Kevin Freeman stepping down from coaching, but will remain at UConn | Page 3 | The Boneyard

Kevin Freeman stepping down from coaching, but will remain at UConn

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
The staying with the university is the weirdest part. I could see him going if he got a head coaching gig at a small school or something but leaving MBB but still staying at the university? Something's up.

Edit: See his reasoning in posts below. He wanted more time to spend with his family.

Last edited:

krinklecut

Class of '11
Reaction Score
The staying with the university is the weirdest part. I could see him going if he got a head coaching gig at a small school or something but leaving MBB but still staying at the university? Something's up.
why is everyone going with this "something's up" narrative?

we already know he wasn't the best coach in the world. we had a sudden departure and it was very easy to get him in quickly. makes total sense to say "we don't think you meet the standards of what we're looking for as an assistant, but we really want you involved in the AD."

Reaction Score
So instead of traveling around recruiting all the time, he's going to make six figures to chill out and show off his national championship ring while he hangs out with rich alumni who worship him. Yeah this move is starting to make a lot of sense.

Reaction Score
Do we really "know" any of that? By the way, the scenario you describe is KF being fired as a coach, that would constitute "something being up."
Well you can read Freeman`s own comments on the move and see nothing is up

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Well you can read Freeman`s own comments on the move and see nothing is up
Yup just saw them. I feel happy for him. Curious to see if we have someone lined up.

Reaction Score
Wishing him the best. He has a terrific family and I hope he becomes happier because of this.

leiato, Luke murray, Webster from Va Tech are three guys I can see taking his old gig.

All 3 would be exceptional. Hopefully with an NBA player under Hurley's belt and a really solid season, we can lure a big name. Put them on the kimani path to head coaching.

A recruiter in the DMV/nationally with a decent offensive game would be ideal

Reaction Score
All 3 would be exceptional. Hopefully with an NBA player under Hurley's belt and a really solid season, we can lure a big name. Put them on the kimani path to head coaching.

A recruiter in the DMV/nationally with a decent offensive game would be ideal
I suspect Dave would certainly take the rehab image assistant job and Dan would love it too. They seemed chummy during the BET

Huskyforlife

Akokbouk
Reaction Score
Dan’s never going to have a problem with someone making a decision for legit family reasons. He did the same thing for the same exact reason when he took the St. Benedict’s job when his kids were little after being a college assistant.
I would assume so, but it must be tough having to replace an assistant you thought was gonna be here for the next 20 years.

Rico444

In the mix for six
Reaction Score
I would assume so, but it must be tough having to replace an assistant you thought was gonna be here for the next 20 years.

It's really tough for an assistant to stay at one place for 20 years; you have to be a good enough coach and recruiter to stick around that long, but not good enough to have head coaching aspirations yourself.

Reaction Score
My question is if this has been planned or if hurley didn’t know it was coming? Is he starting from scratch to hire someone new or has this been in the works and an announcement will come fairly soon on a new coach.

Reaction Score
My question is if this has been planned or if hurley didn’t know it was coming? Is he starting from scratch to hire someone new or has this been in the works and an announcement will come fairly soon on a new coach.
I’m assuming newer bc he and a recruit have been texting “every day” as of a week ago according to an article posted online.

Huskyforlife

Akokbouk
Reaction Score
It's really tough for an assistant to stay at one place for 20 years; you have to be a good enough coach and recruiter to stick around that long, but not good enough to have head coaching aspirations yourself.
Yeah but remember Freeman said it was his dream job, and I'm sure Hurley sorta knew he was doing the alumni base a favor by giving him the job.

Either way I'm sure Hurley is fine, probably just a shock when he learned the news.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NewErA

Top Bottom