Key tweets, and it's all gone to Hell. | Page 38 | The Boneyard

Key tweets, and it's all gone to Hell.

Reaction Score
Joe Schad‏@schadjoe 6h
MWC Commish Craig Thompson said he believes individual institutions should be able to choose which athlete benefits they can afford

Joe Schad‏@schadjoe 6h
MWC Commish Craig Thompson fears a loosening of transfer rules could lead to starters leaving for immediate eligibility at Power 5 programs

Joe Schad‏@schadjoe 6h
Big Ten Commish Jim Delany says the list of autonomy items "is modest. We want more."

Joe Schad‏@schadjoe 6h
Big Ten Commish Jim Delany said threats of unionizing, lawsuits, etc. can help NCAA foster change by "using momentum someone else brings."

Joe Schad‏@schadjoe 4h
American Commish Mike Aresco said his conference supports full cost of attendance; he's not sure if opt outs would be available

Reaction Score
ESPN Big Ten‏@ESPN_BigTen 5h
You can search all the revenue/expenses numbers from reporting institutions stretching back to 2008 here … https://b2.caspio.com/dp.asp?AppKey=900c1000ea466e223e104a22814aC…

Reaction Score
@BTNTomDienhart: Had breakfast w/ #B1G commish Jim Delany this morning in NYC. Big things brewing for league out east. Expect more news in next 60 days.
I'm glad this came out after the B1G/Big East show down thing, otherwise I would have guess that was it.

OkaForPrez

Really Popular Poster
Reaction Score
I'm glad this came out after the B1G/Big East show down thing, otherwise I would have guess that was it.
Deinhart is kind of screwy, maybe he's just late lol.

Dooley

Done with U-con athletics
Reaction Score
@BTNTomDienhart: Had breakfast w/ #B1G commish Jim Delany this morning in NYC. Big things brewing for league out east. Expect more news in next 60 days.

It's probably some announcement that they are going to open up a satellite office in Hartford to pump up Rutgers being the dominant northeastern program.

Reaction Score
Deinhart is kind of screwy, maybe he's just late lol.
Also, something that @UConnJim brought up in the B1G/Big East Hoop Series Thread makes me dial back my excitement a little: the ACC announced an A10 scheduling agreement when they got a way into the Barclays rotation. Perhaps that's what's going to happen in the 60 day window, only with MSG.

Although I'll say announcing it while also trumpeting the invitation of UConn--after the MSG regional finals--would make a huge splash.

Reaction Score
Let's see.. could be a number of things. After expansion (UConn) the first two that popped to mind are:
B1G BB tourney coming to either MSG or Barclay's
B1G FB Championship game to be played at Meadowlands sometime in the next 5+ years - doubt they'd do that with 2 very servicable domed stadiums in the heart of B1G territory

Obviously hoping for it to be B1G expansion (with UConn being the school - man, it is hard to type with your fingers crossed), but the B1G has been so covert and tight lipped about expansion every other time so I can't imagine he'd give that one away.

Reaction Score
Let's see.. could be a number of things. After expansion (UConn) the first two that popped to mind are:
B1G BB tourney coming to either MSG or Barclay's
B1G FB Championship game to be played at Meadowlands sometime in the next 5+ years - doubt they'd do that with 2 very servicable domed stadiums in the heart of B1G territory

Obviously hoping for it to be B1G expansion (with UConn being the school - man, it is hard to type with your fingers crossed), but the B1G has been so covert and tight lipped about expansion every other time so I can't imagine he'd give that one away.

This will be the announcement. The Big East will give them access to MSG as part of this scheduling alliance just like the ACC gets access to Barclays as part of the alliance with the A10

Dooley

Reaction Score
Why does my experience in CR give me a sense of foreboding whenever there is an announcement .
We are obviously DOOMED!

You are not alone. Any and every thing that has happened in CR has done nothing but kick UCONN square in the sack. Even the Great Senhor must cringe at the thought of any pending "major announcement" in the CR world.

Reactions: TKs
Reaction Score
There's a lot of bball talent in NYC, New England, New Jersey and Philly. The B1G needs to capture the hearts and minds of kids in that region because when it comes to bball, they are thinking UNC, Duke, UConn and Syracuse, and NOT Penn State, Rutgers, and Ohio State.

Reaction Score
2017 BB at MSG. We'll be there in time. It was Warde's only condition in joining the B1G that we not make our BB fans travel to Indianapolis.

We can only hope that the first B1G and/or ACC tournaments in MSG and Barclay's are as well-attended as that epic ACC Championship game in Jacksonville was.

Then again, if it takes either league three years to recognize that they need us, I might not be alive to see it.

ConnHuskBask

Shut Em Down!
Reaction Score
He's been ranting about it on Twitter recently, but I'm pretty sure I even remember HFD having this pegged a long time ago.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
You are not alone. Any and every thing that has happened in CR has done nothing but kick UCONN square in the sack. Even the Great Senhor must cringe at the thought of any pending "major announcement" in the CR world.

I don't cringe because the worst that can happen already has. Nothing good can come with a major announcement, so every major announcement is at least an opportunity for UConn.

Reaction Score
I don't cringe because the worst that can happen already has. Nothing good can come with a major announcement, so every major announcement is at least an opportunity for UConn.
Don't be so sure.

Me miserable! which way shall I fly
Infinite wrauth and infinite despair?
Which way I fly is Hell; myself am Hell;
And, in the lowest deep, a lower deep
Still threatening to devour me opens wide,
To which the Hell I suffer seems a Heaven.

Dooley

Reaction Score

I would really like to agree with you but Cincinnati, UCF, and USF are looking for P5 homes and we've yet to hear just how much the P5 commissioners want to kick the G5 conferences out. Still plenty of opportunities for UCONN to get more sack kicks.

Reaction Score
My guess is Big 10 getting a slot at MSG. It will just show how Delany is so much more of a strategic thinker than Swofford. ACC has to play A10 teams and gets Barclays in Brooklyn. Big 10 will get to play Big East teams and play at MSG in Manhattan.

Reaction Score
But I thought the B1G moves were reactionary and the ACC was doing everything right!

/stimpy

Reaction Score
But I thought the B1G moves were reactionary and the ACC was doing everything right!

/stimpy

Big 10 has made better strategic moves. But, they are taking a big risk in adding Rutgers as Rutgers has not been a successful athletic program, doesn't currently have great support within NJ, and it doesn't bring NYC. That said, I hope the Big 10 is successful with the additions of Maryland and Rutgers as this, in my opinion, will enhance UConn's chances of getting an invite.

Reaction Score
Risk isn't reactionary though.

Taking Rutgers can only be seen as visionary. Whether that vision comes true (I believe it will in football) remains to be seen. But reactionary? Not a chance.

Taking Louisville was reactionary. Rutgers? Not a chance.

ConnHuskBask

Shut Em Down!
Reaction Score
Risk isn't reactionary though.

Taking Rutgers can only be seen as visionary. Whether that vision comes true (I believe it will in football) remains to be seen. But reactionary? Not a chance.

Taking Louisville was reactionary. Rutgers? Not a chance.

Visionary is a strong word. It was for cable boxes in NJ, recruiting in NJ and the chance to add BTN to the NYC basic tier at a rate they want. I don't think any of this had to do with Rutgers becoming a perennial contender in the B1G.

That being said, it wouldn't shock me if Rutgers football ends up being a solid team that rises above the Indiana, Purdue, Illinois ranks of the conference.

As others have said - if BTN gets on NYC basic at the rate they want, UConn to B1G is shot. So our best bet is to root against Rutgers - which will be easy enough to do.

If the ACC had to do it again, I imagine a league with UConn, Rutgers, West Virginia is more appealing long term than BC, Pitt, Louisville.

Reaction Score
I wouldn't say rooting against Rutgers is in UConn's best interest. If Rutgers bombs it's more likely that the Big Ten will just focus on DC.

The ideal situation for UConn would be for the Rutgers addition to be semi-successful so that they "close" to getting basic carriage but needs an additional jolt to push it over the edge, which UConn can theoretically provide.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Newbie32

Top Bottom