Kibitzer Bad-Ass award - UCONN vs. Tulane | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Kibitzer Bad-Ass award - UCONN vs. Tulane

Who should be the Bad-Ass for this game??

• Gabby

• Kia

• Lou

• Crystal

• Azura

• Napheesa

• Megan

Results are only viewable after voting.

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
Gabby almost had a triple double with only 20 minutes of playing, she gets my vote.
Yea, Williams. I didn't really think it was all that close.

Shorty Dee

Number 1 UConn fan
Reaction Score
My award goes to the seniors......Gabby and Kia. They heard Geno Auriemma when he said, and I am paraphrasing....the seniors need to take responsibility for the team, and how the season goes.
Gabby - Even though she was in pain, she played an awesome game. Her passing was superb today.
Kia - Her clamped down defense on Tulane's best shooter, was simply marvelous.

Reaction Score
Gabby? Love her, but ...

This game was really never much in doubt after the first quarter. In that quarter, Gabby missed a couple of bunnies (including a fast break layup that Lou put back). She was called for a charge crossing the lane on another fast break. I think she did not have a RB or a steal in the first quarter, maybe two assists, and four points (one of which included a nice wrap-around under the rim). [CORRECTIONAL EDIT: On checking 1Q stats, turns out Gabby had 1 RB, 1 steal, 3 assists, 2-4 FG, 1 foul and 1 TO.] By comparison, in the 1stQ, Phees had 3-3 FG, including a 3-pointer, 3 RB, 2 steals, 1 block, no fouls, no TO.] The line for the game, as b/t Gabby and Phees:

TOT-FG 3-PT REBOUNDS
## Player Name FG-FGA FG-FGA FT-FTA OF DE TOT PF Tyler Phommachanh A TO BLK S MIN
15 Williams,Gabby...... f 6-9 0-0 1-2 2 5 7 2 13 9 3 0 4 20
24 Collier,Napheesa.... f 6-6 1-1 0-0 0 6 6 2 13 3 3 2 5 28

There are, of course, intangibles as well as things not reflected in the above stats. But in my opinion, Phees was more effective than Gabby in the first quarter, and certainly no less effective throughout the rest of the game. I concede that the figures cannot reflect things like defensive pressure, disruptive presence, tipped passes, etc. And Gabby's 6 more assists translates into at least 12 points. All in 8 fewer minutes on the floor.

Make no mistake; Gabby played with heart. And she did amass the stats as the game wore on. (Pretty remarkable that even hampered by the obviously sore hip, she wasn't too far off from a triple double.) But was she the game's BA? Many think so. And who am I to argue?

I'd give it to the starting five.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
It was a beautifully played and executed game.
While Kia was just great holding their best player scoreless, this wild not have been anything resembling a close game even if she didn't completely shut down Kolby Morgan. In a close, competitive game I would give it to Kia.
Gabby was just superb in every aspect of the game.
Lou, Pheesa, CD, AZ and MW all played meaningful roles.
Hopefully this will carry over to next game, which I think they will win by at least 10-15 points.
Bronx23

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Darkbloom

Top Bottom