Kiah article from Iowa | The Boneyard

Kiah article from Iowa

Status
Not open for further replies.

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
The article includes quotes from dad Greg who appears to agree with Geno's assessments on Kiah's effort level earlier in the season.

For Stokes, March Madness extends into April

Thanks for posting this - I think Uconn is good at recruiting parents as well as players! We have had some really great parents over the years become part of the Huskies family.

Olde Coach

Rip, Olde Coach
Reaction Score
The article includes quotes from dad Greg who appears to agree with Geno's assessments on Kiah's effort level earlier in the season.

For Stokes, March Madness extends into April

It will be interesting to see how good Kiah will be next year. With the addition of Stewart and Tuck, (who are forwards more than centers, but can play in the post)
earning minutes anywhere on the front line will be a competitive endeavor.

I hope Kiah comes into next season very strong, fit and confident. She has great natural gifts; but to be a significant contributor next year and beyond, she needs to have a Tina Charles evolution into a competitive "beast" on the court -- while remaining a sweetheart off the court.

I'm rooting for her.

Reaction Score
I had emailed Voepel with the idea of doing an article about Stokes, Greenfield, and Wright. Three best players out of Iowa last year. All committed to teams that went to the F4 last year and made it back this year. Iowa has a strong history, but not so sure a lot lately. Thought it would be interesting to chronicle their transition. Voepel seemed like a good candidate with her B12 territory experience.

RadyLady

The Glass is Half Full
Reaction Score
It will be interesting to see how good Kiah will be next year. With the addition of Stewart and Tuck, (who are forwards more than centers, but can play in the post)
earning minutes anywhere on the front line will be a competitive endeavor.

I hope Kiah comes into next season very strong, fit and confident. She has great natural gifts; but to be a significant contributor next year and beyond, she needs to have a Tina Charles evolution into a competitive "beast" on the court -- while remaining a sweetheart off the court.

I'm rooting for her.
me, too.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
Kiah's teammates are rightfully envious of her body, which was made for basketball: Long and lean but not skinny. With added stamina and confidence, she could be very, very good. She should learn some things from Breanna and Morgan as well as from the coaches. I hope Kiah has a great weekend.

VAMike23

The Virginian
Reaction Score
Kiah's teammates are rightfully envious of her body, which was made for basketball: Long and lean but not skinny. With added stamina and confidence, she could be very, very good. She should learn some things from Breanna and Morgan as well as from the coaches. I hope Kiah has a great weekend.

She is also broad across the shoulders, and strong for a frosh. Great physical tools for playing underneath, blocking shots, getting boards, etc. All that's been missing is that consistently "high motor" that the NFL scouts love to talk about. However her motor has definitely improved, and she is getting to where the coaches want her to be. Shown great flashes and lately some pretty steady play, even in those games where Geno yanks her, IMO.

What a front line we could have in the next few years. Great God almighty.

Reaction Score
"Kiah averages 4.5 points and 4.5 rebounds in 13.3 minutes per game. She is second on the team in blocks (48)."

Converting these to a forty minute game that's about 14 points and 14 rebounds per game. Most post players would be pretty happy with that.

alexrgct

RIP, Alex
Reaction Score
I think Kiah will be a very significant bench contributor for the next two seasons and give us as enviable a situation in terms of post depth as any team in the land.

As a senior, she will start with classmate KML on what projects to be a VERY strong, experienced, and upperclasswoman-laden squad.

msf22b

Maestro
Reaction Score
I like Kiah's defense and especially her rebounding. In that area she is getting pretty fierce.It's coming. Patience!

UConnCat

Wise Woman
Reaction Score
I was at the game Tues night in Kingston and after not seeing much of Kiah in the 1st half (I don't recall if she played at all) I mentioned to the person sitting next to me that Geno must have seen something in Kiah's body language to suggest to him that she might not be ready for the pressure of Kentucky's defense or the game itself. Sure enough, in his post-game presser Geno said that while Kiah did some good things defensively and rebounding she didn't appear to want any part of the ball on offense. This is something that fans often don't appreciate. Geno and the coaches can tell in the days or hours leading up to a big game if a player is nervous or not ready for the pressure of the game. I sure hope Kiah has the confidence and calmness to play against Notre Dame tomorrow night because I think the team will need her to play and play well.

pap49cba

The Supreme Linkster
Reaction Score
I was at the game Tues night in Kingston and after not seeing much of Kiah in the 1st half (I don't recall if she played at all) I mentioned to the person sitting next to me that Geno must have seen something in Kiah's body language to suggest to him that she might not be ready for the pressure of Kentucky's defense or the game itself. Sure enough, in his post-game presser Geno said that while Kiah did some good things defensively and rebounding she didn't appear to want any part of the ball on offense. This is something that fans often don't appreciate. Geno and the coaches can tell in the days or hours leading up to a big game if a player is nervous or not ready for the pressure of the game. I sure hope Kiah has the confidence and calmness to play against Notre Dame tomorrow night because I think the team will need her to play and play well.
+1 Yep, over the course of the season Geno often mentions a player's body language or mind-set during shoot around. The coaches can tell when a player is ready.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
I think Kiah was not ready for Kentucky's pressure defense and how we were attacking it. She has seen ND three times this year, so I expect her to have a higher comfort level. Go Kiah!

Reaction Score
I think Kiah will be a very significant bench contributor for the next two seasons and give us as enviable a situation in terms of post depth as any team in the land...

Barring injury, Geno would have the unaccustomed luxury next season of having 2 post players out of {Stef, Kiah, Breanna} on the floor the entire game!

Under that scenario they could each be averaging about 27 minutes a game.

DaddyChoc

Choc Full of UConn
Reaction Score
being at the top of the full-court press isnt a easy task... I applaud Kiah!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WillngtnOak

Top Bottom