Kentucky - Louisville Game | The Boneyard

Kentucky - Louisville Game

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Wow, what a frustrating game for both coaches. Kentucky misses layup after layup with a hand in their face; and Shoni Shimmel makes two bonehead plays for each spectacular one. She would drive Geno to an early grave.

Odd watching Samarie Walker; she had foul trouble the whole game, but played well enough. Not too long ago we were all so sad when she transferred. Funny, how a new year and talented freshmen make you forget Samarie.

Mitchell and Walz look like each other....must be the Kentucky water.

pinotbear

Silly Ol' Bear
Reaction Score
pretty ugly, with little smooth flow on offense for either team. Not impressive.

Reaction Score
I watched the entire game, and it was like watching Rutgers, given how horrible the offenses were. The defense by both teams were good though. However, I am amazed at how much the commentators pump up Schimmel. I think her personal story is great, but every time I have seen her, I am reminded how much I dislike her game.

I think of Schimmel as the anti-Faris, who wants all the flash but is dreadful/lazy at all the little things. For every insane three-pointer (both in her hitting it, and in how ill-advised the shot appears to be), there are at least two misses and a turnover. Just looked up the stats: she was 4-15, including 3-10 from 3, and had 11 TO's!!

Likewise, I was not impressed with Adia Mathies. BUT I was really impressed with Stallworth, who actually seemed to play controlled, but aggressive, basketball amongst a sea of frenzied, turnover-happy players.

Reaction Score
My wife watched 10 minutes of the second half and said to me Uconn will destroy either of these teams by 30 or 40 points after I told her they were ranked 7th and 9th.

Reaction Score
Neither team can score enough points to win against the top four teams...

Reaction Score
I watched the entire game, and it was like watching Rutgers, given how horrible the offenses were. The defense by both teams were good though. However, I am amazed at how much the commentators pump up Schimmel. I think her personal story is great, but every time I have seen her, I am reminded how much I dislike her game.

I think of Schimmel as the anti-Faris, who wants all the flash but is dreadful/lazy at all the little things. For every insane three-pointer (both in her hitting it, and in how ill-advised the shot appears to be), there are at least two misses and a turnover. Just looked up the stats: she was 4-15, including 3-10 from 3, and had 11 TO's!!
....................................................................................................................................

I am amazed at the double standard Walz has for Shoni. Walz allows her to do anything she wants, from stupid shots, to terrible passes, and playing no defense. Yet when another player makes a minor mistake they are out of the game in a heartbeat. Shimmel has gained weight, and is in terrible shape too.

Reaction Score
They were discussing Shoni's weight gain on the Louisville forum. They lamented that weight training rather than required is up to each individual player choice.

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
One thing I found amazing is that the offense usually consisted of 1 person not only bringing the ball up the court but also dribbling around the perimeter - again by only 1 person. Probably close to 25% of the turnovers for both teams seemed to result because the players simply didn't pass the ball, but instead kept it and dribbled around and around.

It really made the passing of UCONN much more obvious. When a team breaks out a full court press, we pass the ball up the court. on offense, yes the players move without the ball, but we pass it ALL THE TIME around the perimeter.

It was a painful game to watch as a fan, and probably as a coach, but why do these apparent top notch coaches refuse to teach passing and ball movement to their teams?

Reaction Score
I was impressed with Deines. I think she has a ton of potential if she polishes up her game.

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
I tuned in and hoped for a good game. Did not stick around for second half. Commentators reported first half stat of a combined total of 29 turn overs and I believe it. Very surprised by Shimmel's appearance. Really a disappointment, given the ranking of these two clubs.

Reaction Score
the few minutes that i saw samarie play in the second half she showed more flat out hustle than anyone else on the floor. she really plays hard. perhaps that's part of what geno liked about her.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dogsdogsdog

Top Bottom