Kevin Ware | Page 3 | The Boneyard

Kevin Ware

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
I am going to pass on looking for it. Based on this thread can I assume he was in the air, landed somehow and SNAP(!!!!)...out comes bone, down goes Ware in agonizing pain?

Flew out at a three-point shooter - no contact with another player at all. It's only speculation, but there's a theory that as he was landing he was concerned (perhaps merely instinctively) about tumbling off the elevated court so he tried to stop himself as he landed. No way to know - i doubt Ware would even remember what was going through his mind beforehand. Either way, he came down with all his weight on one leg and it didn't hold.

Reaction Score
Never seen an injury like that in basketball. His leg just gave out and it was horrific to see. Amazing that he kept it together to tell his teammates to get back out there and win the game.

Dove

Part of the 2%
Reaction Score
Flew out at a three-point shooter - no contact with another player at all. It's only speculation, but there's a theory that as he was landing he was concerned (perhaps merely instinctively) about tumbling off the elevated court so he tried to stop himself as he landed. No way to know - i doubt Ware would even remember what was going through his mind beforehand. Either way, he came down with all his weight on one leg and it didn't hold.
Thanks. I can imagine it now.

Reaction Score
I hate to ask this but did his bone break through the skin?

It sure did. There's an absolutely horrific up-close picture of it floating around now. I won't even link it, but it vividly and clearly shows about 4 inches of bloody tibia bone sticking out of his leg.

It's honestly one of the most gruesome pictures I've ever seen.

Reaction Score
http://www.usatoday.com/story/sport...n-ware-successful-broken-leg-surgery/2041241/

"An open fracture could have been caused simply by the amount of force and the angle at which Ware landed after leaping to challenge a Duke shot, Roberts said. "It looks like what we call a bending fracture—like snapping a pencil with your finger," he said. "There was a significant amount of force, and the angle looked about right."

There is a video/view from the other end of the court (from top of basket). You can see him rotating in mid-air to face basket as he lands. All weight onto right legs. Just bad physics...

"As for returning to the sport, Roberts thought Ware's prognosis was good. "There's a very high likelihood that we'll see him play again," he said."

Reaction Score
I hate to ask this but did his bone break through the skin?

Yes, the skin is not that strong. A paper cut will breach it, a bone pooping out with that much force is no match. Fortunately its now reset and the open wound closed.

Amazing how a day after it seems like a temporary discomfort (i.e. rod, cast, etc..).

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Dr. Reed Estes, assistant professor of orthopedic surgery at the University of Alabama at Birmingham, and team physician for the UAB football team, said basketball players are prone to stress fractures in the tibia, the larger of the two leg bones, and that can weaken them.
''If these are not detected they can result in a full fracture, particularly if the landing mechanics are just right'' after a jump, Estes said. Surgery to stabilize the bones is usually successful, and Ware should be fine to play next season, he said.
Dr. Frederick Azar, head of the Campbell Clinic in Memphis, Tenn., and a spokesman for the American Academy of Orthopaedic Surgeons, said Ware ''jumped pretty far horizontally and vertically, and he landed with a twist,'' which puts so much torsion and stress on the bones they could have just snapped. He agreed with Estes' assessment that a stress fracture could have made Ware more prone to such an injury.
Glad to hear it isn't the bone cancer scenario that, with the best of intentions, was being kicking around here yesterday. Man that was an ugly, ugly injury. Glad to hear he'll be ok.

UChusky916

Making the board a little less insufferable
Reaction Score
For those who want to confirm it was a compound fracture, do a google image search "Kevin Ware close up"

Not a good idea if you have a weak stomach though.

Glad to hear he's recovering well. Proud of both UL basketball programs for their wins last night.

Reaction Score
Washington Post - Kevin Ware’s gruesome injury likely just bad luck. Safe for the quasey - no pictures.

"It’s a torsional injury,” said Craig H. Bennett, head orthopedic surgeon for the Maryland Terrapins, who has seen only one similar injury in the past decade. “It’s a rotational injury, and all the stress gets concentrated on one area.”

Normally, he said, knee or ankle ligaments would absorb the stress of Ware’s twisting leap, tearing if the forces were too great or simply doing their job and sending him back to the game. But Ware landed in just the wrong way, Bennett believes, and the result was an injury that likely will be remembered for as long a the NCAA tournament is played.

Another, less likely, possibility, said Frederic Azar, an orthopedic surgeon and spokesman for the American Academy of Orthopedic Surgeons, is that Ware had a weak spot in the bone, possibly from an undiagnosed stress fracture. Such fractures can result from the constant pounding on a basketball player’s legs, or, more rarely, can be caused by a benign tumor."

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stanfordnyc

Top Bottom