Key tweets, and it's all gone to Hell. | Page 570 | The Boneyard

Key tweets, and it's all gone to Hell.

FfldCntyFan

Texas: Property of UConn Men's Basketball program
Reaction Score
That's my point. ESPN doesn't directly own the GOR. Their contract with the ACC is the content it provides them.

If FSU leaves ESPN will sue the ACC and the ACC will sue FSU. The ACC will retain the rights to FSU's home games for the duration of the GOR and ESPN will retain the rights to distribute those games. The conference FSU leaves the ACC to go to will be paying FSU whatever they agree upon but they will not receive any revenues FSU generates that are obligated to the ACC.
Not exactly.

If FSU leaves, it cannot take its media rights without some financial settlement with the ACC. If the ACC settles with FSU, they cannot then sue FSU after ESPN seeks consideration for FSU leaving.

The ACC won't settle with any departing schools quickly unless the settlement dollars are large enough that they would be confident they won't lose money over the remaining term of the GOR.

If the ACC were to lose one of their marquee football schools (Clemson, FSU), ESPN would immediately move to cut their payments to the ACC (and I'll wager heavily that there is language in the contract allowing for this).

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
The ex Fox exec weighing in on B12 realignment said Fox should not pay up for UConn since they already own them.

When I asked if that meant they were more valuable in the BE he seemed to say yes. So according to him he’d rather see UConn play BE teams because that would have more value for FOX than them playing B12 teams. BUT it could also mean that the BE would have less sheen without the men and women.
The crux of his argument from a Fox perspective seems to be that ESPN gets 2/3 of the games and Fox 1/3. So Fox would lose a lot of UConn basketball content if they move. Of course Fox would gain football content, but his comment on the other additions suggested that more mediocre football inventory wasn't a boost.

Reaction Score
Not exactly.

If FSU leaves, it cannot take its media rights without some financial settlement with the ACC. If the ACC settles with FSU, they cannot then sue FSU after ESPN seeks consideration for FSU leaving.

The ACC won't settle with any departing schools quickly unless the settlement dollars are large enough that they would be confident they won't lose money over the remaining term of the GOR.

If the ACC were to lose one of their marquee football schools (Clemson, FSU), ESPN would immediately move to cut their payments to the ACC (and I'll wager heavily that there is language in the contract allowing for this).

Why can’t the ACC continue to show FSU games through ACCN or their media partner over the next 13 years? W t f would any conference say yes to that?

Samoo

Providence-Newark-San Antonio
Reaction Score
Never been. Ask @superjohn

A proper College Town has a downtown with restaurants, bars, breweries, live music venues and independent shops. Should have a movie theater. Ideally also grocery stores and a Target/Walmart.

Edit: downtown Ames
View attachment 90283
Looks like Corvallis.

Reaction Score
And you know that boosters sharing their opinion with school administrators don't? Thank goodness for your superior knowledge.

I doubt it matters. But it can't help, and it can only hurt.
Pump the brakes and thanks for the superior knowledge comment... there is so much crap being posted for and against x and y schools that if anyone that's important in directly making a decision or influencing a decision is swayed by the internet cesspool then God bless.

Reaction Score
The crux of his argument from a Fox perspective seems to be that ESPN gets 2/3 of the games and Fox 1/3. So Fox would lose a lot of UConn basketball content if they move. Of course Fox would gain football content, but his comment on the other additions suggested that more mediocre football inventory wasn't a boost.

How is adding teams for more PT zone games with crappy football programs attractive? Nobody is watching now, this is why the PAC is in it’s current position. Why invest in a losing propostion. It’s not only the time zone. Give UConn 20M to start and when we win the B12 Football championship game under Mora we get a 1.5X share. I hope we win our season opener.

Reaction Score
Well for one, it's a college town whereas Mansfield/Storrs is just a town with a college in it. A town that doesn't particularly want a University in it.

As for Ames there's a strip of college bars and bars all over the place, restaurants all over, cafes, live music, breweries. Bars, restaurants, and stores that have been there forever. They have a bunch of hotels. They have a large football stadium on campus. You hit on why UConn/Storrs isn't a college town. It's never been a college town and they tried to create one somewhat recently by building brand new cookie cutter buildings to house overpriced chains. That didn't make it a college town unfortunately.

It's bizarre anyone would even attempt to argue Storrs is a better college town than Ames but here upstater is. Ames and Iowa City blow Storrs out of the water.
You can argue that Burlington, VT is a great college town and I'd agree, because Burlington is a great town. I don't think having a bunch of bars necessarily makes a town great. But I'm old. As a poor college student, I was busy going to campus and off-campus parties drinking cheap beer. Not too mention being able to see lots of entertainment on campus including the likes of Stevie Ray, Joan Jett, 10,000 Maniacs, etc.

I'll concede Storrs isn't a great town outside of the UConn campus, but the campus itself is up there with anyone.

I've been to Athens, GA which some would say is a great college town. I wasn't that impressed.

Reaction Score
The ex Fox exec weighing in on B12 realignment said Fox should not pay up for UConn since they already own them.

When I asked if that meant they were more valuable in the BE he seemed to say yes. So according to him he’d rather see UConn play BE teams because that would have more value for FOX than them playing B12 teams. BUT it could also mean that the BE would have less sheen without the men and women.
I find it extremely hard to believe UConn bb (men's and women's) is more valuable playing small private catholic schools in the BE vs playing larger state/flagship schools if in the Big12. Not buying it. Then add in any fb boost and his viewpoint seems plain wrong.

FfldCntyFan

Reaction Score
Why can’t the ACC continue to show FSU games through ACCN or their media partner over the next 13 years? W t f would any conference say yes to that?
The ACC will own the rights until some settlement is reached. My comment was in response to a post claiming ESPN would sue the ACC and the ACC would then sue FSU. That wouldn't happen. If no settlement has been reached, ESPN will still be televising FSU games. If a settlement has been reached, ESPN could go after the ACC but FSU would be clear (due to the settlement). This is why it will neither be cheap nor easy for a school to get out if the GOR.

FfldCntyFan

Reaction Score
I find it extremely hard to believe UConn bb (men's and women's) is more valuable playing small private catholic schools in the BE vs playing larger state/flagship schools if in the Big12. Not buying it. Then add in any fb boost and his viewpoint seems plain wrong.
I think his point is Fox gets UConn basketball for $5 million annually. It wouldn't make sense to start paying $31 million just to add football.

Fox's perspective (as it pertains specifically to the question) in his interpretation (which may be excluding some pertinent items) is there is no reason to increase what they are paying for UConn just to add football.

ConnHuskBask

Shut Em Down!
Reaction Score
I think his point is Fox gets UConn basketball for $5 million annually. It wouldn't make sense to start paying $31 million just to add football.

Fox's perspective (as it pertains specifically to the question) in his interpretation (which may be excluding some pertinent items) is there is no reason to increase what they are paying for UConn just to add football.

I'd put the chances at this happening as slim to none, but if the Florida state rumors have any legs maybe after two decades of rejection an Acc invite could potentially be down the line. Then they'd not only lose UConn but hurt the BE product overall.

Reaction Score
I don’t get why people in CT can’t just admit that CT is nice. No. Storrs is not like Ames. But, if you have spent any time up there last 6 years it is vastly improved. It is a college town now with downtown storrs. It has apartments, grocery, dining, things like that make it a lot nicer.

The old Mansfield guard is dying. The next step is moving EO Smith and taking that massively valuable piece of land for commercial development.

Reaction Score

I see what you're saying, but Fox is only on the hook for $11m per added team, not $31m. I'm thinking that UConn in the Big12 would bring more than the difference of what Fox is paying UConn in the Big East vs the $11m if brought into the Big12 for bb, fb, etc. I think Fox has already said they approve of UConn to the Big12.

Reaction Score
To business lawyer. Can’t you just break a contract and pay damages?

GOR isn’t some blood oath.

ctchamps

We are UConn!! 4>1 But 5>>>>1 is even better!
Reaction Score
Not exactly.

I'm just advocating that the $ amount would be so large nobody is going to offer cash or exclusively offer cash. The entity(its) would be forced to leave content behind. Hence the home games or some of the home game revenue would remain with the ACC. I can't see ESPN just accepting a dollar for dollar settlement. They would sue for damages if the school left to a conference with a different network.

The argument I have with myself is that the conference where FSU heads could sabotage this arrangement by setting up lousy teams to play FSU and that threat would force ESPN to take a cash settlement.

And then I argue with myself and think ESPN could say go ahead and do that and sabotage FSU which you prized.

Love these 3 dimensional chess matches.

Reaction Score
Well for one, it's a college town whereas Mansfield/Storrs is just a town with a college in it. A town that doesn't particularly want a University in it.

As for Ames there's a strip of college bars and bars all over the place, restaurants all over, cafes, live music, breweries. Bars, restaurants, and stores that have been there forever. They have a bunch of hotels. They have a large football stadium on campus. You hit on why UConn/Storrs isn't a college town. It's never been a college town and they tried to create one somewhat recently by building brand new cookie cutter buildings to house overpriced chains. That didn't make it a college town unfortunately.

It's bizarre anyone would even attempt to argue Storrs is a better college town than Ames but here upstater is. Ames and Iowa City blow Storrs out of the water.
Plus I believe the ISU football mantra at games is:

Win, Lose, we Booze.

Reaction Score

i've addressed this a bunch of times. In brief, generally one has the right to breach an executory contact -- one that hasn't yet been fully performed -- and pay the other side monetary damages. A GOR, however, is meant to stop the agreement from being an executory one, in that it purports to ACTUALLY TRANSFER AT THE PRESENT TIME rights to show games in the future, so the performance under the contract -- the transfer of rights -- has already happened. In the music industry, there is precedent that when you enter into a GOR, the other side already owns the rights to your next album and therefore there is nothing left for you to breach. I have expressed that this might or might not work with respect to the broadcasting of games, and we wouldn't know for sure until it is litigated. I still hold to that belief. So FSU can't possibly know they can walk away from the GOR and just pay actual damages, but they can make a reasonable argument that they should be able to.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score

He went over this the other day and so did I. It's not just a contract, it's sale of an interest in property. Intellectual Property. You can't just "break" it, the ACC owns those rights. You can't get them back unless the ACC sells them back to you.

ctchamps

We are UConn!! 4>1 But 5>>>>1 is even better!
Reaction Score
All this is a moot point of course because they have worked this out to everyone's satisfaction (B12, Colorado, UConn, ESPN and FOX) prior to Colorado joining. The delay we now have is some similar type of horse trading negotiating is going on between those entities and U of A plus ASU.

Which probably was loosely discussed prior to the Colorado announcement. I believe we're at the completion of the paperwork and the signing of the contracts stage.

Reaction Score

Again, it’s UConn for $5 M playing BE.
It might not be $31M but it’s UConn playing Kansas, Baylor, TT, Okie, etc. that might be worth $10M
Throw in women in a better league, that’s another $2-3M

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NYCVET

Top Bottom