Kevin Ware | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Kevin Ware

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
I'm pretty hardened - but that was probably the most horrific I've seen on a basketball court. You involuntarily squeeze your legs together like seeing someone take one in the nads.

Wishes for speedy recovery and kudos to the Ville for re-grouping and playing lights out the second half.

Reaction Score
I have a much harder time watching sports injuries where someone dies or gets paralyzed. I've seen many athletes have the same type of injury as Ware had, Napolean McCallum's leg injury was harder to watch.

Fair point. The broken legs/bloody injuries partially just make you turn away because they look so painful, and you don't see that with a spinal/cardiac issue. But it is understandable if the ones where you know the consequences are awful are harder to watch.

Reaction Score
I don't know if any of you are watching the Louisville Duke game but Kevin Ware just severely broke his leg. It was very gruesome. All of our thoughts and prayers should be for a speedy recovery. Many players couldn't watch and there are reports that players were vomiting on the sidelines. Many players were crying. Sad. Once again we should express sympathy for him.
Horrible, I'm told that is the worst kind of break and is called green stick.

Reaction Score
Horrible, I'm told that is the worst kind of break and is called green stick.

I'd be extremely surprised if that gets categorized as a green stick fx. They normally happen in children and are incomplete in nature (hence like when bending or twisting a green stick). That looked pretty complete and compound to me. Could be wrong but...

Reaction Score
I'm worried about Ware. With announcers saying they've never seen anything like that ever before in a basketball game--think about that-- our friend (a head radiologist) and my wife (also in medical field) both made the same exact comment immediately afterward. Considering the way it happened and the bone involved, they both suspected there may be something else going on in his bone --hopefully not--but they were both independently suspicious. Thoughts and prayers.

Reaction Score
I'm worried about Ware. With announcers saying they've never seen anything like that ever before in a basketball game--think about that-- our friend (a head radiologist) and my wife (also in medical field) both made the same exact comment immediately afterward. Considering the way it happened and the bone involved, they both suspected there may be something else going on in his bone --hopefully not--but they were both independently suspicious. Thoughts and prayers.

Agreed - immediate thought was undiagnosed stress fractures.

Reaction Score
When Marcus Lattimores leg broke that was horrible as well. Leg did something horrendous like Wares. Now look at Lattimore. He's preparing and trying to show NFL teams that he worthy of being drafted or signed. Anything is possible.

Reaction Score
Give me a worse example??? I post an opinion you go. NO.

How about Mike Utley Dennis Byrd, Darryl Stingley, Alex Zanardi,

It's a horrific injury no doubt and god bless the young man and I hope like hell he makes a full recovery and lives his dream of the NBA, but not close to the worse sports injury

phillionaire

esta noche somos mantequilla
Reaction Score
louisville is gonna win the tournament. nobody's even playing close to their level, and now they have extra motivation.

Reaction Score
image.jpg

Reaction Score
i 'm rooting for Ware to return obviously but also Ville to win it all. I have no hard feelings against them, they had to go to the ACC with the invite as we would. use and Pitt different story.

Reaction Score
I hate to say it, but I bet this comes as some type of bone cancer. It was just him landing. I really feel bad for the kid.

UCweCONN

Former Poster
Reaction Score
I hate to say it, but I bet this comes as some type of bone cancer. It was just him landing. I really feel bad for the kid.
I tend to agree and recall an NFL player that had something similar where a break led to a cancer diagnosis which ended his playing career but saved his life. Regardless is that's the case or not, it's going to be a huge longshot for him to come back again. Sam Bowie comes to mind. Basketball is such a physically demanding sport. Theismann couldn't come back and NFL quarterbacks take much less pounding on their legs than guards in basketball. Let's hope for the best for the kid.

Reaction Score
Well, bone cancer is exactly what my radiologist friend suspected when it happened. Hopefully (if true) this will save him. It can otherwise go undetected for years till its too late. It's always foolish to predict such things, but lets hope for the best.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
You know, I just pray for the kid. Horrific, horrific injury.

Reaction Score
@YahooForde: Kevin Ware update: successful two-hour surgery, per UL release. Bone re-set, injury closed and rod inserted in right tibia.

Good news.

Reaction Score
I hate to ask this but did his bone break through the skin?

Reaction Score
I saw it live, wasn't sure, my wife insisted the bone was protruding, I thought it was his sock. I'll pass on seeing it again. Yuck, prayers and best wishes to the kid.

Reaction Score
I definitely did. I saw somewhere that a player or coach was saying that it came out by almost 6 inches. Just gruesome.

Dove

Part of the 2%
Reaction Score
I am going to pass on looking for it. Based on this thread can I assume he was in the air, landed somehow and SNAP(!!!!)...out comes bone, down goes Ware in agonizing pain?

Reaction Score
I hate to ask this but did his bone break through the skin?

Yes. It was a compound fracture, in which case, the bone breaks through the skin. Pitino said the bone was protruding six inches.

There are clips where you can see the exposed bone in slomo before the leg snaps back as he is falling on his back.
Extremely gruesome. At least CBS did not show those clips!

Reaction Score
I am going to pass on looking for it. Based on this thread can I assume he was in the air, landed somehow and SNAP(!!!!)...out comes bone, down goes Ware in agonizing pain?

Yes, very close to that.

Reaction Score
Yea, it was weird though. The fall he took, I don't know would normally end up with a result like that.

I thought the way the rest of his leg looked was much more disturbing than the bone...but the whole thing was just terrible.

Good to hear successful surgery. Hoping for a full recovery.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stanfordnyc

Top Bottom