Kiah Stokes waived by Liberty | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Kiah Stokes waived by Liberty

Reaction Score
I agree, I think the league could easily fit 1-2 more teams from a talent perspective.
If you really believe that, take the first eight players on each team and protect them. Then find two rosters from what remains and tell me that those two teams could beat the Indiana Fever, who currently have won two games. Best of luck.

Reaction Score

I would go with a team in 23 or 24 snd then another in 26. With the Bay and Toronto being the leading contenders, followed by Nash/Memphis, Louisville, and Portland.

Miami is a terrible idea.

I’m down on Charlotte bc it failed once but maybe with some ex-SoCar players ….
With the popularity of women college basketball in the Carolinas now I think it would be a good time to bring back the Sting.

W

wolfe613

Expansion is a horrible idea when teams lose money, relocation is more successful. Just ask the wings from Tulsa to Dallas, the Aces from San Antonio to Vegas. Fever would be my guess to move but nothing has suggested expansion is gonna help the league

Reaction Score

I would go with a team in 23 or 24 snd then another in 26. With the Bay and Toronto being the leading contenders, followed by Nash/Memphis, Louisville, and Portland.

I would like to see San Francisco and Toronto expansion in the next year or so.

Reaction Score
Stokes isn't the most versatile player but she has size and generally moved well inside when I saw her play, which has been a few years. There seems to be a lot of waivers this season as teams don't have to pay guaranteed contracts to players beyond June 30 but many of them are being signed to 7 day, short term deals to help fill out rosters.

I'm not sure if the WNBA is really expansion ready or not. I have a feeling rosters could be filled out but would the quality of play be high enough to gain interest from a community? Expansion has likely not happened because no ownership group has emerged in one of the mentioned markets. It's possible a team could relocate but I'm not sure the league is ready to take on two new teams or not.

Reaction Score
IMHO I think now is the time for the WNBA to expand say 2 teams' It should be an even number either 2 or 4 new teams to balance out the Divisions evenly already in play!
If you looked at the cuts after the last Draft in April there was a huge flock of talented college grads that didn't make the cut for a 12 person roster spot!
Very talented girls but just a shade below what level now exists!
It opens it up to Europe and Asian WBB to also get in the WNBA.
If the League had each team hold say 8 on their current roster and left approximately 4 available to be picked up by the New Teams, then have Free-agents not already in the League eligible to sign!
San Francisco, Nashville, Miami and Houston, as stated in the above article, for example, would be prime real estate for the new teams! That would add 48 new players to the League!
That wouldn't be over-kill, 48 talented WBB would be an easy fill!

Reaction Score
Four teams is WAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAY too many. Financially wouldnt work. And too much dilution of talent.

Pretty sure the league had an odd # of teams for a few years when it was contracting. Even number is nice, but team/league health are more important.

The Wubble and the NCAAT both got good ratings and there's been more high-profile talent like Ionescu, Paige. Next year's draft should be pretty deep. Seems like the right time for expansion.

Reaction Score
So back to the original topic. I don't believe in coincidences. So Seattle just waived Dupree saying they couldn't find a role and that it didn't work wanting Dupree to guard opponents big rather than Stewie doing it.... Now Stokes was also released and she shines at defense along with being a former UConn player who worked well at being Stewie's muscle... I wonder if we'll see a short term contract for Stokes at Seattle.....

Reaction Score
So back to the original topic. I don't believe in coincidences. So Seattle just waived Dupree saying they couldn't find a role and that it didn't work wanting Dupree to guard opponents big rather than Stewie doing it.... Now Stokes was also released and she shines at defense along with being a former UConn player who worked well at being Stewie's muscle... I wonder if we'll see a short term contract for Stokes at Seattle.....
Las Vegas just signed Kiah Stokes today.

Reaction Score
It looks like she was going to miss time if not the rest of the season because of personal problems.
Personal problems??? (you're suggesting Kiah has personal problems, which I don't see anyone alluding to beside you - a very unkind suggestion)
or
Personnel problems (as in the team has a lot of management issues to deal with as a function of league rules

My understanding is the former, which have nothing to do with Kiah's relationships with herself or others... Please, lets not get that rumor started that you suggest....

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
Las Vegas just signed Kiah Stokes today.
Best news I’ve heard today. I’m too big a Kiah Stokes fan not to be happy about this news. :D I’m happy for her, and hope that this change of venue will resurrect her WNBA career. Read the room Kiah and make it happen.

Reaction Score
Four teams is WAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAY too many. Financially wouldnt work. And too much dilution of talent.

Pretty sure the league had an odd # of teams for a few years when it was contracting. Even number is nice, but team/league health are more important.

The Wubble and the NCAAT both got good ratings and there's been more high-profile talent like Ionescu, Paige. Next year's draft should be pretty deep. Seems like the right time for expansion.
I agree with you Vowelguy, 4 teams would be too many but 2, say San Francisco to the West and Nashville say to the East would be a good fit!

Reaction Score
I would like to see expansion too, otherwise so many players will lose their job and dream.
BTW, how many huskies in the league now? 10%?

Reaction Score
IMHO I think now is the time for the WNBA to expand say 2 teams' It should be an even number either 2 or 4 new teams to balance out the Divisions evenly already in play!
If you looked at the cuts after the last Draft in April there was a huge flock of talented college grads that didn't make the cut for a 12 person roster spot!
Very talented girls but just a shade below what level now exists!
It opens it up to Europe and Asian WBB to also get in the WNBA.
If the League had each team hold say 8 on their current roster and left approximately 4 available to be picked up by the New Teams, then have Free-agents not already in the League eligible to sign!
San Francisco, Nashville, Miami and Houston, as stated in the above article, for example, would be prime real estate for the new teams! That would add 48 new players to the League!
That wouldn't be over-kill, 48 talented WBB would be an easy fill!
Easy fill. Really? Care to name names. I see a 12-team league right now that struggles to find eight people on a team who can play at a professional level. The Liberty, which is my local team, has trouble finding seven. The Fever has trouble finding five. Productive play on the college level does not automatically cross over into Pro basketball. Now if they could get the top International players into the league, that would change overnight, but they are reluctant to spend 12 months a year playing basketball when the pay and working conditions in the WNBA are so far inferior.

Bald Husky

four score
Reaction Score
A 2 team expansion should be in the works fairly soon. If you look at some of these rosters, there is alot of great CBB talent that can't get on the floor, as well as some rosters that have more talent than they need. There is an abundant of High School talent coming out every year, and after their college careers are done they need a place to go. Traditionally an expansion team isn't very good, but I believe it would be a little different in this league. These young kids are better than ever, and the chance to see more of them on a professional level will make the league prosper, with more fans following more hometown kids, and venturing into areas of the country who don't even follow the NBA because of non-local interest. North Carolina, Tennessee, the west coast are hotbeds of WCBB, so as they finally did in Connecticut, give then a chance to succeed. As a former player on the Sting team, maybe Dawn would offer to coach the team, and possibly invest in a new franchise. ( with Geno) ?

Reaction Score
Don't everybody sleep on Toronto for an expansion team. Bball is popular in the lower Ontario peninsula and the marketing associated for a professional Canadian team could make money across the country.

JoePgh

Cranky pants and wise acre
Reaction Score
So she was dropped by the #7 team and picked up by the current #1 team a couple days later? Sounds like she got a promotion!
But it makes perfect business sense for both teams. It is similar to the situation that occurs in Major League Baseball every August where teams that are out of contention, but have a few older, higher-paid stars on their roster, will trade them to contending teams for some minor league prospects or draft choices.

For the out-of-contention team, it means that they get younger players to rebuild into a contending roster in a few years. For contending teams, it means that they get experienced, capable players to fill a short-term need and possibly add the crucial element to win a championship in the current year.

Reaction Score
W

When you look at how difficult it has become for college players to make rosters and last, I think the quality is there to support a team or two. The only question are the finances around getting an expansion team to survive.

And the northeast is chop suey?

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom