Kiah the Enigma | The Boneyard

Kiah the Enigma

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
I don't know that anyone will ever figure out Kiah Stokes. There seems to be no fire burning in her belly. She seems content to sit on the bench; otherwise, she'd be on the court. Looking at her she's an incredible physical specimen, but where's the drive? Say what you want about Stewie, but she plays hard and wants to improve. Morgan plays hard, too. I just don't get it. The enigma that is Kiah Stokes!

Biff

Mega Monster Moderator
Reaction Score
I don't know that anyone will ever figure out Kiah Stokes. There seems to be no fire burning in her belly. She seems content to sit on the bench; otherwise, she'd be on the court. Looking at her she's an incredible physical specimen, but where's the drive? Say what you want about Stewie, but she plays hard and wants to improve. Morgan plays hard, too. I just don't get it. The enigma that is Kiah Stokes!
How is it you know what is burning in her belly? How do you know she's not playing hard? You are making all kings of assumptions and speculations are you not?

Reaction Score
Well you have to wonder. This isn't the first time. All the freshmen are getting more time than Kiah lately. Sad to see her diminishing role.

VAMike23

The Virginian
Reaction Score
Might be that her shin is acting up again. Otherwise, as several mentioned in the game thread, it's a good idea to get Stewart as many minutes as possible.

Still, if Kiah is relatively healthy this week, you'd think she would get some sub minutes for Stef in the 2nd half at least. It may be Geno is sending another message. Perhaps the horde will inquire......

doggydaddy

Grampysorus Rex
Reaction Score
She has has a leg injury that she has been dealing with all season. Unless you know that her lack of time is not because of her leg, why put her down? Have you read something recently that explains her minutes?

msf22b

Maestro
Reaction Score
Have you read something recently that explains her minutes?

That's of course the problem Doggy, no information.
Neither any info on the short minutes of Morgan for Saturday and especially tonight. Her play and line seemed fine this eve; what did she get 11 minutes? (no, 10!)

Reaction Score
Might be that her shin is acting up again. Otherwise, as several mentioned in the game thread, it's a good idea to get Stewart as many minutes as possible.

Still, if Kiah is relatively healthy this week, you'd think she would get some sub minutes for Stef in the 2nd half at least. It may be Geno is sending another message. Perhaps the horde will inquire......

I agree that they needed to get Stewie some minutes, but Kaleena did not need to play the whole game in a 40 point blow out, and Bria did not deserve 36 minutes with her play tonight and against Baylor. I understand we only have 3 backcourt players but in a 40 point loss, I think you could go large to get Kiah and Morgan some more time.

DaddyChoc

Choc Full of UConn
Reaction Score
welp... its not the leg unless its causing her problems in practice

doggydaddy

Grampysorus Rex
Reaction Score
@NHRJimFuller: #UConn coach Geno Auriemma on why Kiah Stokes was a healthy scratch "I am trying to get minutes for the guys I think have earned it"
And this now makes some of the original post valid.

ThisJustIn

Queen of Queens
Reaction Score
Exactly. Rushing to judgement is fun, but often hurtful speculation full of assumptions. And you know what they say about assuming....

DaddyChoc

Choc Full of UConn
Reaction Score
just calling her an enigma is harmful... stop labeling these kids especially our own

sTu

Reaction Score
"but in a 40 point loss, I think you could go large to get Kiah and Morgan some more time."

Morgan (and Doty) were limited because of their leg issues. Least you were fifty percent.

Reaction Score
@NHRJimFuller: #UConn coach Geno Auriemma on why Kiah Stokes was a healthy scratch "I am trying to get minutes for the guys I think have earned it"
So we're back to the OP's question......what's preventing Kiah from getting her act together?

VAMike23

The Virginian
Reaction Score
just calling her an enigma is harmful... stop labeling these kids especially our own

Actually I think it's a very fair term to use in her case - I'm just not one to put it in the thread title as the OP did.

I'm rooting hard for Kiah (she's from just outside my hometown in Iowa, for God's sake!) but sometimes it's hard to gauge where she is in her overall progress. You hope that the light goes on and *stays* on with everybody, but not everyone has the mental makeup of a Kelly Faris or a Maya Moore to bring 110% all day, every day.

Still, she has shown what she can do, and with her physical talents she is never too far away from making a big contribution, even against talented opponents (EW). She's just got to........(wait for it).........want it more!!

::::::dons flameprotective suit:::::: :p

DaddyChoc

Choc Full of UConn
Reaction Score
I'm gonna say it again, they prefer getting Stewart rolling over Stokes. BStew's offense is very important going into March Madness

Reaction Score
"but in a 40 point loss, I think you could go large to get Kiah and Morgan some more time."

Morgan (and Doty) were limited because of their leg issues. Least you were fifty percent.

Leg seemed fine on the put back off KML's miss, but yeah didn't know she was limited because of the leg again. Didn't see an article about it, but did miss the first 10 minutes of the first half. Did the announcers say that she is limited or is it an assumption?

VAMike23

The Virginian
Reaction Score
I'm gonna say it again, they prefer getting Stewart rolling over Stokes. BStew's offense is very important going into March Madness

Totally agree, DC, but there were still minutes to be had, especially in the 2nd half, if GA had wanted to put her in.

DaddyChoc

Choc Full of UConn
Reaction Score
very true but we know Geno is a hard a** and he's gonna go all out to get his point across... my problem is that sometimes it could cause more damage

Reaction Score
I was hoping to find out why she has not played.. I have the game DVR-ed... But when I see this I am sad to see that people immediately jump to Kiah not trying. The last couple of games I have seen her in she has played well. My concern is more physical health. Could you imagine this team with a healthy Kiah, Bria, Brianna, and a Breanna who is back..... This team could be dangerous.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
Geno is obviously sending Kiah a message. Zero minutes in a 40-point win, when Heather gets 4 minutes, is a clear message. He listed Kiah by name last week in terms of not getting what they want/need. I know her offensive game is lacking in aggressiveness, but she usually makes contributions in rebounding and blocks. I hope she is close to meeting Geno's expectations in practice. We've seen what she can do. If she is on her game, she can really help us get over the hump against ND and Baylor.

Reaction Score
She has has a leg injury that she has been dealing with all season. Unless you know that her lack of time is not because of her leg, why put her down? Have you read something recently that explains her minutes?
Yes, Geno said tonight, "she did not earn playing time." Quote from John A of the Courant.

sTu

Reaction Score
"Did the announcers say that she is limited or is it an assumption? "

Heard it on the radio recap on ride home from the game.

Reaction Score
Stewarts' upside is much greater than Stokes'. If we're going to be a NC Stewart has to be a major contributor. It's important to get her extended playing time to build her confidence. I like Stokes' interior defense, but she is far short of Stewarts' offensive skills. This is the time of year when you trim your bench to 7 maybe 8 players and you ride those horses. I see MJ, BS, MT . KS gets spot minutes and I think she does well.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kemba123#

Top Bottom