Kevin Duffy: make or break season? | Page 3 | The Boneyard

Kevin Duffy: make or break season?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Whole discussion is moot. Were going to be in contention for the big east title this year. Only way were not, is if the OL turns into an unmitigated disaster due to injuries.

Reaction Score
I think Duffy is spot on. don't think Manuel-Herbst will tolerate a repeat of last year's horrendous vandy-iowa state-w. mich run

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
I feel like I should frame this above quote. I'm not trying to pick on you personally, but if we have a 5-7 or 4-8 year, I would be shocked beyond belief if they got rid of Pasqualoni. There is just no way in hell. The man's first recruiting class kids are freshman now. It is an insane idea to fire someone after 2 years, especially when that person has a boatload of experience and a winning track record.

Hell, even Kragthorpe got more respect than that!!

Go right ahead and frame it. What are you going to do if you are wrong? The Kragthorpe comparison is not valid because he was hired by the same guy who fired him. P's not Manuel's guy. That's a big deal. Ask Karl Hobbs.

With the players on the team right now and the soft schedule, a losing record would be unacceptable. Now having said that, I think this entire discussion is moot because I think were are going to be over-.500.

sdhusky

1972,73 & 98 Boneyard Poster of the Year
Reaction Score
You would have to have a disaster of a coach to want to get rid of him after just two seasons. I can't imagine how bad this season would have to be for me to want or expect P to be fired.

See MD

SubbaBub

Your stupidity is ruining my country.
Reaction Score
They might not fire P for another losing season, but they sure as heck will be looking for his replacement during year 3.

Sent from my MB860 using Tapatalk 2

UConnDan97

predicting undefeated seasons since 1983
Reaction Score
Go right ahead and frame it. What are you going to do if you are wrong? The Kragthorpe comparison is not valid because he was hired by the same guy who fired him. P's not Manuel's guy. That's a big deal. Ask Karl Hobbs.

With the players on the team right now and the soft schedule, a losing record would be unacceptable. Now having said that, I think this entire discussion is moot because I think were are going to be over-.500.

First, if I'm wrong, I'll be extremely unhappy because it means we had a losing record. But the guy is not going to lose his job. I'll believe it when I see it.

I agree with you on one thing, though; we'll be over .500. And forget the Karl Hobbs comparison; give me a football coach that you can make a fair comparison to; one that kissed his job goodbye after 2 years (regardless of AD situation but also without scandal). I'd love to hear one...

Reaction Score
I feel like I should frame this above quote. I'm not trying to pick on you personally, but if we have a 5-7 or 4-8 year, I would be shocked beyond belief if they got rid of Pasqualoni. There is just no way in hell. The man's first recruiting class kids are freshman now. It is an insane idea to fire someone after 2 years, especially when that person has a boatload of experience and a winning track record.

Hell, even Kragthorpe got more respect than that!!

frame it so we can all sit around and laugh at it while we're tailgating before the Orange Bowl

this really is a silly argument because not one person here thinks his job will be in danger this time next year. personally, i (and many others, maybe including Manual) think it would be if he turned in a 4-5 win season, but since nobody is expecting anything close to that we shouldsave our bickering for something someone thinks will actually happen. we might as well argue about what color the Easter Bunny's eyes are

UConnDan97

Reaction Score
we might as well argue about what color the Easter Bunny's eyes are

They're blue! I don't even know why we would argue about that, because everyone should know that already... ;)

Reaction Score
Barring an off the field situation firing a football coach after 2 years is very rare. That being said if Manuel doesn't see hope with PP as the coach then he should cut the cord. Better now then in 4 years.

I would be very surprised if PP is our head coach going into 2014, I thought he was a horrible hire and I think Manuel agrees.

Reaction Score
This multiplied by 1,000! There is no way in hell that the winningest coach in Big East history gets only two years at UConn, a place known for coaches with long leashes, even if it is after 2 losing seasons in a row.

And to the comment that the Big East was horrible last year from another poster: we went 3-2 in the bowl season and our league champion put up 70 on another team in a BCS bowl. Give me a friggin' break!

If football (and graduation rates) were the only variables involved, you'd be right. It would take an total disaster to dislodge PP. Unfortunately, at this time, in this place, with money driving everything related to college football, PP probably needs to do more than win six or seven games. His team has to win and create the type of interest and excitement that fills stadiums and delivers TV ratings.

Not for us, but for casual fans and bandwagon jumpers; the fans that make or break attendance and rating numbers in the northeast. The end of the prospective fan's thought process has to be, "UCONN football seems to be fun and exciting! I've got to check it out."

It's not the way it should be, but my gut tells me that six or seven wins by a team perceived as boring and/or uninteresting, by the outside world and casual onlookers, probably won't sit well with the new management staff.

Reaction Score
Barring an off the field situation firing a football coach after 2 years is very rare. That being said if Manuel doesn't see hope with PP as the coach then he should cut the cord. Better now then in 4 years.

I would be very surprised if PP is our head coach going into 2014, I thought he was a horrible hire and I think Manuel agrees.

Reaction Score

Reaction Score

There were a lot of reasons to have Hobbs pushed out, and a lot of support from it within the GWU Community, having nothing to do with the change of ADs. I don't think it's fair to assume that Hobbs was safe for another year if there had not been a change of ADs.

Reaction Score
First, if I'm wrong, I'll be extremely unhappy because it means we had a losing record. But the guy is not going to lose his job. I'll believe it when I see it.

I agree with you on one thing, though; we'll be over .500. And forget the Karl Hobbs comparison; give me a football coach that you can make a fair comparison to; one that kissed his job goodbye after 2 years (regardless of AD situation but also without scandal). I'd love to hear one...

Turner Gil.

UConnDan97

Reaction Score
Turner Gil.

Good example. I'll accept that. Keep in mind that he went 1-16 in conference in those two years, though. Coach P would have to have UConn absolutely go straight in the gutter for something like this to happen here, in my opinion (2-10 or lower??). But still, good example.

Reaction Score
Whole discussion is moot. Were going to be in contention for the big east title this year. Only way were not, is if the OL turns into an unmitigated disaster due to injuries.

UConnDan97

Reaction Score

I'm already on record as saying that we're going 13-0, so I'm not worried...:cool:

UCFBfan

Semi Kings of New England!
Reaction Score
We've changed coaches once in our FBS history. That is not too much turnover.

I'm not saying we are doing this. I was saying that if PP was fired after this season like people here are suggesting if he has a bad season, it would be a bad idea.

Reaction Score
They're blue! I don't even know why we would argue about that, because everyone should know that already... ;)
i think this guy would disagree with you
Kristie.JPG

Reaction Score
If we need a new coach soon, Gus Malzahn better be a candidate.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NewErA

Top Bottom