Kevin Ollie | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Kevin Ollie

• Thread starter Deleted member 3149
  • Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
My only beef with Ollie today was that pocket square, which I thought was a little loud for the outfit, generally. Solid white would have been my preference.
I "liked" it, even though I don't know what a "pocket square" is.

Reaction Score
Cheeky said:
I "liked" it, even though I don't know what a "pocket square" is.

The pocket square was the inbounds play where four guys form a square 50 feet from the guy with the ball, and then put their hands in their pockets while the ref counts to five.

Sorry - my second joke about that moment in two different threads. I only laugh since we won.

Reaction Score
I think starting both Brimah and Nolan was a brilliant stroke of genius given the match ups with SMU.
Being at the game I was a little confused at what the defensive help principles were with the bigs. I wish I had taped it.
I was at the first Tulane game in New Orleans. KO went over in the middle of a point and slammed the scorers table so hard that a drink flew off and had to be cleaned up. It was totally missed on TV.

Reaction Score
I think starting both Brimah and Nolan was a brilliant stroke of genius given the match ups with SMU.
Being at the game I was a little confused at what the defensive help principles were with the bigs. I wish I had taped it.
This may be the 3rd straight game with that lineup. Maybe we were preparing for this game, but it did not come out of nowhere today.

Reaction Score
I have complete faith that KO knows what he is doing. This year hes been showing a lot more emotion and I honestly believe thats a good thing. It seems like the team responds very well to a fired up KO.

Reaction Score
KO made great adjustments today packing it inside and daring everyone other than Nic Moore to shoot 3's. He's also getting a lot more fired up lately which I like.

Reaction Score
My only beef with Ollie today was that pocket square, which I thought was a little loud for the outfit, generally. Solid white would have been my preference.
Some posters wearing rose colored glasses will say it looked beautiful.

Reaction Score

I liked it. Very ordinary usually brought some passion to the outfit, and game. Usually very blue on blue, gray on gray I noticed early this outfit had some flash for KO

willie99

Loving life & enjoying the ride, despite the bumps
Reaction Score
Impressive list, to be sure.

But he'll never beat Jim Calhoun, which some twisted minds will always hold against him.

And Shaka Smart. Hasn't beaten SS, has he? There are yarders who still hold that we'd have been better off with Smart.

silly, and I'm one of the biggest JC jockstraps alive

willie99

Loving life & enjoying the ride, despite the bumps
Reaction Score
I like the fire in Ollie yesterday, it's about damn time too

now go get a T when they screw AB :D

Reaction Score
Completely disagree. The pocket square complimented the tie is a monochromatic way that only high style people can comprehend. Nice suit too, could have been a Brioni. No Mens Warehouse for KO.:)

Reaction Score
You misunderstand my comments. There were yarders upset with Ollie's style just a few weeks ago. They wanted the fire on the sidelines instead of KO's stoicism. In some minds, he'll never be as good as JC, and that means he was the wrong hire. I don't agree with it, but that seems to be the sentiment sometimes. And yes, there were some posters with 'shaka envy' who seemed to be waiting for our first stumble under KO to voice the "boy, we should have gone after shaka" argument.

It's very likely that KO is never as good as Calhoun. Calhoun is one of the very best college coaches of all-time. Of course, that doesn't mean that Ollie wasn't the right hire. It would be ridiculous to expect anyone, whether Ollie, or Shaka Smart, or Brad Stevens, to be as good as Calhoun was.

ctchamps

We are UConn!! 4>1 But 5>>>>1 is even better!
Reaction Score
It's very likely that KO is never as good as Calhoun. Calhoun is one of the very best college coaches of all-time. Of course, that doesn't mean that Ollie wasn't the right hire. It would be ridiculous to expect anyone, whether Ollie, or Shaka Smart, or Brad Stevens, to be as good as Calhoun was.
I don't know. It's more likely that if we let things play out we'll find out how the successor does relative to the master. No matter what, we have one legacy coach and one coach whose career has already exceeded our wildest expectations. I'm glad I'm a UConn fan. I'm also glad I'm not a (insert a whole lot of teams here) fan!

ctchamps

We are UConn!! 4>1 But 5>>>>1 is even better!
Reaction Score
It seems to me that KO has chosen to take a more calculated approach to when and whom he shows that fire.

Young team with different personalities needs selective coaxing. Constant screaming, screaming at people with fragile egos or mistimed screaming will cause people to tune out, crawl into a shell or minimize impact.

Best thing about KO is he's not afraid to reevaluate his approach. He doesn't quickly abandon things but he doesn't hang on to things forever. Some one wrote in this forum that KO made a decision about 6 or 7 games ago to change how they approach the players.

A lot of dudes could have his resume of getting tutelage from some of the best coaches in the game and still come out none the wiser. Not KO imo. He evaluates what they do, and implements what he thinks is beneficial. And I think he really understands people. That's a terrific combo which is why I had ten toes in even before he was selected, kept them in when he was selected, had them in during this entire season and will have them in as long as he coaches UConn.

Reaction Score

...and equally ridiculous to have expected Smart or Stevens to have done what Ollie has in three years. He's only 6-0 in his first six NCAA games of his career, with wins agains bums named Martelli, Wright, Hoiberg, Izzo, Donovan and Calipari.

I would have been happy with Smart or Stevens. I'm downright giddy with Ollie, though.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CT2SC

Top Bottom