Kia Nurse: early commitment reports; rankings debate | Page 11 | The Boneyard

Kia Nurse: early commitment reports; rankings debate

Status
Not open for further replies.
U

UCONNfan1

It seems to me that there is one poster in this thread who posts every single thought that comes into his/her head. Holy smokes. Makes my teeth hurt!

I agree with the doggy and Sesame Street. One of these things is not like the other. 11, 11, 14, 156. It's comical that this argument is continuing. but I am not nearly that stubborn.

Zorro

Nuestro Zorro Amigo
Reaction Score
Where can one get a good lutefisk, Padre?

Reaction Score
Well, I can think of one thing this thread has accomplished. It's driven vowelguy underground. I, for one, was thankful for his rankings and looked forward to the updates.
I know that not everyone on this board had a great relationship with vg but he obviously spent a lot of his personal time compiling his rankings. Can his methodology be debated, yes (though I side with vg and Arsenal on this one. I never heard a peep about anyone else's ranking, only Kia's). I think the problem was how he was criticized. Such as "I did not mean to be snarky about it, but if someone spends as much time on this as he says he does, I'd think he'd want it to be at least relevant". Was it really necessary to add the "if" and "relevant" ? Casting possible doubt on how much time he really spends on it and it's relevance in general.

Icebear

Andlig Ledare
Reaction Score
Z, It was a standard at our Christmas dinners until my Far Mor died. Plus flaskorv (pork sausage), sill (pickled herring), press sillta, julost (cheese), vortlimpa (orange rye), risgrynsgrot (rice pudding), pepparkakor (ginger snaps), lussekattor (saffron rolls), knackebrod (hard tack crackers), glogg (Christmas grog) and akvavit.

Last edited:

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
Z, It was a standard at our Christmas dinners until my Mor Mor died. Plus flaskorv, sill, press sillta, julost, vortlimpa, risgrynsgrot, pepparkakor, lussekattor, knackebrod, glogg and akvavit.

With enough of the last in the list I guess you can eat anything!

U

UCONNfan1

Well, I can think of one thing this thread has accomplished. It's driven vowelguy underground. I, for one, was thankful for his rankings and looked forward to the updates.
I know that not everyone on this board had a great relationship with vg but he obviously spent a lot of his personal time compiling his rankings. Can his methodology be debated, yes (though I side with vg and Arsenal on this one. I never heard a peep about anyone else's ranking, only Kia's). I think the problem was how he was criticized. Such as "I did not mean to be snarky about it, but if someone spends as much time on this as he says he does, I'd think he'd want it to be at least relevant". Was it really necessary to add the "if" and "relevant" ? Casting possible doubt on how much time he really spends on it and it's relevance in general.
If someone has skin that thin, I'm not sure I have a cure for what ails them. I get this is the women's board and it's more warm and fuzzy, but I've heard worse between friends on the men's board.

If his sole purpose is to get attention from people and only a ton of "yay rah rah's", then apparently he's going to be disappointed. Any time someone makes a list, there is going to be a debate about it. Anytime someone uses SOME data that makes no sense, the debate will more likely contain criticism.

How hard would it be to appease everyone and say "here's the list using the date only by the numbers, and here's the list throwing out the outlier most everyone was so vocal about"? Seems like it would take about 2 extra minutes and all this debate would be rendered impotent.

Zorro

Nuestro Zorro Amigo
Reaction Score
Z, It was a standard at our Christmas dinners until my Mor Mor died. Plus flaskorv, sill, press sillta, julost, vortlimpa, risgrynsgrot, pepparkakor, lussekattor, knackebrod, glogg and akvavit.

I pretty much know what litefisk and akavit are; about the others I am afraid to ask. Sorry about your Mor Mor.

JS

Reaction Score
If someone has skin that thin, I'm not sure I have a cure for what ails them. I get this is the women's board and it's more warm and fuzzy, but I've heard worse between friends on the men's board.

Would you kindly stop comparing this board with the men's board? You've done it about ten times by my count and have even run over there to get their vote. It's pointless and annoying. If you like it over there better, then stay over there. Vowelguy's attitude has nothing to do with what board this is.

If his sole purpose is to get attention from people and only a ton of "yay rah rah's", then apparently he's going to be disappointed.

Unnecessary personal snipe. Yes, he can be a bit grumpy (I've referred to Irritable Vowel Syndrome) but questioning his motives is uncalled for. He's created what most people consider a valuable resource; to suggest he may be doing it "just for attention" is way yucky.

How hard would it be to appease everyone and say "here's the list using the date only by the numbers, and here's the list throwing out the outlier most everyone was so vocal about"?
How hard would it be for anyone to post his own "corrected" version of the ranking of this one player? VG doesn't have to do it in order to please your "most everyone" -- which is really only a few who want not only to comment but for HIM to do something.

And would that job stop with this one player? Or to be consistent would he have to start doing it with everybody "just to be accurate" (if piling on an additional, burdensome layer of subjectivity can be called progress toward accuracy). He's entitled to pay no further attention to this tempestuous teapot, and apparently hasn't.

doggydaddy

Grampysorus Rex
Reaction Score
How hard would it be for anyone to post his own "corrected" version of the ranking of this one player? VG doesn't have to do it in order to please your "most everyone" -- which is really only a few who want not only to comment but for HIM to do something.

I posted my own. Short and to the point.

Reaction Score
Reaction Score
"... just for truth and justice.... ranking Nurse 40 is neither truth or justice but it's probably the American way."

Now when you lads are citing this "American Way" of doing things, do you mean "American" or do you mean the "United States-er" way of doing it... eh?
Sometimes those boys (down South of Minnie-zotah) have a somewhat geocentric take on realities...
Or could the difference be in the exchange rate between the Geo.Washington dollar and the good-old Maple leaf variety... Or perhaps an intrinsic conversion ratio between the "English" system [which, realistically, probably ended in 1789 (down South)] and the good-old Metric system... eh?
To really be neighborly & accommodating, wouldn't you need to rate her in pure Canadian and then include the translation to Quebecois... non? ...eh?

Seriously...
Kia Nurse and UConn appear to be on a mutually harmonious road.
UConn and Geno desire intrinsically motivated, team oriented, high IQ, athletes to learn and polish their skills at the highest level of basketball.
Kia, by all accounts, wants to develop herself to the maximum level possible... and then push her Canadian National team to the utmost plateau of International competition.
These goals are far from exclusive of each other.
[Come sit by the Master, KN, and enjoy the warm weather in Storrs ,under our glorious Sugar Maples]

What about that New Orleans kerfuffle circa 1814?

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
It seems to me that there is one poster in this thread who posts every single thought that comes into his/her head. Holy smokes. Makes my teeth hurt!
Or maybe that poster is just trying edumacate some people??

I agree with the doggy and Sesame Street. One of these things is not like the other. 11, 11, 14, 156.
Agree. There's no argument there. It's what you do about it, and how. And more importantly why.

It's comical that this argument is continuing.
Agreed.

but I am not nearly that stubborn.
'
We'll see about that. ;)

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
And would that job stop with this one player? Or to be consistent would he have to start doing it with everybody "just to be accurate" (if piling on an additional, burdensome layer of subjectivity can be called progress toward accuracy).
One of my main points. Getting rid of the Nurse "outlier" (assuming it is), isn't going to make the list "more accurate".

He's entitled to pay no further attention to this tempestuous teapot, and apparently hasn't.
I only do it because I enjoy it.

doggydaddy

Grampysorus Rex
Reaction Score
Or maybe that poster is just trying edumacate some people??

Agree. There's no argument there. It's what you do about it, and how. And more importantly why.

Agreed.

'
We'll see about that. ;)
I do agree with you on one thing. Growlguy is just taking information as is from the recruiting sites and treating it all equally.

It's not his fault that Hoopgurlz has her with no ranking and only 3 stars.

His chart, his choice how to handle it.

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
I do agree with you on one thing. Growlguy is just taking information as is from the recruiting sites and treating it all equally.

It's not his fault that Hoopgurlz has her with no ranking and only 3 stars.

His chart, his choice how to handle it.
Exactly.

If I was doing a compilation, I would quit at 100. But mostly because I'm lazy. And it's a pretty round number. And as a UCONN fan we don't really deal with players >100. But, but I would do that for every player.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
deltaop99

Top Bottom