Kevin Ollie mania about to take over college basketball | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Kevin Ollie mania about to take over college basketball

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
A good person who happens to coach, lead, motivate, teach, and parent rather well. Yup, that's KO. National championship coach, and Connecticut alumnus KO!
He is way beyond "good person" status in my world. He's a Great Man.

Reaction Score
I just saw this, can you all perceive the impact this will have on recruiting in the years to come??? Imagine being a 17 year old, african-american (dont mean to stereotype but thats usually the case) who sees a young, energetic guy like Kevin Ollie who speaks like him, looks like him, impresses his parents with his composure (and religious beliefs), and just came off an incredible NCAA Championship run in the VERY FIRST YEAR he was eligible. I have no doubt in my mind, that in the future UConn will have a UK, KU, UNC, DUKE level of attraction to recruits. Great season guys, and long live Kevin Ollie, Shabazz Napier, and most importantly UConn Basketball.

Yes. I think our recruiting suffered at times late in JC's career because he couldn't connect with today's high school athletes the way that KO can.

KO has the perfect combination of smarts, toughness, discipline and, yes, credibility among 16-22-year-olds, that allows him to get that buy-in from the kids. No team is going to quit on KO.

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score
Yes. I think our recruiting suffered at times late in JC's career because he couldn't connect with today's high school athletes the way that KO can.

Honestly, I think it was more the fact that they weren't even sure he was going to be there by their second year. He was old and walking wounded. Remember, Ollie and co were on the recruiting trail.

intlzncster

Reaction Score
I'm not sure how to handle this. For years we had a coach that we loved, but a lot of people hated. Now the entire world is in love with KO, even the damn squid.

+1. Personally, I'd prefer to be hated in sports. Ultimate sign of respect.

But I'll take Ollie over any other coach right now, college or pro.

intlzncster

Reaction Score
Stevens is a solid coach, but always thought he was a tad overrated. Calhoun took him out to the woodshed in every facet of the game in 2011. That game was ugly, but was also a clinic in game-planning and outcoaching the other guy.

Let's face it though. UCONN's guys were way better than their guys. No one on the floor compared to Walker. And as evidenced by Shabazz last night, that counts for a whole hell of a lot.

Reaction Score
Stevens is a solid coach, but always thought he was a tad overrated. Calhoun took him out to the woodshed in every facet of the game in 2011. That game was ugly, but was also a clinic in game-planning and outcoaching the other guy.

Wow. Stevens and Calhoun were not coaching with equal talent that day. Not even in the same stratospheres of talent.

Reaction Score
I think one of Ollie's greatest attributes is even the guys that aren't getting any minutes love him.

His communication, honesty & vision seem to be off the charts. He preaches Team & individual responsibility & they all seem to respond.

It's never about what they can't do. He has a way of putting a positive spin on everything & focuses on hard work as a way to achieve the end result.

Recruits are going to line-up to play for this guy!

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
Let's face it though. UCONN's guys were way better than their guys. No one on the floor compared to Walker. And as evidenced by Shabazz last night, that counts for a whole hell of a lot.

Agreed. That was the biggest mismatch I've ever seen in a championship game. I didn't even enjoy it. I enjoyed the title, but the game was like watching someone kick a puppy over and over. Last night....that I enjoyed immensely!

Reaction Score
He is the perfect candidate to be an assistant and eventually head coach for USA basketball when Coach K and the nose-picker finally decide to move along.

intlzncster

Reaction Score
Agreed. That was the biggest mismatch I've ever seen in a championship game. I didn't even enjoy it. I enjoyed the title, but the game was like watching someone kick a puppy over and over. Last night....that I enjoyed immensely!

I enjoyed the finish, but I'm not going to lie, I was uncomfortably pacing most of the game!

Hans Sprungfeld

Undecided
Reaction Score
Yeah, I remember talking to Ollie very quickly when he was in my dorm a couple days after the big providence win (donny's clapping and KO going the length of the court) and telling him what an awesome drive that was. He was incredibly gracious even then.

Any known/linkable video clip of that one?
I prefer it to Tyus Edney vs. Missouri.

intlzncster

Reaction Score
tweet from a Rivals(recruiting) reporter
Eric Bossi
@ebosshoops

Working a column on Kevin Ollie and UConn this morning. The amount of respect Ollie has from people is unreal.

ace, can you post that when it comes out? I can't keep up with all this stuff.

Reaction Score
Reaction Score
Found this neat website that you can put text into many different backgrounds, went ahead and made a rough draft of Olliewood

2ih9jdv.jpg

Here's the site:
http://hollywood.signgenerator.org/

Reaction Score
A good person who happens to coach, lead, motivate, teach, and parent rather well. Yup, that's KO. National championship coach, and Connecticut alumnus KO!
It seems fairly obvious that Storrs Ct. is going to be a very sought out direction for a lot of young, talented kids because you've got a coach who knows the game, whose an excellent teacher of basketball skills and more importantly of life. I can say that Kevin has done a simply marvelous job this year and in light of the extraordinarily tough home life that he and his family have endured over the past year, it's even that much more remarkable. The breast cancer his Mom has been fighting, the loss of his father-in-law just four months ago and the stress that all this has had on him and his wife. Speaking of his wife, she sounds like an extraordinary person helping and caring for Kevin's Mom while still mourning her father's passing. Kevin's faith in God, in himself and in his team and the university are all worn on his sleeve and he's so REAL! What parent wouldn't want his kid playing for a man of such moral fiber whose just directed his team to a national championship in his first year of tournament eligibility???? What kid wouldn't want to play for a coach whose had such a remarkable influence on top players in the NBA like Kevin Durant. I can only imagine how much the recruits Kevin's got coming in next year are biting at the bit to be coached by this very special man. Isn't it great to be a Huskie??????????????????????????

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Vincent22

Top Bottom