Kim Barnes Arico to Michigan | The Boneyard

Kim Barnes Arico to Michigan

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wbbfan1

And That’s The Way It Is
Reaction Score
Big Loss for St John's, she accomplished so much with limited resources. She obviously knows NY and will be able to recruit NY girls to Michigan.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
We'll miss Kim, but it's a good move for her and Michigan. Congrats!

Who gets the SJU job? Anyone with UConn ties?

sarals24

Lone Starlet
Reaction Score
Oh MAN. That is a big loss for St. John's. She seemed really close with her team, that must have been hard to tell them. Great hire for Michigan, but I am sad to see her go. I really thought that she could develop St. John's into another BE rival for Uconn down the road.

alexrgct

RIP, Alex
Reaction Score
Illinois, Auburn, and Michigan have made terrific hires, hires that demonstrate a clear commitment to producing the best WBB teams possible. The coaches they've hired are all professionals who have demonstrated the ability to field ranked, competitive teams despite having limited talent relative to regional and/or league rivals. All come to their respective new schools at a similar disadvantage. If you can improve the quality of play, the recruits will follow.

Wbbfan1

And That’s The Way It Is
Reaction Score
Probably explains why Meghan Duffy left St Johns to go to Georgetown. I wonder if Assoc Head Coach Joe Tartamella will get a chance or will St Johns only consider a female.

We'll miss Kim, but it's a good move for her and Michigan. Congrats!

Who gets the SJU job? Anyone with UConn ties?

sarals24

Lone Starlet
Reaction Score
Texas really dropped the ball. They have the resources, I don't understand why they don't make the commitment to making UT a top-10 program again. So frustrating. Would love to have great basketball and an excuse to go to Austin. (I will drive to Waco, but only if UConn is there)

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
Probably explains why Meghan Duffy left St Johns to go to Georgetown. I wonder if Assoc Head Coach Joe Tartamella will get a chance or will St Johns only consider a female.
I think Meghan went to GW, not G'town. The basic point, though, is that she left.

alexrgct

RIP, Alex
Reaction Score
Texas really dropped the ball. They have the resources, I don't understand why they don't make the commitment to making UT a top-10 program again. So frustrating. Would love to have great basketball and an excuse to go to Austin. (I will drive to Waco, but only if UConn is there)
It was like they said, "Oh well, we made a splash hire and it didn't work, and Baylor/OU/A&M made quiet hires that were successful, so that's clearly what we need to do...oh, and let's be sure that the hire harkens back to the Jody Conradt era that started going stale 21 years ago."

alexrgct

RIP, Alex
Reaction Score

speedoo

Big Apple Big Dog
Reaction Score

Icebear

Andlig Ledare
Reaction Score
TX will soon be left even further behind. Great hire by Michigan but I will really be sorry to see Kim go. She is a great coach and will be worth every penny Michigan pays her.

Reaction Score
It is much easier to win in the B10 with the talent that she gets. Simple. The B10 is not a competitive WCBB conference. Most BE teams could join right now and tear those teams up next season and win the regular season and tourney titles.

Georgetown without Sugar and St. John's without Kim with a pretty talented senior class won't do much next season. UCONN, ND/Louiville, Rutgers will be the top 4 in the standings next year

speedoo

Big Apple Big Dog
Reaction Score
It is much easier to win in the B10 with the talent that she gets. Simple. The B10 is not a competitive WCBB conference. Most BE teams could join right now and tear those teams up next season and win the regular season and tourney titles.

Georgetown without Sugar and St. John's without Kim with a pretty talented senior class won't do much next season. UCONN, ND/Louiville, Rutgers will be the top 4 in the standings next year
Sugar has one more year at Georgetown, but they lose just about all their other top players to graduation this year.

Reaction Score
Sugar has one more year at Georgetown, but they lose just about all their other top players to graduation this year.

On her twitter she has been rambling about transferring or going to Europe and playing pro ball. I'm not sure if the new coach that is hired will be able to keep her around.

Reaction Score
I dunno. Many thought Green Bay coach Borseth was going to turn things around at MI and he couldn't do it. The old SMS coach couldn't either.

I'm not convinced SJU was a flash in the pan - there's an abundance of local talent. With the right coach - and KBA seemed to fit that bill - seems no reason that extended success can't be possible.

Sad to see her go and hurts an experienced SJU team that might've challenged for 2nd next year.

Wbbfan1

And That’s The Way It Is
Reaction Score
St Johns Press Release - Link

Doesn't sound like Joe Tartamella the Assoc Head Coach will be the replacement.

I'll be curious what salary Kim will receive at Michigan and could St Johns have easily matched it and would that have led to Kim staying.

Ozzie Nelson

RIP, Ozzie
Reaction Score
Oh MAN. That is a big loss for St. John's. She seemed really close with her team, that must have been hard to tell them. Great hire for Michigan, but I am sad to see her go. I really thought that she could develop St. John's into another BE rival for Uconn down the road.

Congrats to her, she did the best for herself ...I give the same to recruits or student athletes who transfer. Goose and Gander stuff, as I see it.

on edit

Well, only student-athletes have to sit out a year.

Reaction Score
At the risk of casting a pall on this new hire, Michigan, of late, has been an aspiring coach's graveyard.

alexrgct

RIP, Alex
Reaction Score
St Johns Press Release - Link

Doesn't sound like Joe Tartamella the Assoc Head Coach will be the replacement.

I'll be curious what salary Kim will receive at Michigan and could St Johns have easily matched it and would that have led to Kim staying.
One also has to consider the incredible difference in cost of living between NYC and Ann Arbor.

KnightBridgeAZ

Grand Canyon Knight
Reaction Score
I dunno. Many thought Green Bay coach Borseth was going to turn things around at MI and he couldn't do it. The old SMS coach couldn't either.

I'm not convinced SJU was a flash in the pan - there's an abundance of local talent. With the right coach - and KBA seemed to fit that bill - seems no reason that extended success can't be possible.

Sad to see her go and hurts an experienced SJU team that might've challenged for 2nd next year.
Comparing Borseth to "whats her name" from the old SWMS, known to RU fans as "the whistler", is an insult to Borseth. Borseth was / is a good coach, I don't know what the problem was at Michigan, but like some folks are saying I worry that KBA could struggle there.

I wonder if the style of the BiG, which is actually quite competitive within the conference but doesn't seem so successful against OOC foes hinders outsiders. Of all the conferences, BiG and Pac12 have, to me, the most distinctive "styles" of play, some would say each conference has certain distinctive features of style that can be seen across most teams.

alexrgct

RIP, Alex
Reaction Score
At the risk of casting a pall on this new hire, Michigan, of late, has been an aspiring coach's graveyard.
Michigan certainly has struggled to find success despite having the resources, a good academic institution, and solid exposure for its athletic programs.

I would hope that, prior to accepting the job, Kim did her due diligence to understand why these failures occurred, as well as understand the cultural and circumstantial nuances that may impact a coach's ability to be successful. Michigan may have had money, but they still needed her as much as, if not more than, she needed them. This is leverage that I hope she used to engage in frank discussions, assess honestly that she was the right person for the job, and get commitments for anything else she needed.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Darkbloom

Top Bottom