Kiah is 2nd in Voting for WNBA 6th Women of the Year | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Kiah is 2nd in Voting for WNBA 6th Women of the Year

Status
Not open for further replies.

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
I am not a 'fan' of either team, though am a fan of Kiah's after watching her closely at Uconn for 4 years. I'll make two more points:

1. Evaluating bench players against starters is always difficult, even if they end up with similar playing time. Starters play the majority of their minutes against the starters on the opposing team, while bench players spend more of their minutes against the second string players. This effects every statistical category, both old school and 'advanced'. Examples - Playing 20 minutes against Griner is going to look statistically different than playing 10 minutes against Griner and 10 minutes against Cayla Francis - same if it is Maya and _____, or Catchings and ______. And it isn't just the one on one match up, nor offensive stats, but the whole package that the 5 person unit of starters presents.

2. Evaluating bench players against other bench players as the sixth man award tries to do, is also very difficult - typically they are not starters because there is a flaw in their game when compared to the starters. In Kiah's case, her offensive skills are not as developed, I gather in Quigley's, it is defense. And because they are both bench players, their coaches are choosing the minutes they play specifically to cater to their particular strengths and to some degree to prevent their deficiencies from being exposed. If they were playing on the same team you might even see them being substituted for each other in the late stages of a game Quigley for offense and Kiah to get a defensive stop. Comparing Kiah's offense to Quigley's is futile - Kiah shoots on average once every 5.8 minutes of playing time, Quigley once every 3.3 minutes, Kiah is scoring a significant amount of her baskets on offensive put-back lay-ups, Quigley primarily as a jump shooter - half of her shots being 3 pointers. Likewise comparing defensive stats is futile - Kiah is defending within 10 feet of the basket and Quigley is defending at the three point line.

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
Grrrr....four Big East alums and one SEC alum. I've moved on from the raid of the Big East but seeing that stuff still makes me irritable.

#BigEastBestLeagueEver

JRRRJ

Chief Didacticist
Reaction Score
Grrrr....four Big East alums and one SEC alum. I've moved on from the raid of the Big East but seeing that stuff still makes me irritable.

#BigEastBestLeagueEver

So...not over it yet. ;^)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member