Kevin Willard: "...I can't tell recruits, 'You know what it's like to play at Tulane and East Carolina?" | Page 3 | The Boneyard

Kevin Willard: "...I can't tell recruits, 'You know what it's like to play at Tulane and East Carolina?"

Reaction Score
The leagues are headed in opposite directions.
Based on what? Certainly not recruiting, ncaa tourney seeding, or media exposure......so what is leading you to this conclusion?

Reaction Score
Based on what? Certainly not recruiting, ncaa tourney seeding, or media exposure.so what is leading you to this conclusion?
The 2018/2019 season.

And the fact that the ZBE is based in Providence.

Reaction Score
I think Cooley is a pretty good guy and a good coach. My brother went to PC and said he used to work out in the students gym and would talk to all the kids about the team and upcoming games. Anyone ever see the video of him and Hurley going at it when Hurley was at URI?

which year!?

Reaction Score
Do you realize making a sweeping generalization based on one year is not likely to be accurate?

Reaction Score
Seton Hall coach Kevin Willard said at Big East media day that he can’t use UConn’s geographical disadvantages anymore. “I can’t tell recruits, ‘You know what it’s like to play at Tulane, East Carolina and those places?’”

“We didn’t talk about it either,” Hurley said, jokingly.

Rasputin

The Mad Monk
Reaction Score
I think Cooley is a pretty good guy and a good coach. My brother went to PC and said he used to work out in the students gym and would talk to all the kids about the team and upcoming games. Anyone ever see the video of him and Hurley going at it when Hurley was at URI?
My son also went to PC and worked out at the gym with Cooley. One day my son and I were at Buffalo Wild Wings in Milford and Cooley came in. He spotted my son and came over and spoke to us for about 15 minutes. My son really liked him and he seemed like a good dude to me.

Reaction Score
UConn took a run at it. If we had any leadership after Perkins we wouldn’t be having this conversation.

What about the "rock star"? Don't forget, it's 2019 and "image is everything" when you're a President who has no clue what she's doing.

Reaction Score
It’s kind of funny that Willard even mentioned this considering that he never beat UConn for any recruit since he got to Seton Hall anyway. And no, Powell doesn’t count, because KO stopped recruiting him after we got Vance Jackson (which a lot of people here were justifiably upset about).

It was definitely intended as a compliment from Willard, but I found funny because outside of Glen Miller/KO getting fired, we never stopped eating Seton Hall and PCs lunch.

PC got both Reeves and Duke, who were highly rated New England kids. Does your statement mean we never recruited them?

Reaction Score
Could shave his head...
Or go with a nice tight fade. Either would look a million times better.

I believe both suffer from auto-immune diseases. Charlie has alopecia areata universalis (total loss of hair), while Cooley likely has vitiligo (loss of pigmentation in the skin and ), maybe with some hair loss too, but I can't be sure because I haven't ever stayed in a Holiday Inn Express.

If Cooley's issue is vitiligo he may some day have his whole head (and maybe more) lose its pigmentation and become totally white. There was an African-American teller in a local bank in WMass who, over the course of 5-6 years, went from medium tone skin on her face and hands to increasingly larger patches of non-pigmented (white) skin and eventually became Michael Jackson without the skin bleaching. When I last saw her she had a few freckles but otherwise looked like anyone's white, older, mother.

Reaction Score
It becomes more and more obvious on selection Sunday that the Big East has a lot more respect with the committee compared to the AAC. That goes for the number of teams selected, and seeding. Last season, Temple won 23 games and was 13-5 in the league...they were an 11 seed. Cincy won the AAC Tournament, had 28 wins going into Selection Sunday...they were a 7 seed. Finally, Houston was 31-3 entering Selection Sunday, and they were a 3 seed.

For me, that was one of the most discouraging parts of being in the AAC. What was our only chance of getting a top 4 seed? Did we need to win 30+ games a year and the conference tournament to have a shot?
Cincinnati got a 2-seed the year before that. So I'm not sure that's a great argument.

Reaction Score
I was never against UConn making a run for it in football. I was always against them doing it at the expense of basketball.

That's where things went wrong.

Reaction Score
Cincinnati got a 2-seed the year before that. So I'm not sure that's a great argument.
And they won 31 games and the conference tournament to get that 2 seed. Which was his point

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
I was never against UConn making a run for it in football. I was always against them doing it at the expense of basketball.

It entertains me that FB fans blame basketball (they threw FB under the bus for BB) and BB fans blame football (we joined the American for football.) Neither is accurate.

Reactions: pj
Reaction Score
The leagues are headed in opposite directions.

I guess I must have imagined Villanova steamrolling everyone in it's path to win the National Title all the way back in....2018. You know the same year Xavier got a....1 seed.

Houston went 32-2 last year and got a...3 seed.

The Big East had it's weakest year last year and was still better as a whole than the AAC. And the Big East has a whole is predicted to be much better than the AAC as a whole in 2020. Shattering your argument.

As long as BET is at MSG and AAC is in Memphis or some arena called Dickies in Fort Worth the BE will be the better league.

Last edited:
Reaction Score

So now basketball is doing the same thing to football. My father and his brother used to play basketball at the old Norwalk Armory. My dad was pretty good.his brother was a bit older so before my time. I think my uncle played for the Redmen but not sure. My sister in law has theold pictures so I must take a run down to Norwalk get them.they don’t mean anything to her but they mean a lot to me and my sons.

Please forgive me for rattilig on a feature of old age.

pj

Reaction Score
Football may do better as an independent than in the AAC. We'll see.

Basketball will do better in the Big East.

Ultimately, both sports depend on the brand of the university as a whole. If football can consistently make a schedule of P5 teams, the Florida AAC teams, and northeastern teams, and get a bowl affiliation, they'll be able to recruit. Such a schedule may end up more attractive than an AAC schedule. And with UConn in control of its football media rights, they may be able to arrange more visibility than the AAC could give them. I think the move is going to work out well for football as well as basketball.

Reaction Score
The AAC has always gotten cheated on seeding more times that not. How about in 2014 when Louisville was ranked like #5 in the country, won the AAC Tournament, and they were a 4 seed. That was bull

glastonbury50

You Enjoy Myself
Reaction Score
My son also went to PC and worked out at the gym with Cooley. One day my son and I were at Buffalo Wild Wings in Milford and Cooley came in. He spotted my son and came over and spoke to us for about 15 minutes. My son really liked him and he seemed like a good dude to me.
Ya Cooley is the man.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
twdaylor104

Top Bottom