Kenya Hunter hired as Assistant Coach | Page 6 | The Boneyard

Kenya Hunter hired as Assistant Coach

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
“When I went up to UConn,’’ he said, “once you walk into their practice facility, the amount of NBA guys and great players who have been through there and winning a national championship four years ago — and they have four of those — is really impressive.

“It’s not easier there because you have to work no matter where you are. But the brand name and the tradition of winning there will be good to work from. I’m excited about it.’’

:D

Reaction Score
I will violate the gag order - he may get Danny Griffiin’s old Developmemt job once they figure out what he did other than the hanging out with KO part. Just kidding. Actually, Danny was a good guy - wish him well.
Chief, this is even sillier than usual.

Reaction Score
“When I went up to UConn,’’ he said, “once you walk into their practice facility, the amount of NBA guys and great players who have been through there and winning a national championship four years ago — and they have four of those — is really impressive.

“It’s not easier there because you have to work no matter where you are. But the brand name and the tradition of winning there will be good to work from. I’m excited about it.’’

:D

LOL yea I just read that - “it’s not easier there ........... ok yea it’s easier there.”

Reaction Score
No disrespect to anyone on the previous staff, but the current staff is upgraded from top to bottom. That in of itself will lead to better results on the court which will lead to better recruiting, which will lead us back to our rightful place at the top of the college basketball world, and I just love it!!!

Last edited:

gtcam

Diehard since '65
Reaction Score
There's a ton of reasons. Money. Conference. More influence. Location. Closer to home. Closer to other jobs. Having the arduous task to pull recruits across the country. Most importantly, job security.

As an assistant, you're unfortunately not driving the bus of your job security, no matter how successful you are individually. If you think you're coach is on the hot seat, you start looking. If you don't like the way your guy does business, you start looking.

LeftyZone was asking why he would go from Gtown to Nebraska and those are the reasons you give? I'm a bit confused but he's at Storrs now so water under the bridge

A good hire if he can lure those top players from that DMV region away from Maryland, W.Virginia, and the aura of the ACC and even some of the NBE - that would be great
If he can improve the bigs we have now and any coming in this year I'll be very happy
The guy has a good resume and a great many people approve of his ability so BRAVO Coach DH

Drew

Its a post, about nothing!
Reaction Score
If anyone tries to tell you the UConn brand is "diminished" go ahead and sock them in the face

We hired the most in demand head coach of the cycle with a brand name in the region who then hired two Big Ten assistants that recruited multiple 4*+ level players to Minneapolis, MN and Lincoln, NE.

It means something to me how UConn is referenced in articles like the Omaha World Herald one linked above. The fact that the author unprompted says UConn is "a brand that resonates nationwide" and heaps praise on us like he does should speak volumes regarding our place in the college basketball pecking order.

Reaction Score
If anyone tries to tell you the UConn brand is "diminished" go ahead and sock them in the face

We hired the most in demand head coach of the cycle with a brand name in the region who then hired two Big Ten assistants that recruited multiple 4*+ level players to Minneapolis, MN and Lincoln, NE.

It means something to me how UConn is referenced in articles like the Omaha World Herald one linked above. The fact that the author unprompted says UConn is "a brand that resonates nationwide" and heaps praise on us like he does should speak volumes regarding our place in the college basketball pecking order.
Some people on this board were insistent this isn't the case.

Stainmaster

Occasionally Constructive
Reaction Score
*cough* @Stainmaster *cough*

I’m just biding my time until Tenspro’s first of many “if Hurley doesn’t win X games and make it this far in the tournament each of the next three years, it’s time to move on” posts.

Say what you will about me, I’ve never hyperventilated over the mention of a recruit potentially picking Xavier over us.

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score
LeftyZone was asking why he would go from Gtown to Nebraska and those are the reasons you give? I'm a bit confused but he's at Storrs now so water under the

Why are you confused? It could be a number of those. I'm guessing it was money, responsibility, conference, proving himself elsewhere. And maybe had an inkling where JT3s career was headed.

Reaction Score
I
I’m just biding my time until Tenspro’s first of many “if Hurley doesn’t win X games and make it this far in the tournament each of the next three years, it’s time to move on” posts.

Say what you will about me, I’ve never hyperventilated over the mention of a recruit potentially picking Xavier over us.
I'm just giving you a hard time. I know you're happily surprised as opposed to others who are more concerned that they were wrong

Reaction Score
Silly me to think Drew was referring to the people who screamed KO killed the program and we'd never recover.
That crowd exists too. If we gave him a lifetime contract like some were suggesting then yes I think that was our future.

Reaction Score

Give it 7 months.

Reaction Score

I've never seen someone so gleeful in declaring that other people should accept Yankee-Conference standards for this program.

Stainmaster

Occasionally Constructive
Reaction Score
I've never seen someone so gleeful in declaring that other people should accept Yankee-Conference standards for this program.

I’ve never seen someone with a doctorate so wedded to the illogical idea that the standards of individual message board posters determines the success or failure of the program.

I hope UConn basketball can make you happy in the future, but at this point I don’t think it ever will — no matter how much any of the rest of us view the program as “successful.”

Reaction Score
I’ve never seen someone with a doctorate so wedded to the illogical idea that the standards of individual message board posters determines the success or failure of the program.

Strawmaster strikes again -- I defy you to find an instance where I have argued that "the standards of individual message board posters determines the success or failure of the program".

Generous guy that I am, I'll respond to the spirit of your assertion. Do you think that the fanbase, boosters, alums, media, etc., being tolerant of KO's abysmal performance would have made it more likely that KO would be retained, and therefore more likely that such awful performance would continue? Do you think that the AD completely tunes those people out when taking the pulse of the program?

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NYCVET

Top Bottom