Kia to Start over Saniya on Sunday | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Kia to Start over Saniya on Sunday

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Geno said that Chong "is still a good player"
and will play the same amount of minutes.
And the point is?
Chong actually played good defense at the begining of the game and for most of the first half. I've watched the game twice..please tell me beside a charging foul, she picked up, did Nurse do defensively beside foul out?
I'm not saying that this wasn't going to eventually happen, I question the timing.

Reaction Score
There are plenty of minutes for the two bench players in a seven player rotation, so chemistry and match ups are factors. I like Tuck off the bench, though, because of her versatility.

Reaction Score
The kid with the highest shooting percentage and third in scoring is getting benched when a majority of the starters played poor defense the other night! Chong's finally going to the basket, her confidence is building ...what a time to sit her!
Ossining...welcome to the BY! I haven't noticed posts from you before as my time on the board has been limited of late.

The welcome over...don't worry about your home town girl. When I hear "what a time to sit her" I construe that as a form of punishment. That is not the case here. She will be fine and get her minutes. Geno regularly does this, tweaks the starting lineup during the early part of the season to see what combinations work. Anyway, itt isn't about who starts, it is about who is in the game during crunch time. As long as Saniya does what she needs to do in practice and game minutes, she will play plenty.

So many people get upset over starting roles. There are 12 players and only 5 can start. UConn has at least 7 that are capable of starting, two of them have to wait to get into the game. It isn't any kind of slight, try not to see it as such. Some of UConn's best players have played the sixth or seventh "man" role during their careers. Having a player come into the game who changes the pace and provides instant offense is a tremendous plus and many prior players have embraced that role. Hopefully Saniya is that type of player.

Reaction Score
according to a tweet from John A
I don't understand this move. He might as well bench the whole team if he wants more defense. Yes, Kia is an aggressive player, but what does that mean? More fouls?

Reaction Score
I certainly hope Saniya isn't disappearing back into the bench like she did last year. She's much too productive for that.

Reaction Score
I don't understand this move. He might as well bench the whole team if he wants more defense. Yes, Kia is an aggressive player, but what does that mean? More fouls?

I continue to be amazed by some posters regarding Geno starting Kia because of her defensive ability. He wants to win by having the best defense first. Then add in the offense. You can have an off night shooting but great defense always shows up. Those same posters who are so worried about defending Saniya are the same ones who already made Stokes DPOY, KML an AA, MoJett the best guard in the country, and wondered if UCONN's first loss would be before Samuelson graduated.

This team has yet to define itself and build its team chemistry. Geno is working on the right mix. Meanwhile the BY has to accept that this team is probably not going to go undefeated the rest of the season and that Geno will make decisions that don't take into account the brilliance of some of our posters. Hopefully though UCONN doesn't fire him as he tries to build a winning team.

Reaction Score
I might be suffering a memory lapse but I thought I read recently that the reason for the change was to match up Tuck with Nurse and Stokes with Chong to balance the scoring of those two pairs. Which would mean that Tuck will also be starting. We'll find out soon enough.

Kibitzer

Sky Soldier
Reaction Score
Chong is a soph and has been around the block a bit. Her defensive presence is so non- existent --- it is a huge liability. Easy transition baskets, or constant blow by's take the heart out of a team. We've been doing this to everyone else in our double digit wins. If we score 70+, we are supposed to win! We scored almost 90 and lost.

The bolded portion of the above quoted post is simply not true.

If anyone suggests that Nurse appears to be a better defender than Chong, I will agree -- and I have, noting that she is taller and quicker. Nurse is also more aggressive, which is a positive trait unless it gets you five fouls in 20 minutes.

Thus far, Chong appears to be a better shooter than Nurse.

Note use of "appears" in my comments, since they are based on only two games. I like to think that Nurse will quit running into people and that Chong will become a better defender -- or that Nurse will become a deadly shooter.

Or that the bb rules will be changed to resemble football (offense and defense on the field separately) or baseball (some provision for a DS (Designated Shooter)). Ain't gonna happen.

Sluconn Husky

#1 Source of Info
Reaction Score
According to the Bob Joyce piece posted elsewhere, Geno said Saniya was responsible for 30 Stanford points defensively. Now, we know he likes to exaggerate to make a point, but I think that point is clear. OTOH, no word on how many points KML was responsible for.

Reaction Score
Chapette, Thanks for the welcome. Actually I was on a couple of times last year. Rather read then write. I here what your saying..however if Chong is a liabiity on defense why would you play her the same amount of time?
Chong isn't the biggest problem of the starting five. Enough said ...Go Huskies!

Geno-ista

Embracing the New Look!!!
Reaction Score
I think back to the Stanford NC game of 2010. when we started the game shooting 5 for 35, and were still less than 10 points behind..... it was because of our great defense.that we were able to weather the storm.....and eventually win..... defense is vital and of primary concern. i am glad for the addition of her defense

but of course, we need to improve the offense.... and will miss Saniya's shot.... at least we will get it off the bench..... ala vinnie johnson..
What almost terrifies me is- our real strength has always been team defense. And they way they/the officials are starting out again with these touch fouls, it may be a death knell for our "dynasty"- I'm serious. The funny thing is, they try to protect the guards with the ball to a fault. and then they let the dominant post players get mauled. It happenned to Griner. It was happenning to Stewie the other night. There is an unconsciousness to officiating sometimes. Because, I understand that they are human also, it is hard to understand. The officials really determine the type of game that will be played, and one team will usually benefit as a result. I am not saying we lost this game because of officiating. This move to improve scoring by the officials, I think will hurt UConn alot in the future- I fear. The sky is not falling- just a casual observation.

Geno-ista

Reaction Score
According to the Bob Joyce piece posted elsewhere, Geno said Saniya was responsible for 30 Stanford points defensively. Now, we know he likes to exaggerate to make a point, but I think that point is clear. OTOH, no word on how many points KML was responsible for.
On defense Re Saniya, I watched the game a few times already. It was as if it was 5 on 4. Hartley was not only quick and aggressive, but she played so long also. They played Saniya like she wasn't on the floor. We may have just faced the best guard combo in college also- possibly.

Reaction Score
Geno-ista said:
The sky is not falling

Hopefully the loss is like a meteorite that makes a big show as it comes through the atmosphere and attracts a lot of attention but then burns itself up and leaves no trace of its prior existence.

easttexastrash

Stay Classy!
Reaction Score
It is too bad that Geno didn't start Nurse in the first game. Had he done that all of the talk would have been about how good Nurse is and virtually no talk about how Chong is being slighted.

Nurse is clearly a better player than Chong, IMO. And she will be the leader on the court, even as a freshman. Stewart is a great player but is also very unassuming and seems to prefer to just play and not be the team leader vocally.

Tuck also seems to have the willingness to lead on the court, which is why I think she will start soon. Stokes still seems to be lacking in confidence.

easttexastrash

Stay Classy!
Reaction Score
Hopefully the loss is like a meteorite that makes a big show as it comes through the atmosphere and attracts a lot of attention but then burns itself up and leaves no trace of its prior existence.

That sums it up perfectly. Well said.

Reaction Score

Hopefully. But there a still a couple of very interesting games (ND and SC) ahead in the near future and a couple new meteorites could be heading this way again..

Reaction Score
This is disappointing for Saniya but not surprising - many of us predicted Kia would be the starting 2 guard, if not at the start of the season, certainly by the end. Apparently Geno feels she's that much better than Saniya already. I knew Kia would be a star for UCONN.

Certainly beyond her years in BBIQ, intelligence, defense, etc. I hope she has "room to grow" and is not close to reaching the peak of her skills/abilities. She's already so terrific - I know she certainly can improve on her 3 point shooting.

ERIC: Don't see this one quite the way you do, and that is unusual. Thus far, I haven't seen a lot to support the notion that Coach thinks Nurse if "much better" than Chong already, except on defense. Seems like not a better shooter at this point and putting the ball in the basket is pretty important......thus the name, "basket ball."

Of course I do agree with you on your list of Nurse's abilities and her room to grow. But, thus far, I am not as enthused as some. Speaking of "enthused," I do love her apparent enthusiasm. BUt, I've never seen her shoot really well (including some footage of Canada, the two EX games, etc). Yes, I know she is barely out of high school, but so was Saniya when she lit it up in her early games here. Other than the first EX game where I was ecstatic about the way she was part of zipping the ball around (at least I think she was....I know the starters were really zipping it that game), I'm not convinced yet she is ready to be reliable in that regard. Some of you know I have a strong bias against a player hanging on to the ball, dribbling too much, etc. I.love to see crisp and serial passes, and we often excel at that as a team. Seems to me that she runs into a lot of people at this point; I haven't seen enough yet to be convinced that she is already a smart defender, though she is known to be an aggressive one. I'm VERY glad she is at UCONN, have very high hopes for her career, see the good things that you see., and am very impressed that Coach already sees her as a star in the making. Just a little cautious about putting an AA label on her just yet.

Geno-ista

Reaction Score
It is too bad that Geno didn't start Nurse in the first game. Had he done that all of the talk would have been about how good Nurse is and virtually no talk about how Chong is being slighted.

Nurse is clearly a better player than Chong, IMO. And she will be the leader on the court, even as a freshman. Stewart is a great player but is also very unassuming and seems to prefer to just play and not be the team leader vocally.

Tuck also seems to have the willingness to lead on the court, which is why I think she will start soon. Stokes still seems to be lacking in confidence.
You hit the nail on the head East Tex, in a very few words. Some of our girls looked nervous and there was almost panic or fear in their eyes.
This will chg quick. Nurse has a swagger. Tuck does not get rattled - ever. Even as a freshman in big situations. She has a calm about her. Chong didn't look rattled, I like her game face, she just needs work on defense. Kiah's game face looks tentative at best, and a bit nervous all the time- it manifests itself on the offensive end, which is the weaker part of her game. She is making huge strides at the low post. Impressive lightning quick powerful moves to the hoop compared to last season.

Reaction Score
The kid with the highest shooting percentage and third in scoring is getting benched when a majority of the starters played poor defense the other night! Chong's finally going to the basket, her confidence is building ...what a time to sit her!

OSS: Understand how you are feeling. At the same time, most readers probably understand why Coach sees the need to try to beef up the defense post-Stanford. How and when and with whom are part of the fodder of a sports forum.
My main concern in all this right now is the confidence issue that you raise, given what Chong went thru last year, though I've drawn no conclusions in that regard and have high hopes that it will not become a problem. Can't be easy, though, to set your career high and then find your butt on the bench, especially when she was not forcing shots.

Kibitzer

Sky Soldier
Reaction Score

Rebecca Lobo: "Worst post player in the country."

Jamelle Elliott: "Can't jump over the Storrs phonebook."

Sue Bird (among others): "Can't guard a chair."

Good thing he never coached Larry Bird. Something like: "Immobile on defense. Proof that White Men Can't Jump."

Geno-ista

Reaction Score
ERIC: Don't see this one quite the way you do, and that is unusual. Thus far, I haven't seen a lot to support the notion that Coach thinks Nurse if "much better" than Chong already, except on defense. Seems like not a better shooter at this point and putting the ball in the basket is pretty important.thus the name, "basket ball."

Of course I do agree with you on your list of Nurse's abilities and her room to grow. But, thus far, I am not as enthused as some. Speaking of "enthused," I do love her apparent enthusiasm. BUt, I've never seen her shoot really well (including some footage of Canada, the two EX games, etc). Yes, I know she is barely out of high school, but so was Saniya when she lit it up in her early games here. Other than the first EX game where I was ecstatic about the way she was part of zipping the ball around (at least I think she was....I know the starters were really zipping it that game), I'm not convinced yet she is ready to be reliable in that regard. Some of you know I have a strong bias against a player hanging on to the ball, dribbling too much, etc. I.love to see crisp and serial passes, and we often excel at that as a team. Seems to me that she runs into a lot of people at this point; I haven't seen enough yet to be convinced that she is already a smart defender, though she is known to be an aggressive one. I'm VERY glad she is at UCONN, have very high hopes for her career, see the good things that you see., and am very impressed that Coach already sees her as a star in the making. Just a little cautious about putting an AA label on her just yet.
all great points win---- but she has a swagger about her. She doesn't panic. She enjoys the physical contact. There is no fear. Cool as a cucumber. You know who Nurse reminds me of, personality- wise, Caroline Doty. She has a grit and cockiness as a freshman that Caroline also had. And I was equally impressed with Chong draining big shots consistently in a close game, in a hostile environment on the road.
These were huge positives to take away from this game. The stupid fouls will stop. The amt of really bad decisions that were made will stop also. Team defense is the big concern for me right now-especially against phenomenal guard play- of which Stanford has 2, and the freshman off the bench was something as well.

cohenzone

Old Member
Reaction Score
. There is an unconsciousness to officiating sometimes. Because, I understand that they are human also, it is hard to understand.

Please stop with this "officials are human also" stuff. Most people stop believing that after the last tooth is sacrificed to the tooth fairy. What human being would chase after a bunch of much younger people, all the while wearing unflattering striped shirts with a whistle clenched between their teeth, and making wild hand gestures? To boot, these creatures clearly have sub-human eye-sight, perfected through years of training.

msf22b

Maestro
Reaction Score
Nurse doesn't have to have a great three…she had demonstrated a neat mid-range pull-up; could be very useful.
I wouldn't be surprised to see Tuck start even Sunday. Kiah may be more confident and prepared coming off the bench.

That leaves the team slightly vulnerable to the big teams like UTenn (who we don't play) and South Carolina but Nurse rebounds well too as does Tuck. Perhaps the more effective D will more than compensate.

Also we haven't seen the full force of Moriah yet; another game changer, would be nice to see a rebirth of that.

And Gabby's lurking somewhere.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leepaul