Kentucky recruiting (I know slippery slope) | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Kentucky recruiting (I know slippery slope)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Changing the age to enter the NBA to 20 would make the recruiting monopoly that is UK fall mightily. If you have to stay in college for two years, all of a sudden the top players actually have to worry about player development and coaching ability rather than a fast track to the NBA.

Not saying he won't still dominate recruiting, but it may at least even out the playing field a little bit. I personally hate UK's domination in recruiting because it doesn't disperse the top talent across the top programs. Games would be so much more interesting and exciting if the top 10 players played for 10 different programs.
He's past that point now. Any program can offer a "fast track" to a top 10 player. It's about hype now, and UK is the biggest hype train in the business/sport, thanks to ESPN. I really don't think Cal has had to try after he got the Anthony Davis class.

Reaction Score
As i said I wasn't trying begin an argument i was just recognizing the fact they pulled in these recruits, three in a week, thought it would interesting be to some people on here since so many topics tend to find their way to Kentucky
No argument here. Just having a little fun. No offense meant.

Reaction Score
I agree. This is really going to be a problem for our beloved Huskies. How in the world are we going to compete with team loaded with 5* recruits at every position when all we do is pull in 3 and 4* players?!!!.....Im sorry ive just been informed that we make UK,Calipari and their 5* recruits our b@tches in the final four on a regular basis. Nothing to see here,move along now.
The attitude of, "it worked in the past so it will always work" is exactly how people get surprised by change. Coaches have had to adapt as kids changed and as the game changed. Assuming what worked in the past will always work is the opposite of adapting. Coach K has adapted and that is why he won another one last year. If coach K decided that he needed to get some one and done players to keep up with squiddy, maybe it is a good idea. KO built our current team on four star players and transfers. The transfers are actually the key to whatever success they have. It might turn out to be a great approach to fighting the talent hoarding at Kentucky and Duke but I am not sure there will be a Gibbs and Miller out there every year.

Reaction Score
Changing the age to enter the NBA to 20 would make the recruiting monopoly that is UK fall mightily. If you have to stay in college for two years, all of a sudden the top players actually have to worry about player development and coaching ability rather than a fast track to the NBA.

Not saying he won't still dominate recruiting, but it may at least even out the playing field a little bit. I personally hate UK's domination in recruiting because it doesn't disperse the top talent across the top programs. Games would be so much more interesting and exciting if the top 10 players played for 10 different programs.
I think they would still go to Kentucky as they pay the best out of all the college teams. The best way to stop the madness is to keep the age rule but allow players the option of entering the draft and, if drafted, make them play a year in the D league.

Reaction Score
I don't understand why the top players think that playing at Kentucky or Duke or North Carolina or for Cal or whoever is going to get them into the NBA after one year. The borderline kids, who aren't top talents, I can understand thinking that a top program with better TV exposure is going to help get you to the league. The top talents are going in the draft anyway. Skal is a lottery pick without Cal. Ben Simmons could have played a year of college at Fairfield and he'd still be a top lottery pick. Interesting that he picked LSU over the "blue bloods" in his case though.

Reaction Score
Ok so you need to give Cal some credit her for sure, actually a ton of credit. I mean he has kids and their parents brainwashed into thinking he's the KING of getting their kid into the next level. It's coming with a price though and we saw it last year and will se it more & more until people get smarter. There's no doubt the talk of "this guy will leave, we'll make this guy great and he will leave" makes kids sign to be the next great. But when a kid realizes, and his parents too, he's not ready or he actually likes school (the one's that see class that is) and he stays he ruins all of Cal's promises for the next year. The Harrison twins killed him but he couldn't very well tell them to leave, they didn't get much better under his tutelage. Neither has Lee and a few others, more than we believe. No excuses on titles when you have that talent year in year out. Truth is if you actually made them NBA ready as you say shouldn't you win a lot of titles since they are the best players in the NCAA?

Fraud

Reaction Score
I don't understand why the top players think that playing at Kentucky or Duke or North Carolina or for Cal or whoever is going to get them into the NBA after one year. The borderline kids, who aren't top talents, I can understand thinking that a top program with better TV exposure is going to help get you to the league. The top talents are going in the draft anyway. Skal is a lottery pick without Cal. Ben Simmons could have played a year of college at Fairfield and he'd still be a top lottery pick. Interesting that he picked LSU over the "blue bloods" in his case though.
As I said, that's not what it's about anymore. It's about these 17-18 year olds wanting to and getting hyped on ESPN every day. And those three programs are in a different echelon of exposure. It's some cheap , but they're 17-18 year olds and are mesmerized by that kind of stuff.

BRS24

LisaG
Reaction Score

I agree. What I don't get, but perhaps not important to 16-17 y/o, is how can you compare Cal to Ollie? Yeah, Cal gets his kids drafted in first round, but are they prepared for a long term NBA career? Compare that to Ollie, who had to fight for each and every contract, and managed to piece together a pretty fine NBA career.

BUConn10

Artist formerly known as BUHusky10
Reaction Score
I think it's kinda funny when UConn fans say "I'm glad UConn isn't a OAD program" as if Ollie is turning these kids down or that he's capable of bringing in Cal-type classes. Recruiting at his level has gone beyond the traditional game, and has more to do with his extensive NBA connections with agents and scouts, he knows exactly who is on which teams radar, so he targets guys that are basically guarenteed to be gone after a year, and that's part of his recruiting pitch, which is why the kids follow through and you see all these guys who are supposed to go elsewhere (Bam Adebayo, Monk) "surprising" everyone when they go UK.

Also a prediction: I predict Wenyen Gabriel declassifies from UK before the 2016 season and goes to Maryland.

Reaction Score
I think it's kinda funny when UConn fans say "I'm glad UConn isn't a OAD program" as if Ollie is turning these kids down or that he's capable of bringing in Cal-type classes. Recruiting at his level has gone beyond the traditional game, and has more to do with his extensive NBA connections with agents and scouts, he knows exactly who is on which teams radar, so he targets guys that are basically guarenteed to be gone after a year, and that's part of his recruiting pitch, which is why the kids follow through and you see all these guys who are supposed to go elsewhere (Bam Adebayo, Monk) "surprising" everyone when they go UK.

Also a prediction: I predict Wenyen Gabriel declassifies from UK before the 2016 season and goes to Maryland.
Would be hard for him to do - he already signed his LOI.

Reaction Score
Would be hard for him to do - he already signed his LOI.
I don't get what some of these guys are thinking. If Marcus Lee doesn't declare, although i expect him to, they have him, Willis, Humphries, Adebayo, Killeya-Jones, and Wenyen at the 4/5, that is a logjam and a half.

caw

Reaction Score
I don't get what some of these guys are thinking. If Marcus Lee doesn't declare, although i expect him to, they have him, Willis, Humphries, Adebayo, Killeya-Jones, and Wenyen at the 4/5, that is a logjam and a half.

Pretty sure Wenyen was promised the three...

Reaction Score
The attitude of, "it worked in the past so it will always work" is exactly how people get surprised by change. Coaches have had to adapt as kids changed and as the game changed. Assuming what worked in the past will always work is the opposite of adapting. Coach K has adapted and that is why he won another one last year. If coach K decided that he needed to get some one and done players to keep up with squiddy, maybe it is a good idea. KO built our current team on four star players and transfers. The transfers are actually the key to whatever success they have. It might turn out to be a great approach to fighting the talent hoarding at Kentucky and Duke but I am not sure there will be a Gibbs and Miller out there every year.

I understand what you`re saying i just dont see the big deal with the one and done thing. The only thing one and dones do for your program is theyll keep you in the tourney every year ill give you that. But that doesnt guarantee anything at all and if you look at this one and done formula Squid is using since 2009 its produced 4 final fours and 1 national title. Uconn doing it their way in that time has 3 final fours and 2 titles.

Until schools with Uber recruiting classes start dominating the tourney every year im not going to lament the fact that we dont get one and dones. In fact while i would like to see Ollie pull in a UK type class sometime i really do enjoy watching the talented kids that we bring in that go on to do great things over 2 or 3 years.

Reaction Score
I laugh at how bad Calipari is fleecing BBN.
Unless they take away the title and all the Final Fours, I fail to see how he is fleecing them. In his time there, their results are:

E8
FF
NC
NIT
Runner-up
FF

I mean, only two teams in the country wouldn't trade with BBN. That's it.

Reaction Score
I understand what you`re saying i just dont see the big deal with the one and done thing. The only thing one and dones do for your program is theyll keep you in the tourney every year ill give you that. But that doesnt guarantee anything at all and if you look at this one and done formula Squid is using since 2009 its produced 4 final fours and 1 national title. Uconn doing it their way in that time has 3 final fours and 2 titles.

Until schools with Uber recruiting classes start dominating the tourney every year im not going to lament the fact that we dont get one and dones. In fact while i would like to see Ollie pull in a UK type class sometime i really do enjoy watching the talented kids that we bring in that go on to do great things over 2 or 3 years.

It's not this complicated. The best players are in college for one year. If Duke wants to sign the best players, they need to sign some kids that are going to be in school for one year. That's pretty much it. And I don't buy this notion that Ollie has some philosophy about building a program on four year players and grad transfers. Over the long haul, that's a recipe for a second tier team. It's been the way the ball has bounced in his first couple seasons but if guys like Paesano really think that Ollie would turn down Jason Tatum or Jamal Murray or any of these other guys they're flat out insane.

Incidentally, it's obviously a generalization but look at who the young future stars in the NBA are right now. It's not the kids, by and large, that were in school for four years.

Reaction Score
We pay for titles, not final 4 banners.
Sure, but he isn't fleecing them. He's got one of those, too.

Let's be honest: if Ollie has a run like that, ever, he's guaranteed to make the HOF. I mean, in that one run of 5 years Cal equalled every major accomplishment of Jim Boeheim. And JB is in the hall.

Reaction Score
nlah blah blah something stupid...if guys like Paesano really think that Ollie would turn down Jason Tatum or Jamal Murray or any of these other guys they're flat out insane...blah blah blah something stupid
Listen, moron, if anyone is insane it us the guy who thinks the voices in his head are real and that would be you. While some people here might think Ollie intentionally recruits 4 star players that will stay for 4 years, I have never been one of them. In fact, I have said several times that I think he would love more of those players but that he doesn't get any of them because he plays the game cleanly, unlike your hero the squid.

Are you ever going to tell us why you are such a squid fanboy? Did you grow up in MA and go to UConn? The other way around perhaps? You seem too dim to gave gotten an undergrad degree at one school and a grad degree at the other.

Reaction Score
And, to clarify, when I say "more of those players" I mean unanimous 5 star players that may only stick around a year or two. Yeah, he would take one or two a year but he isn't willing to do what it takes to get them and that comes from a source far closer to him than you will ever be.

Hopefully Diallo will be a rare exception.

Reaction Score
Are you ever going to tell us why you are such a squid fanboy? Did you grow up in MA and go to UConn? The other way around perhaps? You seem too dim to gave gotten an undergrad degree at one school and a grad degree at the other.

I could have sworn you posted something about your grandkid once, so you're obviously not an eight year old, but you definitely post like one.

Incidentally, since you've got this figured out, and since you know that Ollie "isn't willing to do what it takes" to get "unanimous 5 star players," tell me what rules Coach K or Bill Self are breaking to get those kids, or is it just Calipari that sends guys with bags of cash in your fantasy-land? Oh, that's right, you have no idea what you're talking about.

Reaction Score
There are reasons not to go to UK, but the only thing stranger than the reaction to Cal's recruiting results is the notion that he is somehow wronging these kids, or "brainwashing them." How? The guy has put a billion guys in the NBA (and not just bench types, bonafide superstars), so if you're goal is to get to the NBA, it's been proven you're better off going to Kentucky or Duke than UCLA or Indiana or Baylor.

Actually, stranger than that is the idea that the abolishment of the one-and-done would disintegrate Cal's system. I would argue quite the opposite - I mean Jesus, he had one of his best teams ever last season and only started one freshman. The guy can skin a cat in multiple ways and will continue to do so (see Tyler Ulis).

Reaction Score
There are reasons not to go to UK, but the only thing stranger than the reaction to Cal's recruiting results is the notion that he is somehow wronging these kids, or "brainwashing them." How? The guy has put a billion guys in the NBA (and not just bench types, bonafide superstars), so if you're goal is to get to the NBA, it's been proven you're better off going to Kentucky or Duke than UCLA or Indiana or Baylor.

Actually, stranger than that is the idea that the abolishment of the one-and-done would disintegrate Cal's system. I would argue quite the opposite - I mean Jesus, he had one of his best teams ever last season and only started one freshman. The guy can skin a cat in multiple ways and will continue to do so (see Tyler Ulis).
I think making his talent a little weaker (taking away Anthony Davis, for instance) would even the playing field a bit. So too, I think, would making the NBA age limit 20, since a player like Nerlens Noel might not be comfortable sitting behind Davis.

But the guy isn't a bad coach. He adapts well. You don't have to like him to know he can coach (those UMass teams were very good without this type of challenge). He a scummy guy and not a great in-game coach, but he can recruit and game-plan well. You can't go to 4 Final Fours and win a title in 5 years without being good at this coaching thing.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MTSuitsky

Top Bottom