Kiah Stokes - Defense | The Boneyard

Kiah Stokes - Defense

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Just would like other people's perspective- from what I've seen from Stokes - she is the greatest defensive player in UCONN History (defensive rebounding is part of defense) and possibly the greatest defensive rebounder in UCONN History. OFC have to see how rest of season plays out.

Refs and players alike give her the ultimate respect as well. I get a bit giddy when she enters the game; blocking a shot, intimidation, or outstanding rebounding in particular in traffic---- is forthcoming-- but QUICKLY.

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
Whenever you start throwing around labels like "greatest ever", others will usually be quick to point out flaws, or whatever. I think Kelly Faris was one of the greatest for her size (Ashley Battle too), and as a 1 on 1 defender. Kiah is right up there for a big girl - athleticism, great timing, and footwork on defense. As Geno said in the Geno show, she's ALWAYS been confident in her ability to defend. It's her offense that's lacked confidence.

It's hard to compare because she's not been a starter, really ever, and it looks like she won't end her career as a starter. So my point is she's not getting 30+ MPG for people to do a true comparison to other UCONN greats. Right now Kia is only averaging about 20 MPG. If you compared her stats for "40 minutes" against other UCONN greats, I agree defensively her numbers would be right up there.

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
Don't forget Nykesha Sales. IIRC, she holds the UConn steals record, men or women.

Last edited:

DobbsRover2

Slap me 10
Reaction Score
But also on the mpg question, part of Kiah being so good when she's in there is that she can remain fresher and stronger in her more limited time on the court. And maybe there's also pressure on the opponent to push too hard when she's not in there, because they know when she returns the basket is closed for all further business.

Tina was also a dominator in her later years, but she needed to be out there for maybe 36 grueling minutes in big games, plus she had to put a lot of attention and energy into role as an offensive force.

The last game of her UConn career was a bit different, when I believe the Husky strategy was for Tina to focus much of her attention on a hobbled but still dangerous Jayne Appel and allow Maya, Tiff, Kalana, CD and a more potent Husky squad get the better of Nneka Ogwumike and Card squad. Tina had 6 blocks and held Appel scoreless on 0-12 shooting, though her own shooting was only 4-13 in the battle of the outstanding giants. That D along with 11 rebounds keyed the UConn 2nd half comeback.

Reaction Score
Whenever you start throwing around labels like "greatest ever", others will usually be quick to point out flaws, or whatever. I think Kelly Faris was one of the greatest for her size (Ashley Battle too), and as a 1 on 1 defender. Kiah is right up there for a big girl - athleticism, great timing, and footwork on defense. As Geno said in the Geno show, she's ALWAYS been confident in her ability to defend. It's her offense that's lacked confidence.

It's hard to compare because she's not been a starter, really ever, and it looks like she won't end her career as a starter. So my point is she's not getting 30+ MPG for people to do a true comparison to other UCONN greats. Right now Kia is only averaging about 20 MPG. If you compared her stats for "40 minutes" against other UCONN greats, I agree defensively her numbers would be right up there.

How about Lorin Dixon? Another of my favorite defenders was Tamika Williams; inside, outside, she could do it all.

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leepaul