Keys to Maryland game tomorrow | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Keys to Maryland game tomorrow

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
If the implication here is that UConn has to shoot out of their minds to win this game, I think that's 100% wrong. Maryland is a good team, but this isn't some kind of David and Goliath deal here, let's not get carried away.

Incidentally, while I think Jake Layman is a dangerous shooter and a perfect 1980s high school movie villain I don't think he strikes fear in anyone's heart as a shot blocker.

He isn't a plus defender or ball handler which aligns with your comment.

Reaction Score
Wholeheartedly disagree its going to be a track meet. UNC likes playing at that pace and Maryland went along with it.

Maryland ranks 287 in adjusted tempo and UConn 242. UConn is ranked 17th for defensive efficiency and Maryland 41st. Both teams have been very efficient on offense UM(11th) and UConn (17th).

MSG tends to have lower scoring games when college games are played there. It could be a combination of hte atmosphere and the nba tight rims.

I see this game in the mid/low 70s

Thanks for the #'s bro. I was going to look that stuff up tonight.

Reaction Score
Sulaimon has been absolutely fantastic this year, I didn't expect anything close to the production/percentages he has put up. Brimah will be interesting to watch offensively as I think he could struggle a bit against the Maryland bigs. With that said, I wouldn't classify Maryland as a good shot blocking team and they are not even top 40 in that category with 5 blocks/game.

Sulaimon is 18-34 from downtown hitting at .529%.

Gibbs 14-40 @ .35% from downtown.

This could be and hopefully will be the game where these #'s start to even out. You have to like MSG as a potential breakout game for Gibbs. I don't have his stats at the Garden (maybe someone does?) but you have to think Gibbs will step up big in this game. Everyone was very high on Gibbs and this stage would be a nice spot for him to come up big unlike his 5-20 shooting against the Zags/Cuse.

Silk31

Foot Stays on Gas
Reaction Score
Sulaimon is 18-34 from downtown hitting at .529%.

Gibbs 14-40 @ .35% from downtown.

This could be and hopefully will be the game where these #'s start to even out. You have to like MSG as a potential breakout game for Gibbs. I don't have his stats at the Garden (maybe someone does?) but you have to think Gibbs will step up big in this game. Everyone was very high on Gibbs and this stage would be a nice spot for him to come up big unlike his 5-20 shooting against the Zags/Cuse.
We will need to defend the 3 on them better than we did vs Cuse and Zags (see other posters begging not to go under screens anymore). On the flipside our guys will need to knock down some jumpers to soften up their D and open driving lanes. May this be the game that we actually get some FT attempts?

Reaction Score
k97U4vw.png

Maryland weaknesses:
Turnovers. We need to pressure their guards into mistakes and harass their bigs when they get the ball. Our natural D doesn't force too many, but it could be the difference in the game. This is how UNC beat Maryland. Maryland's guards got going too fast and led to a lot of unforced errors.

Rebounding. They're pretty average on the glass (other than Robert Carter), so they shouldn't beat us in that phase. We might be able to take advantage on the offensive glass if our bigs get active.

2pt D. They block a fair number of shots (and are very tall across positions), but teams score a fair amount of points in the paint and on relatively high shooting numbers against their defense.

Maryland strengths:
Our FG defense could help neutralize one of their biggest strengths, strong paint shooting. Brimah needs to stay in the game and stay strong. This will be a key to the game. Melo Trimble is great at penetrating and finding the help man. Our rotations will have to be strong. Teams tend to settle for 3s against us, so Maryland's fairly good 3-point shooting may determine the game.

Fouls. Maryland does not foul on D. We don't draw a ton of fouls either, so we'll have to make shots in the half court or transition.

CTBasketball

Former Owner of the Pizza Thread
Reaction Score
We control the boards and don't have any WTF stretches on defense and we'll win.

Silk31

Foot Stays on Gas
Reaction Score
Maryland doesn't have a true backup PG behind Melo. Sheed can handle it in a pinch but he's not a true PG. I like what KO has done with the shortened shot clock in pressing teams. We saw Melo be very careless with the ball and turn it over with some added UNC pressure (mainly in the 1st half). I would like to see us pressure him as well

UConnSwag11

Storrs, CT The Mecca
Reaction Score
What I saw against unc was melo getting a lot of ball screens. Most were up at the top of the key. He would either penetrate or most of the time pull up for three... if were going to go inside early it has to be miller, it can't be brimah... purvis has to keep attacking the rim even if his shots arent going in... gibbs has to shoot better and make better decisions... hamilton cannot turn the ball over and when he gets into the lane he has to shoot and not look to lob every time... if adams can lock down melo or whoever he is guarding that's perfect, throw in 6 points and run the offense... the biggest thing for me is for them to come out with energy and play solid d... play hard d with intensity and the offense will come

Reaction Score
What the Terps have no clue about ... the Garden has a bunch of magic for the National Flag Blue team.

Reaction Score
If Brimah picks up 2 quick fouls we are in trouble. Needs to stay in the game and make Stone play both sides of the court. Facey needs to be ready to play important minutes and a lot of them. He was huge vs Duke last year when Okafor (and the refs) took Brimah out of the game.

Hamilton needs to get his. Too often he spends the first 25 minutes trying to get everyone else going then looks up at the scoreboard realizes we're down 15 points and suddenly remembers he can score almost at will. Call it Jr. Year Bazz Syndrome.

Miller needs to dominate the glass.

I don't wanna put too much pressure on Adams to do too much in this game so Gibbs needs to not be invisible. Purvis needs to not force everything and Omar/SCJR need to need be ready to pitch in.

Dogbreath2U

RIP, DB2U
Reaction Score
Defend...especially don't allow lay ups and open threes and rebound!
Attack on offense...but under control...and make your frigging lay ups!

Making layups and bunnies in general would be a real good place to start. It kind of kills the energy when someone makes a good play to get to the hoop, then can't get the shot to go down.

Reaction Score
Making layups and bunnies in general would be a real good place to start. It kind of kills the energy when someone makes a good play to get to the hoop, then can't get the shot to go down.

That's number one for me. Make layups, don't get lost on defense and for God's sake, make smart decisions with the ball.

Reaction Score
Maryland doesn't have a true backup PG behind Melo. Sheed can handle it in a pinch but he's not a true PG. I like what KO has done with the shortened shot clock in pressing teams. We saw Melo be very careless with the ball and turn it over with some added UNC pressure (mainly in the 1st half). I would like to see us pressure him as well
I'll admit I've peeked at Melo's game the last couple of years, the kid can flat out play. Gibbs and Purvis are in his league which puts us in good position. Purvis loved playing D down in the Bahamas.

But the kid still scares me, I respect his game and the ball is always in his hands. Not sure if Jaylen is ready for him, other than agitating their star. It would be good if our guards get going offensively along with mucho fast breaks, and tire that SOB out.

Reaction Score
Hit layups, mainly Rodney not settling for floaters, his body is built for contact. Better and more effective hedging on screens. Want KO to iron into AB's mind to keep his arms straight up, and for my TV's sake, get out of 3pt shooters.

Reaction Score
Reading the Maryland boards, they are under the assumption if Hamilton is blanketed that it will be an easy W for College Park. This team is deep enough to win if Hamilton plays a controlled game if Maryland is going to throw waves of bodies at him. I think Adams needs to play key minutes at the point, on/off with Purvis and Gibbs and UCONN will be fine.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Brimah stays home on Stone, forget the help defense. Rodney needs to convert more on drives to basket. Gibbs needs to hit a few jumpers early. Keep the tempo fast. But most important: stay competitive on rebounds.

caw

Reaction Score
Reading the Maryland boards, they are under the assumption if Hamilton is blanketed that it will be an easy W for College Park. This team is deep enough to win if Hamilton plays a controlled game if Maryland is going to throw waves of bodies at him. I think Adams needs to play key minutes at the point, on/off with Purvis and Gibbs and UCONN will be fine.

I guess I would have to read their analysis but I'm not sure how that would work for Maryland. It doesn't make sense to double Hamilton as he is a fantastic facilitator. Just having a single defender try and prevent him from getting the ball would be a strategy but that leaves a lot of room for Purvis, Adams and Gibbs.

If I were defending UConn I would play a zone defense that extends on Purvis and Gibbs but begs Hamilton and Miller to shoot, especially with Stone being a bit lumbering on defense. Not the easiest defense to install without prep and it would have to be disiplined.

Honestly though Marylands biggest issue is their reckless turnovers followed by somewhat lax defense from their PG and C positions. They have good/decent wing defenders but Stone doesn't protect the rim well and Melo hasn't been a good defender in his career. Both make up for it on offense usually.

For UConn it's going to be how they defend the PnR and how Brimah defends Stone with his range. Nolan is familiar with Stone, so that could also be interesting.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MTSuitsky

Top Bottom