Key Texas Booster Ticked Off Over Strong | Page 5 | The Boneyard

Key Texas Booster Ticked Off Over Strong

Status
Not open for further replies.

jbdphi

Aussie Aussie Aussie!
Reaction Score
I see no one else has posted anything positive about Mr. McCombs manning up and apologizing for his comments, but I guess that's not surprising. He didn't have to do that but he did. I think that speaks highly of his character. Personally, I believe the thing that galls people like Mr. McCombs much more than anything else is seeing their beloved alma mater's football program losing to programs like A&M, but especially to programs like TCU and Baylor. There are decades of history there from the old Southwest Conference. That would be like UConn losing regularly to BC, and way, way worse, to programs like UMass and URI. Anyway Medic, thanks for posting the above. I hope people will calm down a little and redirect their passion towards Husky football. There's a lot to be passionate about in Storrs right now.

Look about four posts up from yours, the last paragraph.

Reaction Score
I see no one else has posted anything positive about Mr. McCombs manning up and apologizing for his comments, but I guess that's not surprising. He didn't have to do that but he did. I think that speaks highly of his character. Personally, I believe the thing that galls people like Mr. McCombs much more than anything else is seeing their beloved alma mater's football program losing to programs like A&M, but especially to programs like TCU and Baylor. There are decades of history there from the old Southwest Conference. That would be like UConn losing regularly to BC, and way, way worse, to programs like UMass and URI. Anyway Medic, thanks for posting the above. I hope people will calm down a little and redirect their passion towards Husky football. There's a lot to be passionate about in Storrs right now.

Usually your first comments are your true feelings. Who's to say he didn't get a phone call from someone on the Texas BoT or president, etc., to ask him to rephrase his comments and throw in an apology.

The only thing I think McCombs did wrong was speak like a very wealthy elitist who thinks very highly of himself. We got a few of them here in CT too.

cttxus

The CT-TX-US Connection: Historic, Alive and Well
Reaction Score
Usually your first comments are your true feelings. Who's to say he didn't get a phone call from someone on the Texas BoT or president, etc., to ask him to rephrase his comments and throw in an apology.

The only thing I think McCombs did wrong was speak like a very wealthy elitist who thinks very highly of himself. We got a few of them here in CT too.

Sportsart-Mr McCombs may indeed have received a call from the UT BoT, but that's pure speculation. What we know for a fact is what's in the article posted by Medic. McCombs received a call from John Lucas, the African American head coach he hired as GM of the San Antonio Spurs back in 1992-93, who was obviously concerned about reactions to McCombs' comments and apparently ready to stick up for him.

But that's not where that story ends if you're the curious type, as I am. When he hired him, John Lucas wasn't exactly the poster child of a professional head basketball coach either. Per our friend Wikipedia . . .

"Lucas's basketball career took a turn for the worse when longstanding problems with illegal drugs became public. Several of his teammates with the Rockets, including Mitchell Wiggins and Lewis Lloyd, were banished from the NBA due to positive tests for cocaine usage. Lucas, who was also a cocaine user (and an alcoholic), submitted voluntarily to anti-drug and anti-alcohol treatment in order to stay in the league. Lucas played four more years in the NBA, averaging at age 33 a career-high 17.5 points in 1986-87, before settling into a reserve role the next three years.

After successfully undergoing drug rehabilitation, and starting programs of his own to help other athletes rehabilitate, Lucas returned to the NBA as a coach, eventually becoming a head coach of the San Antonio Spurs."

Does that sound like Mr McCombs is racist? Frankly, he sounds like an extremely forgiving person, someone willing to take a risk and give a person a second chance. In my experience, that's way more than a lot of people would be inclined to do, especially in the high stake business of professional sports. Just sayin.

Reaction Score
Sportsart-Mr McCombs may indeed have received a call from the UT BoT, but that's pure speculation. What we know for a fact is what's in the article posted by Medic. McCombs received a call from John Lucas, the African American head coach he hired as GM of the San Antonio Spurs back in 1992-93, who was obviously concerned about reactions to McCombs' comments and apparently ready to stick up for him.

But that's not where that story ends if you're the curious type, as I am. When he hired him, John Lucas wasn't exactly the poster child of a professional head basketball coach either. Per our friend Wikipedia . . .

"Lucas's basketball career took a turn for the worse when longstanding problems with illegal drugs became public. Several of his teammates with the Rockets, including Mitchell Wiggins and Lewis Lloyd, were banished from the NBA due to positive tests for cocaine usage. Lucas, who was also a cocaine user (and an alcoholic), submitted voluntarily to anti-drug and anti-alcohol treatment in order to stay in the league. Lucas played four more years in the NBA, averaging at age 33 a career-high 17.5 points in 1986-87, before settling into a reserve role the next three years.

After successfully undergoing drug rehabilitation, and starting programs of his own to help other athletes rehabilitate, Lucas returned to the NBA as a coach, eventually becoming a head coach of the San Antonio Spurs."

Does that sound like Mr McCombs is racist? Frankly, he sounds like an extremely forgiving person, someone willing to take a risk and give a person a second chance. In my experience, that's way more than a lot of people would be inclined to do, especially in the high stake business of professional sports. Just sayin.

I never bought into the racist bit, but I did understand why people could go that way, i.e., old, southern money, blah, blah...

He's just an old rich coot that says what's on his mind and believes his donated money gives him that right. His remarks were condescending and demeaning, but not so much racist.

As for Lucas...he's just a great success story. Know his history very well.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
I see no one else has posted anything positive about Mr. McCombs manning up and apologizing for his comments, but I guess that's not surprising.

Oh, please. One day you're excusing his comments, the next you're looking for praise because he walked them back. You didn't seem to think had to apologize for anything, yet here you are tsk-tsking. Inaccurately, to boot.

Reaction Score
I never bought into the racist bit, but I did understand why people could go that way, i.e., old, southern money, blah, blah...

He's just an old rich coot that says what's on his mind and believes his donated money gives him that right. His remarks were condescending and demeaning, but not so much racist.

As for Lucas...he's just a great success story. Know his history very well.

I thought his comment was really odd. Apparently in owning two franchises he had a good record in minority hires. But saying Strong would probably make a good position coach is very insulting.

When rich guys make decisions they always go after the big splash. They always favor the Grudens and Spurriers. And it usually becomes another mistake.

Husky25

Dink & Dunk beat the Greatest Show on Turf.
Reaction Score
I thought his comment was really odd. Apparently in owning two franchises he had a good record in minority hires. But saying Strong would probably make a good position coach is very insulting.

When rich guys make decisions they always go after the big splash. They always favor the Grudens and Spurriers. And it usually becomes another mistake.
I didn't realize you were a Redskins fan as well.

Husky25

Dink & Dunk beat the Greatest Show on Turf.
Reaction Score
Not really. But that owner is very predictable.
As a 31 year veteran 'Skins fan, I am sort of happy they hired Jay as opposed to going after John. Snyder seemed to be taking the Bob Kraft route when he hired Bruce Allen, but then reverted back to his old ways late last season. It's been a frustrating 14 years. :eek:

cttxus

The CT-TX-US Connection: Historic, Alive and Well
Reaction Score
Oh, please. One day you're excusing his comments, the next you're looking for praise because he walked them back. You didn't seem to think had to apologize for anything, yet here you are tsk-tsking. Inaccurately, to boot.
I love you, too, man.

Reaction Score
It goes to the definition of program. That doesn't mean any individual team in any individual year but rather what the program has been and is over history and present day. I think Louisville fits squarely into the definition of a mid-tier (not to be confused with mid-major in basketball). They are not at the level of Alabama, Ohio State, USC, Texas, FSU and several others who would be in that "top tier." There is also a whole group of historically great programs who have had some rough times recently (i.e. Tennessee, Michigan, Nebraska, etc.) who I would put somewhere in the "upper middle class" and still above Louisville as a program.

Someone made a post about this last off-season (or the one before) trying to categorize all the FBS football programs (or at least the BCS qualifiers).

Frankly, Louisville is at best mid-tier. One or two years does not make your school top tier.

Ohio State, Texas, Alabama, Michigan, Oklahoma, Florida, Florida State, Penn State, Nebraska, USC, Oregon, Notre Dame, Miami, LSU, Auburn...all these are "Top Tier" programs, programs with which Louisville does not belong.

(Neither does UConn, obviously, but just saying).

OK guys I can agree to disagree and realize we look at things a little differently. I understand the perception of what is called top-tier but the separation of elite, top-tier, mid-tier, lower-tier has to be made somewhere. I do not put all my stock in polls but let's be real, there are a few teams listed above that have not been in the top 25 in years.

I consider teams getting it done at the time top tier. I get your points of the schools of tradition and large stadiums along with the following, but Louisville has done enough to be recognized more recently than some you present. Of course with their coach heading to Texas that may turn the tables as Texas was not even mentioned this year, he may bring them back.

Again no pizzing match but I go back long enough to remember when UCLA and St. Bonaventure were top tier in basketball. Times and status continually change regardless of our romance of the overall view of the sport. UCONN men and women basketball are both considered top tier programs. Will they remain that way? Only if they continually stay in the top 25. They are all where they are when they are, perception does not change reality....Although sometimes I would like it too....

Reaction Score
OK guys I can agree to disagree and realize we look at things a little differently. I understand the perception of what is called top-tier but the separation of elite, top-tier, mid-tier, lower-tier has to be made somewhere. I do not put all my stock in polls but let's be real, there are a few teams listed above that have not been in the top 25 in years.

I consider teams getting it done at the time top tier. I get your points of the schools of tradition and large stadiums along with the following, but Louisville has done enough to be recognized more recently than some you present. Of course with their coach heading to Texas that may turn the tables as Texas was not even mentioned this year, he may bring them back.
The only name on that list that hasn't played for--or won--a national championship in the last decade or so is Penn State. From 2002-now, Louisville has finished in the Top 10 only twice--and those were a while back.

I respect what Louisville has been able to do with good coaches, but your school is nowhere near that top level.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stanfordnyc

Top Bottom