Kibitzer Bad-Ass award - UCONN vs. Tulane | The Boneyard

Kibitzer Bad-Ass award - UCONN vs. Tulane

Who should be the Bad-Ass for this game??

• Gabby

• Kia

• Lou

• Crystal

• Azura

• Napheesa

• Megan

Results are only viewable after voting.

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
Ok this one was interesting - first off, total beatdown, and except for the unfortunate 4th quarter (not only did they out score us, but it was with their best player Colby Morgan on the bench), it was an incredible dominant game.

I watched the game and want to make some comments before voting commences. To me it comes down to 1 of 3 players but I will let you decide.

Gabby - not a triple double, but 13 pts, 9 assists, 7 boards, and 4 steals in only 20 minutes. She dominated the game as much as any individual player can, from everywhere on the court.

Kia - 14 pts, 4 assists, 7 boards, but by far her biggest accomplishment was holding Kolby Morgan to 0 points while guarding her. Morgan scored 2 points after Kia went out, but what a defensive accomplishment for her

Lou - 19 points, and she scored from everywhere on the court. On a day where her offense was not needed, I suspect Kia's defense or Gabby's all around incredible game will carry the day.

Shout out to Crystal (truly one of the best PG's in the nation), Stevens - what CAN'T she do?!!, and Megan - another really solid performance on both ends of the court - girl is coming into her own.

For the bench, I was thrilled to see Camara score a few baskets, and Coombs continues to look solid even if her "stats" aren't spectacular. The rest of the bench was just "meh"...

Reaction Score
Ok this one was interesting - first off, total beatdown, and except for the unfortunate 4th quarter (not only did they out score us, but it was with their best player Colby Morgan on the bench), it was an incredible dominant game.

I watched the game and want to make some comments before voting commences. To me it comes down to 1 of 3 players but I will let you decide.

Gabby - not a triple double, but 13 pts, 9 assists, 7 boards, and 4 steals in only 20 minutes. She dominated the game as much as any individual player can, from everywhere on the court.

Kia - 14 pts, 4 assists, 7 boards, but by far her biggest accomplishment was holding Kolby Morgan to 0 points while guarding her. Morgan scored 2 points after Kia went out, but what a defensive accomplishment for her

Lou - 19 points, and she scored from everywhere on the court. On a day where her offense was not needed, I suspect Kia's defense or Gabby's all around incredible game will carry the day.

Shout out to Crystal (truly one of the best PG's in the nation), Stevens - what CAN'T she do?!!, and Megan - another really solid performance on both ends of the court - girl is coming into her own.

For the bench, I was thrilled to see Camara score a few baskets, and Coombs continues to look solid even if her "stats" aren't spectacular. The rest of the bench was just "meh"...
7He

Batouly---Maybe not up the normal BA standards ---but WoW. I've been posting that she won't be ready this year---I have to take a deep breath and rethink that. Up to today, Batouly, honestly showed me nothing. To day she showed the reasons Geno accepted her. She may be hobbled by braces, or not!
:Her moves to the basket and scoring with at least 2 defenders on her--says a bunch:
She has TALENT. She is STRONG. She has a nose for the basket and she is mentally and physically tough. If she can do this in a game or two--I'd be saying : GENO found his 8th off "starter" and to me the world has a brighter outlook.

Real Bad Asses is a dual--Gabby and Kia--it's like separating Siamese Twins, you can do it--but it's usually a disaster.

Reaction Score
Gabby.

But when the tape is available, I'd like to see a couple of her inbound passes (after a Tulane basket) in the 3Q in which I thought (under my basket) that she threw the ball in after stepping over the line. Maybe I saw it wrong. But in a close game, it might be a concern.

MSGRET

MSG, US Army Retired
Reaction Score
Gabby.

But when the tape is available, I'd like to see a couple of her inbound passes (after a Tulane basket) in the 3Q in which I thought (under my basket) that she threw the ball in after stepping over the line. Maybe I saw it wrong. But in a close game, it might be a concern.
I thought it was just me, I also thought that.

MSGRET

MSG, US Army Retired
Reaction Score
I voted for Napheesa because I thought she had a great game, which was really nice to see. My real vote is for Gabby though, then Kia, then Pheesa.
You didn't want her to have a goose egg, understandable.

Golden Husky

The Midas Touch
Reaction Score
I'd give the bad buttocks trophy to Kia. She's become the Deion Sanders of women's college basketball, a shutdown corner who doesn't allow the opposing team's best guard to even catch the ball. After hounding USF's Latvian Launcher into 0-11 shooting she did about the same thing to the Tulane Trebuchet, Kolby Morgan. Another bagel, no cream cheese, no lox. And despite expending so much energy on defense, she again crushed it from beyond the arc and didn't turn over the ball. Those are All-America creds.

Biff

Mega Monster Moderator
Reaction Score
Gabby.

Just did a quick look. Although I don't doubt you saw something (and with the caveat that my DVR is acting haywire), in the 3Q while Gabby was on the floor, I think that Tulane only scored 1 field goal and Collier in-bounded the ball after that basket. (and did not step over the line before in-bounding). Was it at some other time?

I see that infraction or near infraction all the time and it always worries me that some critical time a ref will get all "rulesy" and call it. Stefanie was really close to infractions on in-bounding a lot.

Reaction Score
7He

Batouly---Maybe not up the normal BA standards ---but WoW. I've been posting that she won't be ready this year---I have to take a deep breath and rethink that. Up to today, Batouly, honestly showed me nothing. To day she showed the reasons Geno accepted her. She may be hobbled by braces, or not!
:Her moves to the basket and scoring with at least 2 defenders on her--says a bunch:
She has TALENT. She is STRONG. She has a nose for the basket and she is mentally and physically tough. If she can do this in a game or two--I'd be saying : GENO found his 8th off "starter" and to me the world has a brighter outlook.

Real Bad Asses is a dual--Gabby and Kia--it's like separating Siamese Twins, you can do it--but it's usually a disaster.

The eighth person, assuming that could even materialize, would have to be a guard. As much as you like her game, do you really think Geno would put two of Collier, Williams or Stevens on the bench in a meaningful game to give her minutes?! No coach in the country would do that unless there was major foul trouble. She’s only a sophomore; next year might work.

Reaction Score
The eighth person, assuming that could even materialize, would have to be a guard. As much as you like her game, do you really think Geno would put two of Collier, Williams or Stevens on the bench in a meaningful game to give her minutes?! No coach in the country would do that unless there was major foul trouble. She’s only a sophomore; next year might work.[/QUO
I suggest Uconn has on the bench Coombs guard, Molly Guard, and playing Danger--except Danger--which ones will Geno trust in a crunch? With Bigs who do you have---Batouly. It is what it is.
No one is suggesting any bench player should replace a STARTER (up to Z)--but counting Walker and Touly Geno has 8 to play--use them or lose them--no matter what he does it won't get much better.

I think you either miss the needs Uconn has or what I expected Uconn fans to know. The need for Uconn last year was another or 2,3 bigs. This year the need for Uconn is another Big or two. Uconn has Danger who needs back up--no doubt. But should Collier foul out (which she did a few times last year) or Azura foul out Uconn is in a world of hurt Without back up, in a big game, I'd go so far as to say Uconn loses.

Geno is working his magic on Coombs and Molly and Walker. No Walker is not a PG and the other two are questionable--but they can provide minutes (quality?) this is what Uconn has, it won't get better this year.

Batouly, is a big body, can fill space, can rebound, showed she can score---what was lacking in the FF last year, what was lacking against TX--Uconn came close to losing because TX controlled to boards.
Oft said you can't teach height (add width) .
This is the Team Geno has and the people to work with---any that step up and perform well in an on going basis--is an added blessing if that is Batouly --that's a plus. \

Reaction Score
Gabby.

Please ---Uconn players are so well trained--they never make a serious mistake like this--P--l--e-a-s-e!!
(see where my tongue is placed).

Reaction Score
Not a big fan of individual awards on a team sport but I get the dialog The Bad-Ass brings here. With no disrespect this was not the hardest competition they will face this year. Having said that what Gabby did in 20 minutes was big time getting it done.
Now I will go out on the limb of calling attention to a Bad-Ass play by Kia. Note the game replay supplied by MIL243. At around 48:17 Tene Thompson comes down with a rebound, so she thought, Kia immediately said "I'll take that thank you". That was a Bad-Ass play for sure. ;)

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
You cannot be the Bad Ass wearing a pony tail! Didn't Kia promise us last year never to do that again?

Ponytail.jpeg

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
Not a big fan of individual awards on a team sport but I get the dialog The Bad-Ass brings here. With no disrespect this was not the hardest competition they will face this year. Having said that what Gabby did in 20 minutes was big time getting it done.
Now I will go out on the limb of calling attention to a Bad-Ass play by Kia. Note the game replay supplied by MIL243. At around 48:17 Tene Thompson comes down with a rebound, so she thought, Kia immediately said "I'll take that thank you". That was a Bad-Ass play for sure. ;)
I liked that play too. It reminded me of the play 2 years ago in the national championship game vs Syracuse when Alexis Peterson tried to rip the ball away from Kia, and almost had her arm ripped out of the socket,

General rule of thumb. Don’t ever try to take a basketball away from Kia Nurse.

Golden Husky

The Midas Touch
Reaction Score
I liked that play too. It reminded me of the play 2 years ago in the national championship game vs Syracuse when Alexis Peterson tried to rip the ball away from Kia, and almost had her arm ripped out of the socket,

General rule of thumb. Don’t ever try to take a basketball away from Kia Nurse.
When opposing shooting guards awaken from their nightmares screaming in terror it was because they were dreaming of Kia.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WillngtnOak

Top Bottom