Kentucky Phenomenon is Awful | The Boneyard

Kentucky Phenomenon is Awful

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Just watched the "highlights" on ESPN for the Kentucky/Vanderbilt game that was within a bucket in score past the 3/4 mark of the game. Showed about 10 plays, all of which were Kentucky plays. Showed Calipari micced up on the sidelines, "coaching up" his players. Was a Kentucky Highlight reel more than anything. Considering the vast difference in talent, it would have been much more entertaining for me as a fan to see some highlights from Vanderbilt that show how they managed to keep it close against much greater talent.

Here are some things in life I can't wait to see end, in no particular order:

1. The current Calipari/Kentucky recruiting dominance.
2. Dick Vitale's broadcasting career.
3. Cancer.

pj

Reaction Score
ESPN gave up journalism a long time ago to become a propaganda organ. That wasn't so bad until they decided they had to have one or two marquee "celebrity" properties and focus all their propaganda on them. So they only talk about the SEC and ACC, and they've gotten so that they talk (bball) almost entirely about Kentucky, occasionally about Duke, and hardly at all about anyone else.

It's as if they want every viewer in the country to become a Kentucky basketball fan, and they think that's what will maximize their cable subscriptions nationwide. I can't believe this is a good strategy, unless their goal is to pay a pittance for as many properties as possible, as they do with the AAC.

Reaction Score
uk for the casual, non invested fan its an noteable attraction.

Its like football's Alabama to me. I don't notice the lathering nor does it bother me. Its just 'entertainment words' to a certain extent. Perhaps to Auburn fans I'm sure its different.

Reaction Score
it is what it is. I wanna hate Calipari but I just can't, even though I think he's probably doing some damage to college basketball as a whole. I can understand why recruits like him.

Curiouser
Reaction Score
What's even worse imo are the "I am a huge [team beating/playing KY close] fan for the next __ minutes" threads, which inevitably end in KY winning. Post after the upset; don't jinx it with a premature thread.

pj

Reaction Score
What's even worse imo are the "I am a huge [team beating/playing KY close] fan for the next __ minutes" threads, which inevitably end in KY winning. Post after the upset; don't jinx it with a premature thread.

I want them to go undefeated, then flameout against the 8 seed in the second round.

And I want that 8 seed to be us.

4in16

uses the force
Reaction Score
I want them to go undefeated, then flameout against the 8 seed in the second round.

If we make the tourney I wouldn't put it past the committee to give us the 8/9 seed that lines up with UK just like they tried in 2012, hopefully getting by the first round if in this time though.

Reaction Score

If this were to happen id collapse,fall into a coma and eventually die from the uncontrollable fit of laughter id be struck with when the buzzer sounded. Im an athiest and last year i prayed if there were a god that uk would beat wisky dick in the semi so we could play them in the final.

Reactions: pj
Reaction Score
8893 said:

Honestly, I've appreciated those threads a couple times. Sometimes I see a thread started here when I'm not paying attention to national scores and find out there's a good game going on somewhere to pay attention to. I never would have had any idea that Texas A&M had a chance to beat them, for example. Ended up catching a pretty good one, even though I didn't like that UK escaped.

But I could be in the minority. Maybe the odds of people being on the yard and not knowing up to date scores are pretty slim.

Reaction Score
it is what it is. I wanna hate Calipari but I just can't, even though I think he's probably doing some damage to college basketball as a whole. I can understand why recruits like him.

Explain to me why they like him? It has to be because ESPN and the rest of the media has allowed him to be someone he isn't right? Remember this is the same guy who told recruits that Louie Carnasseca was dying, he's not the media darling they portray him to be, he's a real good salesman who sold himself to UK and the media, and that's a W for him because now these kids and parents think they have it all figured out. Well he's the winner and good for him but he's still that same guy who allowed his UMass team to basically skate the academic system in the 90's with less that 2.0's, walk around with over 20K on their necks in their number and grabbed the banner they proudly displayed on his way out to burn while heading to Memphis to repeat this. That's Cal, not what you see. Some things never change I'm sorry to tell you!

Reaction Score
And yet many of those complaining about Kentucky are Yankees fans.

Reaction Score
Explain to me why they like him?
When it comes to a guy like Calipari, there are two types of people:

1. People who submit to the charm.
2. People who understand that the man is an insincere sack of garbage who would sell his mother if the price was right.

pj

Reaction Score
When it comes to a guy like Calipari, there are two types of people:

1. People who submit to the charm.
2. People who understand that the man is an insincere sack of garbage who would sell his mother if the price was right.

I think a lot of his players are in both groups simultaneously.

Someone said of Don King that you knew he was taking advantage of you, but he made it feel so good you wanted it to keep going on.

Reaction Score
I particularly don't like Kentucky, but lets face facts, having an antagonist in sports helps to drive ratings. ESPN is in the ratings business, and will provide extra coverage on polarizing players/teams (like Kentucky) especially when they fill up the inventory of channels that they own. With added coverage on Kentucky's march to perfection, don't you think the causal fan may tune into a random Kentucky-Alabama game on the SEC Network with perfection on the line?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leepaul

Top Bottom