Kia Nurse: The Future of Canadian Women’s Basketball | The Boneyard

Kia Nurse: The Future of Canadian Women’s Basketball

Status
Not open for further replies.

bschwartz

Popular Im-Poster
Reaction Score
This article looks familiar, but the publish date is today. The nugget below caught my eye.

"In communicating with Huskies Assistant coach Shea Ralph, she says, “The two things that Coach Auriemma tells us we have to have in recruits is ultra-confidence and ultra-competitiveness,” two traits that Nurse undoubtedly possesses.

“Aside from that, the things we look for are things that we can’t coach; being good teammates, being coachable, having a good work ethic and a high basketball IQ.”"

DobbsRover2

Slap me 10
Reaction Score
This article looks familiar, but the publish date is today. The nugget below caught my eye.

"In communicating with Huskies Assistant coach Shea Ralph, she says, “The two things that Coach Auriemma tells us we have to have in recruits is ultra-confidence and ultra-competitiveness,” two traits that Nurse undoubtedly possesses.

“Aside from that, the things we look for are things that we can’t coach; being good teammates, being coachable, having a good work ethic and a high basketball IQ.”"
No, that looks new, and nice comprehensive article that picks up on some of the WCBB rivalry notes.

It's always amusing to read the different things that are cited as being a must for UConn recruits. Some times it's the ability to pass the ball, sometimes it's the concentration on playing defense. Here it's the ultra-confidence and ultra-competitiveness.

One requirement I never see listed is having some really cool tattoos.

T

TroyHouse66

DobbsRover2:
<<One requirement I never see listed is having some really cool tattoos.>>

You could always demand that Stef play barefoot her last game...
That could be the perfect fetish of her UConn career for you.

Reaction Score
They must be able to walk and chew bubble gum at the same time............#1 BB IQ and be an Elite Athlete, # 2 Mentally tough, #3 Have a sense of humor and not have thin skin........

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
Just realized ... should Stewart be added to the USA team for the worlds it would mean that next years college team had two national team players on it!

DobbsRover2

Slap me 10
Reaction Score
DobbsRover2:
<<One requirement I never see listed is having some really cool tattoos.>>

You could always demand that Stef play barefoot her last game...
That could be the perfect fetish of her UConn career for you.
I guess, although from what I saw of Stef's tattoo it was nice enough, but I'm not sure it really reached my level of cool factor after many perusals of online tatt00 worshiping sites.

T

TroyHouse66

DobbsRover2
<< ...Stef's tattoo ...nice enough, ...not sure it really reached my level of cool....>>

You COULD make suggestions...
She has another foot, which may, just, be due this March.

pap49cba

The Supreme Linkster
Reaction Score
In another, earlier, thread I predicted Nurse would end up being our "stealth bomber" for next year. I still feel that way. Geno and the staff may really have stolen one here....

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
She is really good. The Canadian National Team experience is a definite plus. Her day to day level of competition has been "not so much." One thing is for sure: Next year the guard game/competition is going to be a real kick in the pants!

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
She is really good. The Canadian National Team experience is a definite plus. Her day to day level of competition has been "not so much." One thing is for sure: Next year the guard game/competition is going to be a real kick in the pants!
Speaking of which, (and I'm sure this will go on all summer and probably most of the fall, probably even half way into the season) Who starts with Jefferson? Banks, Chong, one of the Freshmen?

VAMike23

The Virginian
Reaction Score
Speaking of which, (and I'm sure this will go on all summer and probably most of the fall, probably even half way into the season) Who starts with Jefferson? Banks, Chong, one of the Freshmen?

You got that right..!!

Too much basketball yet to be played, both this year and in fall practices for me to even guess who, between BBanks and Chong, will be paired with Mo at the start of the year. Probably Banks but who knows.

And the freshman are a huge question mark - not because of their downside (being freshman) but because of how *good* they could be. Between Edwards and Nurse, I am wondering if Nurse's defensive skills won't give her an edge on PT in the first year. Banks has always had great potential as an on-ball defender but as Geno has mentioned a number of times, it didn't pan out that way for quite a while at least. She has gotten much better this year. I am penciling Ekmark in at wing behind KML, and Gabby might need to be brought along slowly. Or not. Fingers crossed on that one.

It will be a tremendous luxury to watch it all and find out.

Last edited:

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
If the USA plays Canada in Turkey, Kia will matched up with Sue or Dee. Nice!

Reaction Score

Just a feeling, but I think Kia Nurse starts next year. She has good genes...

Icebear

Andlig Ledare
Reaction Score
I think she may shock in US WCBB who will wonder, "Who is this kid and why and didn't we know about her?"

VAMike23

The Virginian
Reaction Score
MilfordHusky said:
I think she comes in UConn ready. I expect to see her name on the wall when she leaves.

I think you may be right.

What I'm most intrigued by is her rep for lockdown D. We've heard it occasionally with other players coming out of HS but in recent years there has only been one Kelly Faris in that regard, and she was an excellent, tenacious defender from day 1. I think the best individual defenders are at least "very good" when they hit campus and become "outstanding" as they learn the finer points of team D.

If she really is someone who can approach Faris-like levels, that would be really special of course. Even if she's a little short of that, it could still help her earn more minutes in what promises to be a very competitive situation at the guard spots for the Huskies.

Just as an aside, I always thought Tiff was an underrated individual defender. My two fav perimeter defensive tandems both had Tiff in them: Hayes/Greene & Hayes/Faris.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
44…speculation about recruits and/or financial markets requires a set of Big Boy Pants…here ya go.

you are the same poster that does not think it is fair to have undo expectations for current freshman, but have a player not even on campus yet as an All American. Stop speaking out of both sides of your mouth!!!!!!!

Ozzie Nelson

RIP, Ozzie
Reaction Score
you are the same poster that does not think it is fair to have undo expectations for current freshman, but have a player not even on campus yet as an All American. Stop speaking out of both sides of your mouth!!!!!!!

show me the post Bubba, where I said that...

HGN

Reaction Score
I say a safe bet is with Banks.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dogsdogsdog