Kibitzer Memorial Badass Award | Page 3 | The Boneyard

Kibitzer Memorial Badass Award

Reaction Score
Azzi! She's our best point guard and our best shooting guard. She handles the ball so well and she's wicked fast. She may have to play both positions at the same time going forward. That young lady is freaking good!!!
Ummm, no. I am totally team Azzi, and am rooting for her to be named player of the year, but she is not our best point guard. That would be Nika, on both sides of the court. I have been blown away by Nika's abilities as a distributor, and by how well she organizes the offense. Plus when Aziz plays pg she has to make sure that everyone eats, which limits her shots and plays into her reluctance to take over a game, even when that is needed.

Reaction Score
AZZI... HM to everyone.
Special accolades to the refs for NOT calling all those TEXAS FLOPS
in front of AZZI. Watch the replays.... Coach Schaefer plan was to
flop AZZI into foul trouble. KUDOS to the refs!!

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
Azzi was amazing... but kudos need to go out to Aubrey, Dorka, Nika, and Aaliyah...

This was a team effort
and this team showed some grit.... The Team should be proud of itself!

And Honorable mention to Lou
Correct me if I'm wrong (and I may be), my understanding is there is only 1 player designated the BADDASS. This is not an award or designation that is split or shared, although posters like to do so. There can be honorable mentions, but only 1 trophy per game. The Kibitzer started this award. I don't recall him ever stating any formal guidelines for selecting a BA. He simply made the call after each game. That being said....................

Let's make no mistake about it, This was Azzi's coming out game. This was a TEAM win!!! No argument about that. Azzi DID NOT do it alone. She had lots of help. But down the stretch, Azzi put this team on her back and carried it to victory. Lou got us going early. Azzi came out slow but got hot as the game progressed. UConn needed everything it got from everyone that played.

Let's keep it real and 100 friends, Azzi Fudd's play kept UConn in the game and out front. Every time Texas made a run, Azzi stopped it with a clutch basket. Of course other players made considerable contributions to this victory, and those contributions are duly recognized.
But Azzi was the BADDASS for this game. Texas lost by 7 points. UConn does not win this game without Azzi's 32 points. I respect the opinions of others and their right to express them. I always try to be and remain objective in my observations and my comments. The BADDASS designation for THIS game is a no brainer. One player stood out in this game without peer. Azzi Fudd.

Tonyc called it. He names the game's BA. He didn't elaborate. He didn't have to. If you saw the game, you knew who it was. In other games, there may be some doubt, and posters have made a case for different players. Fans can watch a game, any game and DO NOT see the game the same. That's OK. Based on all of the comments I read, AZZI is the consensus BA for this game, period!!! If she's not your BA, so be it. You can have your own BA. No problem. :cool:

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Azzi was solid. No doubt about that! I still am just amazed at the level of conditioning this early in a season. You had 4 players play at least 35 MINUTES, being pressed and STILL beating the defense down the floor. The conditioning coach gets an A+ from me again. AND Taylor Jones was GASSED. I'm certain that's why she wasn't in the game toward the end.

Tonyc

Optimus Prime
Reaction Score
Let me say this about my friend Kibitzer. We live less then a mile from each other. We went to games together for years. We are both Veterans and would meet at the American Legion in Norwalk as he would say for a couple of belts and talk about the team and the games. He was a LT Coronel in the US Army. Back in the day he would make limerick signs that would rhyme with the recruits names in them that would come to the Supershow and we would bring them to the Supershow. They were signs much like the fans bring today only they had limericks on them. We had to stop after the NCAA 37 page NCAA violation filed by Tenn. This past Veterans Day Ceremony at the Norwalk City Hall was the first one missed by Kib. Mrs Kib was there though. Kib was a classic and when he got ill it was tuff to watch. Mrs Kib was by his side taking care of him. He came up with the Badass award for one player in each game that he thought had the best game and there were no seconds. I am carrying on his tradition and proud to do so. Thank you to all of you who have liked this award and thank you to all of you who disagree with some of my picks We can all learn from each other.

Kat

Reaction Score
Azzi was the superstar of the game, for sure, but if we're talking badass, then I'm going with Aaliyah, Nika, and Dorka (I can't choose just one.) This was a big Texas team but Juhasz and Edwards were more than a match for them. Whenever Nika walks on the court, she is the toughest player out there.

Carnac

Reaction Score
Let me say this about my friend Kibitzer. We live less then a mile from each other. We went to games together for years. We are both Veterans and would meet at the American Legion in Norwalk as he would say for a couple of belts and talk about the team and the games. He was a LT Coronel in the US Army. Back in the day he would make limerick signs that would rhyme with the recruits names in them that would come to the Supershow and we would bring them to the Supershow. They were signs much like the fans bring today only they had limericks on them. We had to stop after the NCAA 37 page NCAA violation filed by Tenn. This past Veterans Day Ceremony at the Norwalk City Hall was the first one missed by Kib. Mrs Kib was there though. Kib was a classic and when he got ill it was tuff to watch. Mrs Kib was by his side taking care of him. He came up with the Badass award for one player in each game that he thought had the best game and there were no seconds. I am carrying on his tradition and proud to do so. Thank you to all of you who have liked this award and thank you to all of you who disagree with some of my picks We can all learn from each other.
Tonyc, thank you for your service, and thank you for picking up the baton and continuing to perpetuate the BADDASS award that Kib started. You are a treasure and a very respected member of the boneyard. I always enjoy reading your posts/comments. You are by far the most positive and optimistic poster here.

You told us all summer what we would see once all the pieces came together, it did. You saw the light at the end of the tunnel and knew it wasn't a train. If you don't have hope, you have nothing. Thanks for helping us (UConn Nation) stay grounded and focused, to open our eyes and see that which is front of us if only we have the courage to believe. :)

Majic Hands

https://www.neumi.com/jkvetter
Reaction Score
Okey. From now on I'll follow the Kib's intent/guidelines.
Therefore, the BA of last night's game is AZZI!

The note I would like to add is that she "became" the BA during the course of the game. All the kids were working their butts off requiring the attention of the TX defence. No one was waiting for "a player" to take over.

Carnac

Reaction Score
Okey. From now on I'll follow the Kib's intent/guidelines.
Therefore, the BA of last night's game is AZZI!

The note I would like to add is that she "became" the BA during the course of the game. All the kids were working their butts off requiring the attention of the TX defence. No one was waiting for "a player" to take over.
Because I would like to see the yard be on the same page as much as possible, is why I shared the thought I did about the BA designation.

Here's an example of what I'm thinking. It the headline from Mike Anthony's column today in the CT Post:

Difference for UConn women's basketball team in win over Texas? Azzi Fudd's 'NBA performance' [LINK]

1668540286448.png

You and I would both agree that UConn's win last night was indeed a team effort, but Azzi's performance WAS THE DIFFERENCE.
Anthony named only one player, Azzi. He could have named 2-3 others, but he didn't. There are ALWAYS other players that have a part in a team's victory. Last night was no different. Azzi did not do it by herself, but she did most of the heavy lifting. Lou got us going early until Azzi warmed up.

There is usually one that stands out. THAT player (and it will vary from game to game) is the BADDASS. UConn won by 7 points. If Azzi scores 20, we lose. Her 32 kept Texas from coming from behind and ultimately cost them the game. Every time they tried to make a run, Azzi stopped it with a basket. In some cases a "clutch" basket with a defender in her face. That was the way most posters saw it.

Lou, Aaliyah, Nika or Aubrey could very well be the BA for Sunday's game with NC State. No doubt they will all play a role in the game, but only one will stand out from the crowd with an exceptional performance.

Being a nationally televised game, you can bet every team on UConn's and Texas' schedule was watching last night. The coaches if not the players, trying to do some advanced scouting. I'm so glad we have Azzi, and they don't. We needed to see her against a top 5 team to see what she's capable of. She showed us last night. Azzi is special. Thank goodness she chose UConn.

Always enjoy reading your comments Majic. :cool:

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Because I would like to see the yard be on the same page as much as possible, is why I shared the thought I did about the BA designation.

Here's an example of what I'm thinking. It the headline from Mike Anthony's column today in the CT Post:

Difference for UConn women's basketball team in win over Texas? Azzi Fudd's 'NBA performance' [LINK]

View attachment 80719
Great photo! Might be my wallpaper for a bit. :cool:

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Darkbloom

Top Bottom