Kia will Play Saturday vs Memphis or Tulsa [merged thread] | The Boneyard

Kia will Play Saturday vs Memphis or Tulsa [merged thread]

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
That is such great news in so many ways. Geno and the staff know there is no way they'd bring her back unless she was at 100%. Plus this will give her some time to get her "sea legs" back against lesser competition and give plenty of time for the entire team to be at 100% for the NCAA's...

BigBird

Et In Hoc Signo Vinces
Reaction Score
... Geno and the staff know there is no way they'd bring her back unless she was at 100%....

Maybe yes, maybe no. Kids play with knots and bruises all the time. I doubt she is 100%, and I suspect she isn't going to be 100% until some time after the NCAA tourney. Where I might agree is that no coach at UConn will ask our players to risk additional injury or permanent physical damage. Like you Eric, I trust our coaches and players. But 100% might be a bit much to hope for at this point. The "limited minutes" bit tells us that much. She's going to play somewhat hurt and try her best not to get hurt worse.

Reaction Score
I say rest her till she is needed. We don't need another Coates situation.

Reaction Score
Realistically, Kia isn't needed until the Eastern Regionals, which are March 26. If she tweaks her ankle again tomorrow, she has >3 weeks to recover.

Reaction Score
Realistically, Kia isn't needed until the Eastern Regionals, which are March 26. If she tweaks her ankle again tomorrow, she has >3 weeks to recover.
I believe she'll have that ankle securely taped--and retaped and darn near immovable. While she need to keep her foot and head into the game to not lose her edge--I'm all for very limited minutes----Great to build up confidence for Danger --and full recovery for Kia --win-win --win (the last one is for me getting the best for both)...

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
Maybe yes, maybe no. Kids play with knots and bruises all the time. I doubt she is 100%, and I suspect she isn't going to be 100% until some time after the NCAA tourney. Where I might agree is that no coach at UConn will ask our players to risk additional injury or permanent physical damage. Like you Eric, I trust our coaches and players. But 100% might be a bit much to hope for at this point. The "limited minutes" bit tells us that much. She's going to play somewhat hurt and try her best not to get hurt worse.
There is a difference between 'the stress reaction is 100% healed' and the player is 100%. It will take time for Kia to get back in shape and for her foot to regain the strength it will have lost from being immobilized in the walking boot.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
I have to believe that the coaches and the medical staff are comfortable that Kia has sufficiently recovered to the point where playing her tomorrow will not result in a setback, or they wouldn't risk playing her.

Everyone is different, but Kia has essentially gone through the same protocol as Danger, who is playing her best basketball of the season right now.

It's all good.

Reaction Score
I can't say I'm not excited to see her back :cool: I just hope that her ankle is well and that she feels completely comfortable playing. We might not 'need' her -- though I do think this team always needs her in some capacity -- right now, but we're going to need her later.

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
His head was badly bruised where the hockey puck hit it.

Every time the camera showed her during the last 4 games, she did not look happy, especially the last game against USF. I doubt she's 100%, so I suspect they'll ease her back like they eased back Danger after she was out for a while, as others have suggested with limited minutes. Danger should still get a lot of minutes these next 3 games. It's great to have her back!!!

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
Every time the camera showed her during the last 4 games, she did not look happy, especially the last game against USF. I doubt she's 100%, so I suspect they'll ease her back like they eased back Danger after she was out for a while, as others have suggested with limited minutes. Danger should still get a lot of minutes these next 3 games. It's great to have her back!!!
I think she was VERY frustrated about not playing.

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
I can't say I'm not excited to see her back :cool: I just hope that her ankle is well and that she feels completely comfortable playing. We might not 'need' her -- though I do think this team always needs her in some capacity -- right now, but we're going to need her later.

I just have one concern. I'll call it my Samuelson Syndrome concern. Earlier in the year Lou was sick but played through it. Later in an interview she said words to the effect: If I don't tell them (the coaches) they can't sit me. Remember that? I just hope Kia isn't doing that and won't in the game.

cabbie191

Jonathan Husky on a date with Holi
Reaction Score
Maybe yes, maybe no. Kids play with knots and bruises all the time. I doubt she is 100%, and I suspect she isn't going to be 100% until some time after the NCAA tourney. .

Very well may be true. But I'd take a 90% Kia over most any other 100% player on any other team. What she brings to the team equally important to her physical skills is BB IQ and that part won't be affected by her injury. She helps the team operate correctly on all cylinders.

Reaction Score
That is such great news in so many ways. Geno and the staff know there is no way they'd bring her back unless she was at 100%. Plus this will give her some time to get her "sea legs" back against lesser competition and give plenty of time for the entire team to be at 100% for the NCAA's...
I agree with needing "sea legs" and getting mentally back into the swing of things--The staff, in my memory, rarely waits for 100 percent especially this far into the season. I doubt they'd risk further injury, but UConn kids are asked all the time to play with pain. Geno and Medical have opted at times for partial recovery--allowing the off season to do the rest.

Reaction Score
I just have one concern. I'll call it my Samuelson Syndrome concern. Earlier in the year Lou was sick but played through it. Later in an interview she said words to the effect: If I don't tell them (the coaches) they can't sit me. Remember that? I just hope Kia isn't doing that and won't in the game.
There is the : Coaches expect the kids to play with pain and ankle issues are regularly taped and sent back in---I doubt Geno would risk REAL injury --but if past history is an indicator of future conduct--UConn Women have played many "injured" players--stress fractures (a fracture is a break, however thin), so this is more than a sprain. I'd opt for very very few minutes---enough to get Kia's brain back in BB gear.

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
There is the : Coaches expect the kids to play with pain and ankle issues are regularly taped and sent back in---I doubt Geno would risk REAL injury --but if past history is an indicator of future conduct--UConn Women have played many "injured" players--stress fractures (a fracture is a break, however thin), so this is more than a sprain. I'd opt for very very few minutes---enough to get Kia's brain back in BB gear.

The ultimate example of this could be Stef hobbling through the NCAA tourney.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CJasmer

Top Bottom