OT: Keyontae Johnson UF | The Boneyard

OT: Keyontae Johnson UF

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Just wanted to take a second to share prayers and best wishes to the young man who collapsed during the game today. One of the best returning players in the nation this year.

Reaction Score

I couldn't help but feel sick after I first learned about this.

That is really scary. I hope he is OK. Kudos to Mike White for staying with him at the hospital overnight. I think thats really great. We get on coaches all the time when it comes to recruiting, etc, but a lot of them care deeply about their players like they care about their own sons.

Reaction Score
That is really scary. I hope he is OK. Kudos to Mike White for staying with him at the hospital overnight. I think thats really great. We get on coaches all the time when it comes to recruiting, etc, but a lot of them care deeply about their players like they care about their own sons.
Definitely a good guy move by Mike White.

Every year (unfortunately) we see a lot of athletes have issues because they are unaware that they have an enlarged heart. I’m wondering if that’s the case here.

Johnson also had Covid over the summer and there’s been some connection with lingering heart issues and Covid. Kind of creepy for people like me who had Covid too and continue to do cardiovascular activity with regularity.

Regardless, at least his condition is stable. Praying that he gets out of the woods in the coming hours.

Reaction Score
Johnson also had Covid over the summer and there’s been some connection with lingering heart issues and Covid. Kind of creepy for people like me who had Covid too and continue to do cardiovascular activity with regularity.

If there is a connection, this is scary especially knowing that games are cancelled or postponed due to positive tests across the nation. Coaches, their athletic departments and the NCAA should really re-think their strategy and put the health of their players first.

Reaction Score
'
"I did not see what happened," FSU head coach Leonard Hamilton said. "It had a really dramatic effect on my team. ... Matter of fact, several of my players were crying. ... A couple of them were emotional to the point that I wasn't real sure how effective they would be throughout the game."

Hamilton said he left it up to Florida head coach Mike White if the Gators wanted to continue playing. The visitors elected to stay on the court, and so they resumed the game after a delay of several minutes.

"What I told our guys we just need to pray for him and hope that everything works out all right," Hamilton said. "Immediately we had several players get on their knees and were praying that our opponent would recover."

Reaction Score
If there is a connection, this is scary especially knowing that games are cancelled or postponed due to positive tests across the nation. Coaches, their athletic departments and the NCAA should really re-think their strategy and put the health of their players first.
It’s founded of a very small sample of data involving the PSU football team last time I saw. So I personally didn’t put much stock into it.

Reaction Score
It’s founded of a very small sample of data involving the PSU football team last time I saw. So I personally didn’t put much stock into it.
I'm not sure how many cases there have been like that but Eduardo Rodriguez of the Red Sox was another.

Reaction Score

Five alarms on this one. Myocarditis is under 10% of Covid recoveries, but certainly not uncommon.

Hate to be crass here but the SEC was first out of the gate on playing sports while the B1G didn't start until the players signed waivers (which to me betrays the whole point of a university).

Reaction Score
Definitely a good guy move by Mike White.

Every year (unfortunately) we see a lot of athletes have issues because they are unaware that they have an enlarged heart. I’m wondering if that’s the case here.

Regardless, at least his condition is stable. Praying that he gets out of the woods in the coming hours.
I thought about Covid, did he have lingering cardiovascular side effects that no one knew about? Hope he heals.

Reaction Score
I thought about Covid, did he have lingering cardiovascular side effects that no one knew about? Hope he heals.
Who knows, this stuff has always been a problem in basketball. I've seen numerous players drop over the years, a kid in my high school fell over during a game and passed away.

Reaction Score
Who knows, this stuff has always been a problem in basketball. I've seen numerous players drop over the years, a kid in my high school fell over during a game in high school and passed away.
Well aware of that - I knew someone personally who did. I just think the covid aspect needs to be investigated because if that had anything to do with this they need to reconsider sports right now.

Reaction Score
If he did there’s no way he’d be playing. That’s the thing here. Even a doctor could probably only guess the cause. Poor kid. Obviously you wish for his health, but in his case we’re talking about a virtually guaranteed million+ dollar career that could be jeopardized for an unknown cause. Harrowing reminder that nothing is ever promised.

krinklecut

Class of '11
Reaction Score
This is what’s so frustrating about all of this. There have been some of us practically screaming about the longer term effects, especially the fact that even in young patients with mild cases the heart and lungs can get pretty messed up.

Don’t want to jump ahead of anything here and this is tragic no matter the cause, but if this is COVID related the season needs to end, full stop.

Reaction Score
If he did there’s no way he’d be playing. That’s the thing here. Even a doctor could probably only guess the cause. Poor kid. Obviously you wish for his health, but in his case we’re talking about a virtually guaranteed million+ dollar career that could be jeopardized for an unknown cause. Harrowing reminder that nothing is ever promised.
He would if noone knew he had side effects. They aren't checking everyone post covid, esp mild cases. They can't even begin to.

Reaction Score

We don't know this. Given what I've seen this semester at universities, I would not be shocked if he wasn't thoroughly checked out post Covid. & who knows if he even was really sick or received any treatment at all.

Reaction Score
This is what’s so frustrating about all of this. There have been some of us practically screaming about the longer term effects, especially the fact that even in young patients with mild cases the heart and lungs can get pretty messed up.

Don’t want to jump ahead of anything here and this is tragic no matter the cause, but if this is COVID related the season needs to end, full stop.
To play devil's advocate, there's a lot of nuance necessary here.

The longer-term effects aren't and can't fully be known - but that's the case with a *lot* of things. The evidence right now is sparse but not indicative of widespread long-term effects. But we also can't shut the world down until we know for sure.

There definitely needs to be research into this case - but it has to be more complex than if it's just related to Covid, that's too non-specific. Is this the case of someone who had Covid, but had a pre-existing cardiovascular condition that likely would've surfaced in the same way that it did? Is this incident most likely the result of his prior Covid diagnosis and wouldn't have happened if he wasn't? These are the kinds of questions that can lead to more informed decisions about next steps rather than reactive knee-jerk decisions based on loose evidence and click bait-y headlines.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
taliekluv32

Top Bottom