providence? | The Boneyard

Kim English to Providence?

Reaction Score
Heard he is the front runner.

He recruited some of my high school players to Tulsa while he was there. Was really impressed with him and he has moved up the ranks quickly. Don't think Providence is his forever job, but I think it would be a good move rather than some retread.

BTW they think they could possibly get Billy Donovan. LOL.

Reaction Score
Kim English would be a great option for them. Cheap, former pro (if brief), and has some high major AHC experience at Tenn. Not sure they have the chops to pull in one of these elite mid-major guys like Becker or the guy at Charleston.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Kim English would be a great option for them. Cheap, former pro (if brief), and has some high major AHC experience at Tenn. Not sure they have the chops to pull in one of these elite mid-major guys like Becker or the guy at Charleston.

Are you serious? Given what the pay differential would be, Becker would probably jump at an offer to coach in the Big East.

Reaction Score
Two years experience as a head coach.
Both at George Mason. 34-29 overall. Team finished 9th and 5th in the A10.
If I was a PC fan. I wouldn't be too happy with this hire.
Why not?

He's one of the most prized young head coaching talents in the nation. He's only 34 and has been an assistant coach since he was 26 at Tulsa, Colorado and Tennessee and he'd get a glowing recommendation from Rick Barnes.

FWIW from a consistently accurate Twitter account:

Reaction Score
Are you serious? Given what the pay differential would be, Becker would probably jump at an offer to coach in the Big East.

Becker has had a dozen HC offers over the years. It isn't about the money for him. He'd probably quadruple his salary though... so who knows.

At the risk of outing myself and having you folks looking up my abysmal stats... I did not play at UVM but met Becker many times and played pick up with their players dozens of times over the years. The guy bleeds maple syrup.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Kim English would be a major letdown but at least they'll save a bunch of money.

Rico444

In the mix for six
Reaction Score
This is the same Kim English that played at Missouri, right? I thought he was super young, then I looked it up and saw that he graduated 11 years ago. Guess I'm getting old!

Reaction Score
It would be Rick Barnes 2.0.

He will do pretty well at PC for a couple years then move on once the opportunity arises.
The thing is, that might be the best PC can hope for. Cooley basically used them as a stepping stone and he has tied to Providence, thats been his home his whole life, if he gets poached what hope do they have with an unrelated hire who succeeds

TRest

Horrible
Reaction Score
What did Cooley's resume look like at Fairfield? If somebody is the right guy, he will flourish with better facilities, etc. What isn't going to happen is PC paying 3 million for a guy making a move up.

Reaction Score
Why not?

He's one of the most prized young head coaching talents in the nation. He's only 34 and has been an assistant coach since he was 26 at Tulsa, Colorado and Tennessee and he'd get a glowing recommendation from Rick Barnes.

FWIW from a consistently accurate Twitter account:

He just hasn't proven anything as a HC, it could definitely work out but could also be a disaster.

Reaction Score
What did Cooley's resume look like at Fairfield? If somebody is the right guy, he will flourish with better facilities, etc. What isn't going to happen is PC paying 3 million for a guy making a move up.
Wasn't it Sacred Heart?

Reaction Score
Heard he is the front runner.

He recruited some of my high school players to Tulsa while he was there. Was really impressed with him and he has moved up the ranks quickly. Don't think Providence is his forever job, but I think it would be a good move rather than some retread.

BTW they think they could possibly get Billy Donovan. LOL.
Is he Alex English's son?

Reaction Score
Cooley was HC at Fairfield for 5 years. Ended up 92-69. Improved every year and was 23-11 and 25-8 in his final two years finishing 2nd and 1st in their league. They also won a game each of those years in the CIT and the NIT.
A far better and more extensive HC history than English has right now.

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score

They could hire John Becker with a text message.

But they won’t because they do not want to hire John Becker.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
Two years experience as a head coach.
Both at George Mason. 34-29 overall. Team finished 9th and 5th in the A10.
If I was a PC fan. I don't thin I'd be too happy with this hire.

Providence is going after English because I think the coach at Salve Regina already said he wasn't interested.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
I thought so too. He's overdue to land a better job and isn't well paid. UVM pays him $335k.

The guy at Charleston, Pat Kelsey is really solid, won pretty consistently at Winthrop before making CoC a winner. Coached and played for Xavier. He makes $1.1m at CoC. He should absolutely be on the list, and PC can easily double his salary.

Reaction Score
I thought so too. He's overdue to land a better job and isn't well paid. UVM pays him $335k.

The guy at Charleston, Pat Kelsey is really solid, won pretty consistently at Winthrop before making CoC a winner. Coached and played for Xavier. He makes $1.1m at CoC. He should absolutely be on the list, and PC can easily double his salary.
He just signed a new extension not that would hold him back from getting a better job. He's also the guy that got the job at UMass and had second thoughts and it was a whole fiasco. He would be a great fit because he's a legit crazy person which you kind of need there I think to stand out. The whole UMass thing probably really screwed him in getting a job in the Northeast.

Kim English would be beyond an underwhelming hire. Sure he's a "rising star" but would like to see more than 2 years in the A-10, one of which (this year) was an extremely down year for the conference. Like Cooley did at Fairfield at least get to some sort of postseason tournament and grab a win or two.

If you think about it, the job is pretty unattractive. No recruiting base, mediocre at best arena, decent local support but always going to be overshadowed by the New England pro teams on a routine basis. I definitely worry about them making a mediocre hire (ex. English) they should at least go for a decent name (heck Archie Miller is at URI and he came from Indiana of all places). Someone like Anthony Grant at Dayton or Mike Rhoads would be better gets from the A-10. Heck I'd even go get Travis Ford at least he coached at UMass and had decent success.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CJasmer

Top Bottom