Kevin Willard: "...I can't tell recruits, 'You know what it's like to play at Tulane and East Carolina?" | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Kevin Willard: "...I can't tell recruits, 'You know what it's like to play at Tulane and East Carolina?"

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
Cooley's opinion is only right in hindsight. If Jurich doesn't go on a weekend tour of the ACC in November 2012, handing out envelopes of cash along with hookers and blow for every president and AD that wanted them, while Warde is hanging out by the pool in the Bahamas, UConn is in the ACC and the football upgrade looks like genius. Once Louisville got the last spot, the football program was in deep trouble.

David 76

Forty years a fan
Reaction Score
I don’t know if you needling me or you never heard this saying. You do me a favor and at the same time it works for you also.
Please no nasty comments.

Just being silly

Reaction Score
It’s kind of funny that Willard even mentioned this considering that he never beat UConn for any recruit since he got to Seton Hall anyway. And no, Powell doesn’t count, because KO stopped recruiting him after we got Vance Jackson (which a lot of people here were justifiably upset about).

It was definitely intended as a compliment from Willard, but I found funny because outside of Glen Miller/KO getting fired, we never stopped eating Seton Hall and PCs lunch.

Husky25

Dink & Dunk beat the Greatest Show on Turf.
Reaction Score
what’s wrong with Ed cooley’s post. What he said is true.Will people stop looking at everything with husky colored glasses makes having any discussion about anything impossible
Tough to argue with most of his observations. They seem to be on target.

He said what he said with the advantage of hindsight. I'll stand behind Ed Daigneault.

Reaction Score
Equating a hair disease to cancer. Good god some of you need a Xanax.

Reaction Score
If UConn was abkle to win in the AAC it would have made no difference. That's the truth.
You fail to recognize the Leagues geographical disadvantage the league was for recruiting. Quotes from many recruits should tell you that fact. Kids from the northeast don’t wanna play at Tulsa and ecu, you may not want to admit that but by and large it’s true. This is not a Ben mentioning fan interest in these games

Reaction Score
I didn't equate it to cancer. Charlie V doesn't have cancer and neither does Ed Cooley. They both have diseases though and can't do anything about the way they look. Making fun of that is pathetic.
Could shave his head...
Or go with a nice tight fade. Either would look a million times better.

Reaction Score
what’s wrong with Ed cooley’s post. What he said is true.Will people stop looking at everything with husky colored glasses makes having any discussion about anything impossible

If we stop looking at the Huskies with blue colored glasses who will?

Reaction Score
Here are the results from the 2019 NCAA Tournament. That would be a good answer for Cooley. It's almost like BYers have no idea of the relative strengths of the two leagues.

AAC

Record: 3-4*

Eliminated: Houston (Sweet 16), UCF (R32), Cincinnati (R64), Temple (First Four) *Temple lost in First Four

Big East

Record: 1-4*

Eliminated: Villanova (R32), Marquette (R64), Seton Hall (R64), St. John’s (First Four)
*St. John’s lost in First Four

Reaction Score
Here are the results from the 2019 NCAA Tournament. That would be a good answer for Cooley. It's almost like BYers have no idea of the relative strengths of the two leagues.

AAC

Record: 3-4*

Eliminated: Houston (Sweet 16), UCF (R32), Cincinnati (R64), Temple (First Four) *Temple lost in First Four

Big East

Record: 1-4*

Eliminated: Villanova (R32), Marquette (R64), Seton Hall (R64), St. John’s (First Four)
*St. John’s lost in First Four
Yep, stick with your nonsense that the AAC is better than the Big East in basketball. Your ability to always be wrong is second to none, it's like you take pride in it...

Last year was by far the worst year for the Big East and by far the best year for the AAC and the Big East was still better than the AAC. The Big East has been (4th, 3rd, 4th, 3rd, 2nd and 5th) best conference in the country and the American has been the (8th, 8th, 8th, 7th, 7th, and 6th.)

Memphis is the only preseason team from the AAC in the top 25, you could stretch that to the top 35 and they would still be the only team listed. Big East kills the AAC in recruiting as well. With UConn joining the Big East again next year the differences between the leagues will be even more stark.

Reaction Score
Yep, stick with your nonsense that the AAC is better than the Big East in basketball. Your ability to always be wrong is second to none, it's like you take pride in it...

Last year was by far the worst year for the Big East and by far the best year for the AAC and the Big East was still better than the AAC. The Big East has been (4th, 3rd, 4th, 3rd, 2nd and 5th) best conference in the country and the American has been the (8th, 8th, 8th, 7th, 7th, and 6th.)

Memphis is the only preseason team from the AAC in the top 25, you could stretch that to the top 35 and they would still be the only team listed. Big East kills the AAC in recruiting as well. With UConn joining the Big East again next year the differences between the leagues will be even more stark.
The leagues are headed in opposite directions.

MattMang23

Adding Nothing to the Conversation
Reaction Score

61707548-CC88-4406-B207-10AB4137BC0A.gif

Reaction Score
I don't think anyone can deny the AAC is getting better. But to say the leagues are going in opposite directions is absurd. Is UCONN getting better? If the answer is yes, the Big East is also getting better.

Reaction Score
It becomes more and more obvious on selection Sunday that the Big East has a lot more respect with the committee compared to the AAC. That goes for the number of teams selected, and seeding. Last season, Temple won 23 games and was 13-5 in the league...they were an 11 seed. Cincy won the AAC Tournament, had 28 wins going into Selection Sunday...they were a 7 seed. Finally, Houston was 31-3 entering Selection Sunday, and they were a 3 seed.

For me, that was one of the most discouraging parts of being in the AAC. What was our only chance of getting a top 4 seed? Did we need to win 30+ games a year and the conference tournament to have a shot?

Reaction Score
When the Big East was a major football conference, it was worth the gamble for UConn to invest in football, but not in the AAC. There's not enough local players available, and they're competing with Syracuse, BC, Rutgers, etc for them. Without the Power schools TV contract, it just becomes a financial black hole with no chance to get payback.

From the early '90s until the end recently, UConn was as good as any basketball program in the country, and that's where their focus needs to be.

Reaction Score
When the Big East was a major football conference, it was worth the gamble for UConn to invest in football, but not in the AAC. There's not enough local players available, and they're competing with Syracuse, BC, Rutgers, etc for them. Without the Power schools TV contract, it just becomes a financial black hole with no chance to get payback.

From the early '90s until the end recently, UConn was as good as any basketball program in the country, and that's where their focus needs to be.

I can't wait for us to leave this crappy conference.

Let's look at 2014 the year we won the National Title as 7 seed. We had the Number 23 RPI in the country we won 26 games in the Regular Season had the 7th toughest strength of schedule. We got a 7 seed. Louisville was 26-5 with an RPI of 19 and won the AAC tournament and were ranked in the top 5 in both polls and they got a 4 seed.

This conference gets no respect and I am glad to be done with it. Looking forward to leaving this conference with the championship then being like Medusa and dropping the trophy in the trash. Back to the Big East!!!!

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
twdaylor104

Top Bottom