Kim Barnes Arico to Michigan | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Kim Barnes Arico to Michigan

Status
Not open for further replies.

ThisJustIn

Queen of Queens
Reaction Score
I need to find the article, but Borseth's "I'm back and here's why" sounded a lot like..well, whining. "I had no idea it would be this tough. Recruiting is hard. I'd rather be where the expectations aren't so high."

I think Kim is ready to go at the big dogs, if she's given the horses. IIRC, Michigan has some new facilities -- and considering the stumbling of their football program, they may be willing to spend to become relevant again. In whatever sport.

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
One also has to consider the incredible difference in cost of living between NYC and Ann Arbor.
I was also wondering about the thought of raising a young family in NYC vs. Ann Arbor. I would not be surprised if that didn't contribute to the decision as well.

Reaction Score
I was also wondering about the thought of raising a young family in NYC vs. Ann Arbor. I would not be surprised if that didn't contribute to the decision as well.

I'm sure that's PART of the calculation.

While Michigan has been having a tough time (as a state) lately, Ann Arbor is pretty darn nice and City of Detroit notwithstanding, there are some great opportunities in the area.

What kind of work does Mr. Arico do?
I would think U of Mich would be attractive to a LOT of (especially Mid-West) recruits.
I predict great things for Kim.

Reaction Score

Hopefully, you post this with some first hand knowledge of living in New York. It is, by no means, an easy place in which to raise kids, but New York is and will always be a great place, period. My kids, having grown up in the Bronx, are in no hurry to leave.

CamrnCrz1974

Good Guy for a Dookie
Reaction Score
I'm not convinced SJU was a flash in the pan - there's an abundance of local talent.

And you would be correct. She took over a terrible program that was 3-24 and winless (0-16) in the Big East prior to her arrival. Here is her record at St. John's:

2002-03 — St. John's — 8-19 (2-14 Big East)
2003-04 — St. John's — 10-18 (4-12 Big East)
2004-05 — St. John's — 20-11 (7-9 Big East)
*2005-06 — St. John's — 22-8 (11-5 Big East)
2006-07 — St. John's — 8-20 (4-12 Big East)
2007-08 — St. John's — 18-15 (7-9 Big East)
2008-09 — St. John's — 19-15 (4-12 Big East)
*2009-10 — St. John's — 24-6 (12-4 Big East)
*2010-11 — St. John's — 22-11 (9-7 Big East)
*2011-12 — St. John's — 24-10 (13-3 Big East)
*Made NCAA tournament

From The Detroit News: http://www.detroitnews.com/article/20120420/SPORTS0203/204200409#ixzz1sbsIuHeZ

Reaction Score
I need to find the article, but Borseth's "I'm back and here's why" sounded a lot like..well, whining. "I had no idea it would be this tough. Recruiting is hard. I'd rather be where the expectations aren't so high."

I think Kim is ready to go at the big dogs, if she's given the horses. IIRC, Michigan has some new facilities -- and considering the stumbling of their football program, they may be willing to spend to become relevant again. In whatever sport.

If that quote is accurate, then Mr Borseth, clearly, was not ready for the big time. He will regret saying that if his ambitions were to climb again.

Reaction Score
Michigan certainly has struggled to find success despite having the resources, a good academic institution, and solid exposure for its athletic programs.

I would hope that, prior to accepting the job, Kim did her due diligence to understand why these failures occurred, as well as understand the cultural and circumstantial nuances that may impact a coach's ability to be successful. Michigan may have had money, but they still needed her as much as, if not more than, she needed them. This is leverage that I hope she used to engage in frank discussions, assess honestly that she was the right person for the job, and get commitments for anything else she needed.

Agreed. It seems that Michigan lost a bit of its allure when Bo passed. And there are no icons in waiting residing at the Big House at the present time.

Reaction Score
I'm sure that's PART of the calculation.

While Michigan has been having a tough time (as a state) lately, Ann Arbor is pretty darn nice and City of Detroit notwithstanding, there are some great opportunities in the area.

What kind of work does Mr. Arico do?
I would think U of Mich would be attractive to a LOT of (especially Mid-West) recruits.
I predict great things for Kim.

Mr. Arrico is an educator and a coach, so will probably adjust nicely in Ann Arbor.

msf22b

Maestro
Reaction Score
I'm with VAU; living in the "Village," rents can be high but food can be purchased cheaply, entertainment and educational opportunities are unparalleled, Safety is at a new high. The city is a ideal playground for kids.

alexrgct

RIP, Alex
Reaction Score
I'm with VAU; living in the "Village," rents can be high but food can be purchased cheaply, entertainment and educational opportunities are unparalleled, Safety is at a new high. The city is a ideal playground for kids.
Culturally, NYC is great. Space/lack thereof is an issue. The cost of education can be significant, as can the competitiveness among parents for resource and achievement.

Reaction Score
I see a UCONN / Michigan two year contract in the very near future. Is next years schedule fully set? Geno is loyal to his friends, so you know this will happen!

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
Hopefully, you post this with some first hand knowledge of living in New York. It is, by no means, an easy place in which to raise kids, but New York is and will always be a great place, period. My kids, having grown up in the Bronx, are in no hurry to leave.
I spent about 10 years living in Manhattan working in the theater after college (before I got wise, gave up art, and started earning big bucks!) I loved my time there in the 80's and have been impressed with the changes for the better since I left. BUT, I also worked with a program bringing artist groups into elementary and HS around the five buroughs (including Spofford juvenile detention center in the south Bronx!) so I am not sure I would trust the public schools with a child of mine - which would just add to the expense equation. I have lots of friends who did grow up in NYC and the ones that survive the experiment came out with a certain sophistication and edge that is great, but I have also seen some of their brothers/sisters who did not thrive in the same environment and have paid for it ever since.
I am not knocking NYC per se, I would feel the same about any big city. I think kids can get in trouble anywhere they grow up, but big city life just has a few more pitfalls for them than small city/suburban/rural living. (I happened to grow up in Storrs as a fac-brat so maybe I am just more partial to cows and the dairy bar.)

alexrgct

RIP, Alex
Reaction Score
I spent about 10 years living in Manhattan working in the theater after college (before I got wise, gave up art, and started earning big bucks!) I loved my time there in the 80's and have been impressed with the changes for the better since I left. BUT, I also worked with a program bringing artist groups into elementary and HS around the five buroughs (including Spofford juvenile detention center in the south Bronx!) so I am not sure I would trust the public schools with a child of mine - which would just add to the expense equation. I have lots of friends who did grow up in NYC and the ones that survive the experiment came out with a certain sophistication and edge that is great, but I have also seen some of their brothers/sisters who did not thrive in the same environment and have paid for it ever since.
I am not knocking NYC per se, I would feel the same about any big city. I think kids can get in trouble anywhere they grow up, but big city life just has a few more pitfalls for them than small city/suburban/rural living. (I happened to grow up in Storrs as a fac-brat so maybe I am just more partial to cows and the dairy bar.)
The pitfalls in NYC are especially significant because you don't need to drive to get places.

Another comment I'd make about Northeastern cities (vis a vis the Midwest and South especially) is that parents put a gigantic amount of pressure on themselves and their children to get into elite colleges, despite the fact that a) such institutions are not appropriate or beneficial for everyone, b) admission into a school is hardly an end in itself, and c) it is eminently possible to have a happy and successful life without the cachet of an Ivy or equivalent degree. Middle class and above NYC and Boston-area parents are the worst about this. It's really quite odious.

KnightBridgeAZ

Grand Canyon Knight
Reaction Score
To reel it in just a little bit - Queens is not Manhattan or the Bronx. Yes, some of the same disadvantages apply (and it could be argued some of the advantages do not), but, all in all, much of Queens is not that different from many areas considered suburbia.

St. John's does have disadvantages - and I suspect limited resources for WBB - that might be better in Ann Arbor. You are almost certainly going (mostly) after very different recruits, it will be interesting to see how this plays out.

triaddukefan

Tobacco Road Gastronomer
Reaction Score
Good to see another Big 10 program make a positive coaching move..... there are a few sleeping giants (well maybe not giants) in the Big 10.... and hopefully they will be awakened in the near future.

Brief article on the change
http://www.greenfieldreporter.com/v...56a93c984cdd5430a1/BKW--Michigan-Barnes-Arico

She must have got alot more $ at Michigan.
I would rather be #3 in Big East vs #? in B1G Ten.

But at least she knows the Big 10 will be still be around in 3-5 years :rolleyes:

Reaction Score
I was a little surprised Kim left her home area for Michigan, but when you consider what Michigan can offer in salary as a Big-10 football school versus St. John's. And Michigan clearly wanted a splash. And that the Big 10 is wide open with the opportunity to build an elite team. It is competitive, but devoid of top ten programs.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
Possible scenario:

KBA does Ok for 1-2 years. The team competes near the top of the conference by year 3. By year 5, they are the class of the conference. Year 6, she is a very viable candidate in Austin or Knoxville.

pap49cba

The Supreme Linkster
Reaction Score
This is a great hire by Michigan. Best of luck Kim!

~*Jen*~

Mommy to the Mini Mojo Keeper
Reaction Score
Sucks for SJU but I'm thrilled for U-M. :D

Reaction Score
A further note on what she faces:
MI has made the NCAAs a total of five times, never advancing past the 2nd round.

Next year's roster looks full (15 players), but 5 will be seniors so she will have some room to bring in a bunch of her kind of players for 2013-14.

Hoopgurlz #29 for next year, Antania Hayes, is from Detroit but doesnt have MI on her list. Few other top recruits are from near Ann Arbor.

speedoo

Big Apple Big Dog
Reaction Score
A further note on what she faces:
MI has made the NCAAs a total of five times, never advancing past the 2nd round.

Next year's roster looks full (15 players), but 5 will be seniors so she will have some room to bring in a bunch of her kind of players for 2013-14.

Hoopgurlz #29 for next year, Antania Hayes, is from Detroit but doesnt have MI on her list. Few other top recruits are from near Ann Arbor.
And a note on what she brings: she is one of the very, very few active coaches that can look a recruit in the eye and say: "I know how to build a program from scratch to the point that we were able to beat UConn. On their floor. Come to Ann Arbor and help me do that again."

Reaction Score
And a note on what she brings: she is one of the very, very few active coaches that can look a recruit in the eye and say: "I know how to build a program from scratch to the point that we were able to beat UConn. On their floor. Come to Ann Arbor and help me do that again."
Good point, Speedo. Best of luck to Kim, I too am sorry to see her go.

Reaction Score
Great move for her. Potential to be a real step up.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Darkbloom

Top Bottom