Kevin Duffy: Oriakhi discovers it's a cold world | The Boneyard

Kevin Duffy: Oriakhi discovers it's a cold world

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
I'm go to check this article again tonight to see what AO Sr. has to say. His comments are always good for a laugh.

Reaction Score
A couple of points from the article........the Huskies were "great" this year and wouldn't have been better with this stiff on the team. If he watched the Mizzou games the kid was lost at times, his numbers ended up okay of cousre and good for him because that's all he cares about. But it's still the same no hands, can't pass and jog back on D guy who was here......and it was oaky for him to not play hard when he was yanked by JC at UConn?? That's what it seems.......I like KDuff but here is an example of those who did not watch closely as his season unraveled and the pain he inflicted on the team......to each their own.

Reaction Score
Duffy really glosses over the fact that it was the WAY he left. I think most, if not all, UConn fans understand his decision to leave. He was a senior and this was his place shot at the NCAAs. Roscoe was undoubtedly the more "disloyal" person, but he hasn't said a word so there is little to no vitriol. THAT is where this article should've gone.

Reaction Score
Duffy really glosses over the fact that it was the WAY he left. I think most, if not all, UConn fans understand his decision to leave. He was a senior and this was his place shot at the NCAAs. Roscoe was undoubtedly the more "disloyal" person, but he hasn't said a word so there is little to no vitriol. THAT is where this article should've gone.

But Roscoe never stopped playing hard while here, never talked about JC at least openly and just felt it was time to leave. To me Roscoe is certainly not the most "disloyal" person..........he just needed to move on and become a 3 somewhere.........

Reaction Score
Also, he says the loyalty is overblown because it would have made absolutely no sense for the guys that stayed to transfer and sit out a year. This is ridiculous, Roscoe Smith did it, and Napier, Boatright and Daniels could have done the same thing.

UChusky916

Making the board a little less insufferable
Reaction Score
I really liked Duffy's coverage during the year. But lately, he's seemed to become more like the other talking heads, trying to find stories and stir up speculation where there isn't any. I know it's the off-season, but come on!

Let's be honest, Bazz isn't going pro. Duffy promoting that idea is dumb. Saying Shabazz can't improve his stock with another year is even dumber.

Same case here. UConn's program is going in a different direction without AO. Oriakhi would not have fit into this team's culture and he's the reason the team was so fractured last year. As Benjordan states, its about the WAY he left, texting Pressey in the locker room after the NCAA tournament loss, and bad-mouthing a Hall of Fame coach and his methods.

Again, Duffy must be looking for things to write about, because I don't think anyone really cares about Oriakhi anymore. Yeah, people have disdain for him, but does this really warrant an article?! It's in the past.

Go back to writing good stuff about the team Kevin, you've been disappointing lately.

Reaction Score
Roscoe needed a fresh start and he felt UNLV was an opportunity to play small forward. While I was sad to see Scoe leave, I understand his reasoning and wish him the best the two next years. He always played hard at UConn and never bashed the program, coaching staff, or fans. He left like a man and I appreciate that he didn't have any parting shots on the way out. AO on the other hand continues to take shots at the program, and his attitude last year sucked. He was freakin captain on a NC team, but when a little adversity came his way he ran. I could not be prouder of the way our team performed this year, and I'm glad he wasn't around to sabotage the team chemistry.

Reaction Score
I really liked Duffy's coverage during the year. But lately, he's seemed to become more like the other talking heads, trying to find stories and stir up speculation where there isn't any. I know it's the off-season, but come on!

Let's be honest, Bazz isn't going pro. Duffy promoting that idea is dumb. Saying Shabazz can't improve his stock with another year is even dumber.

Same case here. UConn's program is going in a different direction without AO. Oriakhi would not have fit into this team's culture and he's the reason the team was so fractured last year. As Benjordan states, its about the WAY he left, texting Pressey in the locker room after the NCAA tournament loss, and bad-mouthing a Hall of Fame coach and his methods.

Again, Duffy must be looking for things to write about, because I don't think anyone really cares about Oriakhi anymore. Yeah, people have disdain for him, but does this really warrant an article?! It's in the past.

Go back to writing good stuff about the team Kevin, you've been disappointing lately.

I don't see the problem with the article, really. He does mention that Oriakhi messed up by taking shots at the program on his way out. I suppose he could have talked more about how ineffective Oriakhi was last year, but I don't think he was looking to completely slam the kid in this article.

And for the 100th time, Shabazz Napier is obviously thinking long and hard about declaring for the draft, and it's not because of a Kevin Duffy article. The fact that anyone would even mention Duffy as someone with any sort of influence over Napier's thought process is absurd.

CAHUSKY

UConn Class of 2013
Reaction Score
Also, he says the loyalty is overblown because it would have made absolutely no sense for the guys that stayed to transfer and sit out a year. This is ridiculous, Roscoe Smith did it, and Napier, Boatright and Daniels could have done the same thing.

They could have but it wouldnt have made any sense as they would have had to sit out a year before they were eligible. Who knows what they would have done in AO's situation. We like to romanticise the fact they stayed but they didn't really have any other great alternatives.

Edward Sargent

Sargelak
Reaction Score
Reaction Score
They could have but it wouldnt have made any sense as they would have had to sit out a year before they were eligible. Who knows what they would have done in AO's situation. We like to romanticise the fact they stayed but they didn't really have any other great alternatives.

Did it make sense for Roscoe?

CAHUSKY

UConn Class of 2013
Reaction Score
Did it make sense for Roscoe?
Yes, he wanted to play the 3 and UConn wanted him to play the 4. His decision apparently had nothing to do with the APR ban.

Reaction Score
The article misses the most important point. People dislike Alex because of HOW he left. Rocscoe doesn't evoke the same dislike. And the article doesn't get into Alex's insane father. Another huge reason why Alex is looked at in such a poor light.

Finally, no one criticizes AO because he didn't act like a wounded child. To compare O and AD is dumb.

Reaction Score
Oriakhi has had big problems with the Mizz coaching staff this year, and the same problems that occurred at UConn plagued him. Lack of playing time, uncontrolled temper and emotions on the court, lack of energy, fans were disgruntled. It's hard to change your MO this quickly especially if you run away from dealing with the underlying issues.

Duffy did make a good point that playing for JC is not for everyone. Nonetheless, the same problems have reoccurred.

By the way, the very people questioning Ollie's recruiting abilities might consider how many kids DIDN'T come to UConn because they knew Calhoun was no peach. Everyone could see how he yelled at kids. Everyone knows.

That fact alone should help Ollie, but as to whether it will bring in the tough hard kids that UConn is known for, that will be another discussion.

Reaction Score
Yes, he wanted to play the 3 and UConn wanted him to play the 4. His decision apparently had nothing to do with the APR ban.

I know it's his decision, but if Roscoe had the skills to be a 3 or if they developed over time, he would be utilized like one. DeAndre has the same build, plays the 4 here, but KO and the staff isn't asking him to be Jeff Adrien, on offense he is used like a 3. Colleges all over(and the NBA too) use stretch 4s or play prototypical 3s at the 4 to spread out the offense.

Reaction Score
If he stayed he might have been the 5. He could probably see that coming.

Reaction Score
He's definitely not on my list of favorite Huskies of all time, but I don't dislike him. Being a huge part of a national championship earns a lot of goodwill. I don't like the way he left, but that doesn't turn him into a villain to me.

As far as Oriakhi this year, his fg% has skyrocketed to 63%, he's scoring at a career high, his rebounding has returned to his '11 numbers. Of course he still has weaknesses but saying he's the same player now as he was last year is wrong, and he absolutely could have helped us this year

UChusky916

Making the board a little less insufferable
Reaction Score
I don't see the problem with the article, really. He does mention that Oriakhi messed up by taking shots at the program on his way out. I suppose he could have talked more about how ineffective Oriakhi was last year, but I don't think he was looking to completely slam the kid in this article.

And for the 100th time, Shabazz Napier is obviously thinking long and hard about declaring for the draft, and it's not because of a Kevin Duffy article. The fact that anyone would even mention Duffy as someone with any sort of influence over Napier's thought process is absurd.

When did I say that? Oh, I didn't.

I'm implying that Duffy's articles are starting to turn into those written by someone who cares more about page views and reader attention by speculating rather than actually reporting anything. This AO article isn't reporting anything new, its just written to stir people up. And Duffy's viewpoint on Shabazz "not being able to improve his draft stock" next year seems like more of the same because that's simply not factual. NBA scouts are saying he should stay in order to improve.

It's just a shame because I liked Duffy. Last off-season he was one of the few to provide some actual insight and inside information on the team rather than the typical media speculation.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
Like they say success has a million fathers, failure in an orphan. JC had a rough time of it last year, on and off the court. AO is not blameless, but neither was the coach. The guy was a big part of a tremendous season. I wish him the best.

Reaction Score
I think the article overstates the villain aspect and Duffy overuses fan feedback (social media = from the internets where everyone is a critic and vitrol at its worst). Yes most fans are pissed the Oriakhi transferred and the initial and continued shots at Calhoun. But "one of the few true villains" is a little extreme for a guy that was on a national title team. Ultimately other than the internet there are no real world ramifications for UConn fans that are upset at Oriakhi for bashing Calhoun and tranferring. Fans are going to quickly move past it and eventually Oriakhi will grow up and stop with the constant criticism and shots at Calhoun. Perhaps he will be contrite in the 3rd of his Italian league career (sorry couldn't help it).

Reaction Score
I don't hate him for leaving... AO needs to realize the hate frosting came when he took shots at JC, the program and the fans... Although the hate started when he could not catch the ball or finish around the hoop. Good luck in Europe if they event want you.

Reaction Score
I think the article overstates the villain aspect and Duffy overuses fan feedback (social media = from the internets where everyone is a critic and vitrol at its worst). Yes most fans are pissed the Oriakhi transferred and the initial and continued shots at Calhoun. But "one of the few true villains" is a little extreme for a guy that was on a national title team. Ultimately other than the internet there are no real world ramifications for UConn fans that are upset at Oriakhi for bashing Calhoun and tranferring. Fans are going to quickly move past it and eventually Oriakhi will grow up and stop with the constant criticism and shots at Calhoun. Perhaps he will be contrite in the 3rd of his Italian league career (sorry couldn't help it).

I don't see him getting past it; if his professional career doesn't go exactly the way he'd like it to, it's all going to be Calhoun's fault.

Reaction Score
When did I say that? Oh, I didn't.

I'm implying that Duffy's articles are starting to turn into those written by someone who cares more about page views and reader attention by speculating rather than actually reporting anything. This AO article isn't reporting anything new, its just written to stir people up. And Duffy's viewpoint on Shabazz "not being able to improve his draft stock" next year seems like more of the same because that's simply not factual. NBA scouts are saying he should stay in order to improve.

It's just a shame because I liked Duffy. Last off-season he was one of the few to provide some actual insight and inside information on the team rather than the typical media speculation.

My point is that, while most of us agree that Napier should come back, there is a very real chance that he will not. So Duffy isn't writing articles about Napier leaving because he wants page views - he's writing them because it might actually happen. Plus, he's hardly the only beat guy who has written about the topic - they all have.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LocalHits

Top Bottom